Videogame Spritework Appreciation Thread

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I miss the old aesthetic of videogames, think it's a great injustice that it's basically a dead art-form now (or at least now an inferior and limited one), and have never been able to get anything close to the same kick out of 3D models.

Lately, I've been in absolute awe of the sublime art of SNK fighting games in particular.

lastblade2-shimiji-mountain-pass-stage.gif

animated-gifs-of-fighting-game-backgrounds-50.gif

animated-gifs-of-fighting-game-backgrounds-24.gif

animated-gif-of-fighting-games-backgrounds-34.gif

animated-gifs-of-fighting-game-backgrounds-18.gif

3npcLkS.gif

uM4SUXw.gif

4FCpx4v.gif

crJ8D.gif

baIXe.gif

lastblade2-graveyard-stage.gif

animated-gifs-of-fighting-game-backgrounds-15.gif

v745rRo.gif

CnY0rBh.gif

lastblade2-forgotten-forest-stage.gif

animated-gifs-of-fighting-game-backgrounds-37.gif

Just felt randomly compelled to make a thread for this. Post your favorites and thoughts on this type of stuff, I guess.

Last edited:

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I grew up with stuff like Marvel vs Capcom and the amazing spritework was a big reason why I fell in love with Street Fighter and Marvel characters. Capcom was unreal back in the day.

sent-win.gif

I agree that 3D just ain't the same. It's a shame really, but maybe it's more a product of the times.

Even the promo art doesn't compare.
iu

aXfYAK9LMZ4OLUvS8PYQa-iZx6HUOd9rqfib9IlFnio.jpg

(Both by Bengus)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've always preferred 320x200 hand drawn graphics to higher resolutions. When PC games transitioned to higher resolutions in the mid-90s, some of the charm was lost, IMO. It was especially the case with point-and-click adventures, which were at their peak during the 320x200 256-color VGA era. At that resolution, the graphics could be lush and detailed and the limited resolution no doubt left more time to improve other aspects of the games. At 640x480, however, graphics were either so detailed that the rest of the games didn't get much attention or they weren't much more detailed than they would've been at 320x200; there was just more dead space between details that was filled in with single colors. 640x480 also just seemed more "digital" and less hand drawn to me. It's hard to describe, but I've always preferred how 320x200 looks more lovingly hand-drawn than higher resolutions. When it comes to modern pixel art games, I'm more drawn to those that approximate the pixel density of 320x200 than other resolutions.

I get all ooey and gooey inside when I see hand drawn graphics like the following:

2.png

(King's Quest V)

1-mi_17_01.gif

(Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge)

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad