[VIDEO] Nolan Patrick: A Comprehensive Scouting Package - All Shifts From 6 WHL Games

JA

With the end of the 2016-17 NHL season quickly approaching and the much-anticipated annual draft lottery set to occur at the end of this month -- on April 29, 2017, to be exact -- intrigue in the top prospects available in the 2017 NHL Draft is rapidly increasing.

By now, those interested would have had ample opportunities to view the top-ranked prospects on a variety of stages, including at the 2017 World Junior Championships and in their respective leagues.

This has not been the case for the current consensus top-ranked prospect in this year's draft, Nolan Patrick. Unfortunately for Patrick, his season has been shortened by a lengthy recovery process required for a sports hernia injury sustained in his 2016 WHL playoff campaign, as well as a knee injury that effectively prevented him from participating in the 2017 WHL playoffs for his team, the Brandon Wheat Kings. Opportunities to watch him have been limited this season.

Due to this, I have decided that it would be convenient and helpful to provide people with an opportunity to examine and develop an impression of Nolan Patrick's game this year. I have, thus, developed a comprehensive scouting package based on Patrick's 2016-17 season: all shifts from six games played between February and March 2017 for a total of just under three hours of ice time. Nobody is expected to watch all of it, although you are welcome to watch as much footage as you like. I have simply prepared the footage for those who are curious enough to examine the player's game, and I have offered a large enough sample size to give people an accurate depiction of the way he plays. The presentation is divided into six segments -- one segment for each match. You may watch all of it, or just some of it.

The games featured here are:

February 14, 2017: Brandon Wheat Kings @ Moose Jaw Warriors
February 18, 2017: Brandon Wheat Kings vs Prince Albert Raiders
February 22, 2017: Brandon Wheat Kings @ Calgary Hitmen
February 24, 2017: Brandon Wheat Kings @ Lethbridge Hurricanes
March 5, 2017: Brandon Wheat Kings vs Regina Pats
March 15, 2017: Brandon Wheat Kings @ Moose Jaw Warriors
Bonus - March 17, 2017: footage of Patrick's season-ending injury @ Regina Pats.

The games featured here were chosen due to a number of factors. Not every WHL feed offers an adequate camera angle for scouting, such as in Medicine Hat where the tendency is for the cameraman to zoom in too close to the puck carrier and thus not capture the players away from the puck. Additionally, after missing most of the first half of the season due to his lengthy recovery, Nolan Patrick needed multiple weeks to return to game shape; he returned on January 13, 2017, and the first of these games is from a month after his return to the lineup. Furthermore, these games offer a balanced perspective against teams throughout the WHL standings -- the Regina Pats are the top team, the Lethbridge Hurricanes and Moose Jaw Warriors are ranked 7th and 8th, respectively, while the Calgary Hitmen are ranked one spot below the Brandon Wheat Kings at 16th; the Prince Albert Raiders are a bottom-feeder ranked 20th overall in the twenty-two-team league. Featured here are numerous multi-point games, as well as pointless games. What matters more than those points is the way in which Patrick plays in those games.

Hopefully, this offers viewers an informative look at the current consensus first-overall pick in the 2017 NHL Draft, Nolan Patrick.

As always, comments and discussion are appreciated and encouraged. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

JA

I invite those who are unfamiliar with Nolan Patrick to spend a few minutes to examine his game and formulate an opinion. I would love to hear your thoughts and impressions. Feel free to chime in also if you have watched Patrick in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Thanks for putting this together. I haven't really watched him often enough to form my own opinion; this will be really helpful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->