View from Press Row - Canes vs Flames

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Always have lived in NC, currently live in Chapel Hill. Definitely thought this was from the same TSN that you all thought it was from.

Unfortunate name for someone covering hockey.

My store, Wallmart seems to be doing great. People said it was too similar to another business out there but people in my area know the difference.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The calendar really let me show off my versatility

poster-1337705087_zoolander_calendar.gif

Well, ****. That makes me the second guy in the thread claiming that he's doing his own thing and not coattailing some established institution.

I honestly thought I was doing some serious funny original humor, but even I myself am not buying that now. Getting taken over by the spirit of Derek Zoolander is my new low.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
Apologies JWEKD on the misspelling.
For the record, I never inferred what you have in your reply.
BTW - Do you remember that season's playoff run?
Your thoughts?
I'm just messing around.

The Flyers run in 97? If that's what you're referring to, I don't remember much other than getting swept. But at that age (12), you're certain your team will win soon enough. :ha:

My friend was a Wings fan, born and raised in Raleigh. How convenient for him... Anyway, don't want to clog up the Canes board with Flyers talk.

TSportsNet

When did Peter karmanos decide to buy out TSN and move the triangle to cover the canes?

On a serious note though, what is the origin of your surname? Can't decide between Greek, Baltic, or German.

Greek.

I'm just messing around.

The Flyers run in 97? If that's what you're referring to, I don't remember much other than getting swept. But at that age (12), you're certain your team will win soon enough. :ha:

My friend was a Wings fan, born and raised in Raleigh. How convenient for him... Anyway, don't want to clog up the Canes board with Flyers talk.

No - making it to playoffs in 2016 when it looked they were out of playoff race for WC spot.

Bringing this back to topic, it's absolutely true that the Canes are a team that needs a particular flow and timing in order to be effective. They flat-out don't perform when their opponent disrupts the timing of their breakouts -- largely because they still don't have the talent in place to dominate on an individual level. Too often, opposing pressure turns into panic plays where a Cane either sends the puck out of reach of his target, flubs it off a skate or stick, or just dumps it to a space and retreats. That stuff adds up over the course of the game, and we end up with tilted ice like we saw against Calgary.

What talent is missing, should RF target for?

IMO, acquiring established and consistent 25-35 goal scorers, one or two of them a few years ago, would have been a start to have the experience established to help with young players' development.

However, paying for them at what was market rate ($4-5 million/year) a few years ago wasn't in the plan.

Acquiring Williams was a late realization to doing something along those lines.

Youth movement, and locking them in eventually with these 4-6 year contracts is anticipating a handful of them become said 25-35 goal scorers.

Scoring depth among some of those players, (i.e. Rask and Lindholm) not necessarily happening fast enough, plentiful enough, nor consistently enough.

Scoring goals continues to be the shortfall to success, as it has in recent years.

Peters has stated that repeatedly, and particularly more this season.

Will fans accept another missed playoff season waiting for it all to come together?

Your thoughts?

Of which you appear to be the only employee. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Again: you're not the only credentialed media member here. You're not the only stringer here. Don't oversell your access. It just makes us question your credibility.

Good to hear.

Wasn't aware of other credential Hurricanes media members here - from what outlets?

I'd love to catch up with them since I see everyone at each game and in pre- and post-game scrums.

I can't tell who anyone is here because they don't openly identify themselves.

I've done my part in that regard.

Now, do you have anything hockey related on what happened over the weekend to bring to everyone reading this tired vetting of me due to a simple game recap post I offered up or not?

I'm moving on to hockey.

Thanks.

Agree, but even though his OP touched on that, his article didn't go into it at all. A rather disappointing article that read like a box score with a few player quotes.

That's what a game recap from TSN is, particularly once its posted following post-game scrums and presser.

I'll usually put out an analysis later in the week of not one game, but a longer stretch of games; as one game, to me, is not a sample size of recurring success or failure or accurately can highlight trends.

My thoughts in the OP was to spur discussion of the game, not necessarily TSN, me or anything to that effect.

Only one poster has put up something of substance in that regard since then.

Is that the kind of reception all new posters on this board must endure - this vitriol?

Is this what committed Hurricanes fans act like because others who I interact with in-person or via social media don't come close to this.

I've endured it because I'm amazed at how you persist, and if you've noticed, I have a deep enough skin to take it.

Now let's talk hockey and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's what a game recap from TSN is, particularly once its posted following post-game scrums and presser.

I'll usually put out an analysis later in the week of not one game, but a longer stretch of games; as one game, to me, is not a sample size of recurring success or failure or accurately can highlight trends.

My thoughts in the OP was to spur discussion of the game, not necessarily TSN, me or anything to that effect.

Is that the kind of reception all new posters on this board must endure - this vitriol?

1) The initial response was that people thought it was the real TSN and that your name was misleading. Rather than say something like "I could see how some might confuse that", you instead said "Not at all" and went on to talk about your credentials and how we should all know about your company and there's no way anyone should confuse it with the real TSN. Yet, not one single poster in heard of it. You complain about vitrol, but you didn't do anything to endure yourself to the posters here, in fact, came across very poorly. If you can't see that, well, don't blame the 20 other posters.

2) I read your article and responded with feedback to your article twice.

Regarding the article, it was rather disappointing to me. Based on the opening post, I expected the article would provide some insight into some of the things written in the OP. Like talking about the system, what Calgary did to "jam up" one the cogs, etc.., but instead it was just a recap of the game with a few quotes. Not anything we really can't get in a dozen other places.

I received no response.

Agree, but even though his OP touched on that, his article didn't go into it at all. A rather disappointing article that read like a box score with a few player quotes.

Now you responded and explained that the article wasn't meant to go into that.

Are you saying you don't want feedback on your article? Or that you only want positive feedback? Just curious.

Now let's talk hockey and move on.

Fine by me. Give us some real insight that we don't get elsewhere or join in to some of the many threads where discussion is already occurring. Would be happy to discuss it.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You posted this not to "spur discussion of the game", but rather get hits to your site/article

We're not discussing anything here because we've already got multiple topics discussing what you'd like us to discuss here. The GDT is what you're looking for if you'd like to discuss the game/post-game. We've got an Aho injury thread, which has also broken into a discussion of possible trades and "team toughness."

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Always have lived in NC, currently live in Chapel Hill. Definitely thought this was from the same TSN that you all thought it was from.

Unfortunate name for someone covering hockey.

Touche' I too live in chapel hill. What neighborhood do you live in?

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
You have to admit, anyone posts an article on here and it’s torn apart in 6 seconds. I’ve never understood that. If you don’t like it, don’t click on it and don’t comment on it. Is it that bad to try and gain a readership (regardless of who it is)? Maybe it is, I don’t know.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think many, probably unfairly, are jaded from LastWordArmy. The guy seemed to just carpet bomb the forum with articles, new threads, and the like but rarely, if ever stayed around for any discussion or responded to any comments, good or bad. It went down hill from there. We used to get some articles from Cory, some of the Canes Country posters on this board, and way back, IIRC, some from the Sunbelt Hockey Journal. I don't recall those getting torn apart (but maybe I'm mis-remembering) and enjoyed seeing them.

I think it's fair to discuss what a person likes and dislikes about a posted article though, and would hope that the author would want that feedback. Like I said earlier, I did click on the article and read it because I was hoping, based on his OP that there would be more discussion in the article about what he talked about in the OP (Peter's system and how specifically Calgary jammed it up), but there wasn't any of that so I was disappointed in the article. When/if, he does an article aimed at that topic, I'll read it and discuss it.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Unless the writer of any article is there at practice and/or in the locker room between periods, he's not telling us anything we don't already know. Using this forum as advertising for your business is gauche since there is no reason not to simply post your thoughts here as the rest of us do, especially with all the bells and whistles you can add to posts on this new system. This is compounded if someone who is not a regular poster comes in and starts a new thread trying to draw attention to themselves/their product. If someone who posted frequently put up a link in the relevant thread to something they had written elsewhere it would be a lot more acceptable because it would feel like the continuation of a conversation among peers, not a door to door salesman ringing the doorbell during dinner.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You have to admit, anyone posts an article on here and it’s torn apart in 6 seconds. I’ve never understood that. If you don’t like it, don’t click on it and don’t comment on it. Is it that bad to try and gain a readership (regardless of who it is)? Maybe it is, I don’t know.

I pay money to use the site ad-free. Someone coming here starting a new separate thread a) where the main content of OP is mainly a link to a commercially written article of ones own writing b) on a topic that is already discussed in other dedicated threads is not the most welcome thing in face of that. I want to discourage that sort of thing because I certainly don't want it to become an accepted standard practice in commercial sports reporting, and by letting one person do it unpestered I kind of okay it for seventeen other persons too.

Admittedly I'm not happy about it even if it was a post in a dedicated thread, if the onus of the post is that to actually get the poster's thoughts and the pearls of his NHL wisdom I am expected to click on a link to go read it on a separate site where the poster, by a perfectly happy coincidence, gets the ad revenue.

But actually the guy has to additionally mess it up himself too somehow, like LastRemakeOfBeauGeste hogging on all the Entry Draft pick thread starting* glory for himself or "TSN Hockey Net" here with the curious user name choice. It doesn't obviously help that when it says TSN on top you're kind of already expecting a Canadian location being put forward as the new future home of the franchise within the article.

Like, presented as a profile of a prospective customer. Businesses usually have to pay mony to get this intel.

* With xenforo this will be an aggravated offence because it stupidly has the starter's avatar associated with the thread (on desktop view). The next time we'll goddamn start the pick threads already on the previous day and only add the player's name to the title once we know who got picked.

Just look at the Eetu thread a little down the page. That logo right there is a goddamn ad.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Boom Boom touched on it a bit, as did AD Skinner. A lot of the articles are just those who "seagull" the board. As in, they drop their shit off and move on. They don't have any real interest in discussion, just simply want the hits on their site/article.

I don't mind writers posting their articles for views. I know how terrible the view count to money ratio generally is, so you've got to post your article pretty much anywhere you can if you want to earn anything.

However, when I was starting out, one of the first lessons I learned was that if you want views, you have to engage your audience. That means your article has to have something worth discussing (simple game recaps are worthless, for the most part) and you have to stick around and discuss it.

I used to post articles here, What the Faulk did as well. I'm sure I'm missing someone else. If any of the established members, those that have shown they're here for more than just a fly-by, posted an article, they'd likely get a less volatile response.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Is this what committed Hurricanes fans act like because others who I interact with in-person or via social media don't come close to this.

Because of reasons, many of us can suggest a plausible alternative motivation for posting the OP.

In any case, nothing in the OP warrants a new thread as there is already a thread in place for discussing the game. Generally, a new poster on a board will also do well to not presume to nominate himself in his first post as the master of ceremony and center piece for "spurring a discussion" on matters that, as should be obvious, are already getting discussed of. In the circumstances, many of us probably are not too convinced that you planned to actually stay and participate in the discussion you tell us you meant to "spur".

A new poster is obviously free to join the discussion. How welcomed he will be is a thing he himself really has a lot of say on. The other posters will always have their own motivation for posting on this like any other board, and they hardly should be expected to be some binary monkeys to wait in the rafters and eagerly jump on any not-too-original point that doesn't much tickle their fancy.

If you were to go in middle of a market place and try to initiate a sing-along with total strangers there, you better see that your kumbaya rings and maybe not as the first thing stack out the cassettes that you were planning to sell them.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
People are less friendly on the internet than in person? That's a hot taek if I've ever seen one.

The article is pretty good for a recap, but as BBA mentioned, that didn't seem to be what was implied in the OP. I'll be curious to read one of these deeper "analysis" articles, I'm not sure I see any posted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad