[VIDEO] Valeri Kharlamov: Legends Series (1975) - The Trailblazer and Legend of Soviet Hockey

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019

This is Episode Four of my Legends series, which features the individual performances of historical hockey players to showcase their styles of play.

Our Legends series continues today with a look at one of the greatest Russian hockey players the world has ever witnessed: Valeri Kharlamov.

Kharlamov is a beloved member of Russia's hockey royalty. His legacy in Russia as a role model, trailblazer, and genius of the sport is one of a kind.

He was a graceful but electric north-south player who once described his style as "a long game, a fast game." Audiences were captivated and spellbound whenever he had the puck. He often looked to move the puck back up the ice with dazzling rushes and fantastic maneuvers. He could drop the puck back to a teammate upon entering the zone or put the puck on goal himself. Kharlamov was a supreme talent, and he continues to be adored. Monuments have been built to celebrate his life, and his story continues to be told. He is one of Russia's all-time hockey idols.

His legend has never been forgotten, and new generations continue to pay tribute to him in Russia. Many considered him to be the greatest player outside of the National Hockey League during his prime -- an era full of wonderful players who would never wear an NHL uniform. He dominated with the Soviet Red Army team.

Tragically, he passed away in 1981 at the age of 33 as a result of a vehicle accident.

He has been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, the IIHF Hall of Fame, and was named to the IIHF Centenial All-Star Team. His #17 has become synonymous with him in Russia. Ilya Kovalchuk and Evgeni Malkin wear the number 17 and 71, respectively, in his honor. No player wears #17 on the Russian men's national team.

Enjoy this look at his performance with CSKA Moscow from December 31, 1975 against the Montreal Canadiens. This match was part of the 1976 Super Series, the first of its kind.

The presentation concludes with a montage as well.

Thanks for watching!

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This is the guy I've heard people say was up there with the greatest of all time.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
as a Canadian, I can say that I don't like what our team's strategy was for dealing with him. Can't beat him, injure him. Not cool

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
This is the guy I've heard people say was up there with the greatest of all time.

If I have to compare him to Canadian fellow, it would be Guy Lafleur IMO. Similar styles. Kharlamov probably would put similar numbers if he'd play in NHL in his prime. Both Top 10 wingers of all time

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
love these. if you’re taking requests would love fedorov
Oh man I said this last time. I think there's already some extensive Fedorov vids on YouTube though. Just like an hour of him owning people.

Edit: here it is. Warning: Blues fans might not want to watch. :laugh:

Last edited:

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018
Greatest hispanic player of all time (his mother was Spain civil war refugee to USSR)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad