Video that articulates the differenc between the QMJHL and WHL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Just watching the highlights of the Hurricanes vs. Rockets game last night -which was not an a-typical WHL game... and I got to thinking how one game alone in the Dub could fill up a weeks worth of hitting highlights in the Q...

I don't mean this as a hack on the Q -there are some fantastic players there... but if you only watch the Q and want to see what I am talking about... go to...

http://www.lethbridgehurricanes.com

and click on HOMEGAME HIGHLIGHTS on the menu bar...
...you need Quicktime...

I don't miss the NHL as much as I thought I would... if the WHL was locked out I would lose my mind....

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
nice highlights... sometimes the Q has some very physical games, I'm not so sure that you know what you're talking about. However I agree that the whl is more physical, better defensively and overall more skilled than the Q, at the momment. But it fluctuates each year and the talent-level varies from year to year, it's really unfair to compare leagues like that, since a player usally plays 3 years in junior.

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
D-men are a lot stronger in thw WHL but there is a lot of rough play in the Q also.

Maybe lest hard hitting but a lot of rough play...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Current Moosehead Rane Carengie, who played in the OHL at 16,17 and 18 said the QMJHL is more physical than the OHL. he also said guys back in the OHL think of the Q as a "soft league" but he thought it was quite opposite.

Bottomline is no one has respect for what the QMJHL is. Until you actually watch games or play in the league, which is sad. Because if the NHL was more like the QMJHL buildings would be sold out. But nope, fans complain because the NHL is too much like the WHL, Boring.

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
and who said that its better, more hitting i mean. i would much rather watch zherdev play than some guy who just hits. i know this isnt a bash the nhl, how do you fix it thread, but i believe if they made the rink bigger, took out fighting, ala olympics, the nhl would have no problem not only surviving in the us, but proffiting. its so much funner to watch and a better product, imo

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Current Moosehead Rane Carengie, who played in the OHL at 16,17 and 18 said the QMJHL is more physical than the OHL. he also said guys back in the OHL think of the Q as a "soft league" but he thought it was quite opposite.

Bottomline is no one has respect for what the QMJHL is. Until you actually watch games or play in the league, which is sad. Because if the NHL was more like the QMJHL buildings would be sold out. But nope, fans complain because the NHL is too much like the WHL, Boring.

didnt see this before i posted :) great post. the nhl probably sits there and wonders. why are there such great ratings for the olympics, but we struggle. hmm....could it be cause the game is boring as hell on tv, just seeing the trap and guys hit each other, fights every 10 min, scuffles every whistle. people will watch and go to games if its exciting. exciting isnt seeing teams struggle just to get the puck in the zone, its seeing guys like zherdev use their skill. that doesnt mean there isnt a need for hitting and that it doesnt bring some excitement, but the nhl is just a "thug" league. toooooooooooo many guys on nhl rosters who cant play hockey, but are good boxers

Avery4Byng*

I think everyone needs to realize each league is different and produces different players. As a whole it is still the CHL, one league. We are together for the World Juniors and what not, so the constant bickering between leagues is pretty much not called for.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
tray said:
I think everyone needs to realize each league is different and produces different players. As a whole it is still the CHL, one league. We are together for the World Juniors and what not, so the constant bickering between leagues is pretty much not called for.

I agree 100% that all 3 leagues are good. I just get sick of all the constant QMJHL bashing by fans of the other leagues.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:
I agree 100% that all 3 leagues are good. I just get sick of all the constant QMJHL bashing by fans of the other leagues.

me too... It's getting old. I can't watch many lhjmq games but each time I saw a game, it was amazing.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:

Rane Carnegie is one of the top scorers on the Mooseheads. He cleared waivers in the OHL.

That really says it all.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Juan said:
Rane Carnegie is one of the top scorers on the Mooseheads. He cleared waivers in the OHL.

That really says it all.

he scored one point per game in the ohl last year and he's scoring at the same pace in the qmjhl but he's a year older... you should seek 4 :help:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Juan said:

That really says it all.

David Branch pulled strings and basically let him leave the OHL.

Rane moved to Halifax to live with his sister. He told Branch that he wont play in the OHL because his home situation back in Ontario wasnt the best. Branch let him pass through waivers.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
David Branch pulled strings and basically let him leave the OHL.

Rane moved to Halifax to live with his sister. He told Branch that he wont play in the OHL because his home situation back in Ontario wasnt the best. Branch let him pass through waivers.

Be that as it may (or may not), anyone who has seen him play since peewee in the GTHL will tell you that Rane Carnegie is the last player you would go to as an authority on tough, intense, "in your face" hockey.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Juan said:
Be that as it may (or may not), anyone who has seen him play since peewee in the GTHL will tell you that Rane Carnegie is the last player you would go to as an authority on tough, intense, "in your face" hockey.

And by "in your face" hockey, do you mean the grinding, checking, unproductive and ultimately boring brand of hockey we're accustomed to?

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Leachmeister2000 said:
And by "in your face" hockey, do you mean the grinding, checking, unproductive and ultimately boring brand of hockey we're accustomed to?
Why do you watch it if its boring?

I love "in your face" hockey.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:

No, I'm talking about the the type of hockey that defensemen who are chosen for the World Junior team play.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is way off topic, but I found it on the Hurricanes site. Jonathan Filewich is either a really funny guy, or a really weird guy. Check out his profile:

Favorite Movie: Fiddler on the Roof
Favorite TV Show: Oprah
Favorite Meal: Steak Sandwich
Superstitions: Marshmallows
Favorite Hockey Player: Cassie Campbell
Favorite Band/Singer: Celine Dion
Favorite Song: Hillary Duff- Rain

:eek:

I'm guessing it's a joke.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Juan said:

Just because he doesnt play that style it doesnt mean he cant comment on it. He has played in the OHL and QMJHL, very few players have. Ill take his opinion over someone watching highlights of 1 WHL game.

And Rane isnt soft. He played defense last night and was actually doing a good job containing Steve Bernier down low.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
rt said:
This is way off topic, but I found it on the Hurricanes site. Jonathan Filewich is either a really funny guy, or a really weird guy. Check out his profile:

Favorite Movie: Fiddler on the Roof
Favorite TV Show: Oprah
Favorite Meal: Steak Sandwich
Superstitions: Marshmallows
Favorite Hockey Player: Cassie Campbell
Favorite Band/Singer: Celine Dion
Favorite Song: Hillary Duff- Rain

:eek:

I'm guessing it's a joke.

What a gong-show! LOL

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:

EXACTLY.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
A lot of people are still relying on sterotypes here: The QMJHL is a skill league with lots of exciting, high-scoring players but little hitting, backchecking or grinding. The WHL is a league of unskilled, boring grinders who are good at defense and hit like trucks...

The fact is that the WHL has MANY exciting, fast, highly-skilled players- at least on par with the Q (moreso this year IMO). On the other hand the Q does have many excellent two-way, hard-working grinder, character types and some nasty, heavy hitters. The differnce in style is not so evident as it was, say, 20 years ago. Quality, yeah, the W is ahead right now but that could change. Let's just get away from the outdated leagfue stereotypes.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
steblick said:
A lot of people are still relying on sterotypes here: The QMJHL is a skill league with lots of exciting, high-scoring players but little hitting, backchecking or grinding. The WHL is a league of unskilled, boring grinders who are good at defense and hit like trucks...

The fact is that the WHL has MANY exciting, fast, highly-skilled players- at least on par with the Q (moreso this year IMO). On the other hand the Q does have many excellent two-way, hard-working grinder, character types and some nasty, heavy hitters. The differnce in style is not so evident as it was, say, 20 years ago. Quality, yeah, the W is ahead right now but that could change. Let's just get away from the outdated leagfue stereotypes.

Good Post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->