[VIDEO] Kent Nilsson: The Calgary Flames Superstar Who Chose Not To Be

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
When people say "they lack the drive, motivation etc."
If they "chose not to do it", that's because they can't.
Physical tools but not enough mental to get it done all the time.
But, for a Swede to play in the NHL in the late 70s and early to mid 80's, it must have been tough ...

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He worked his ass off in individual practice to get as good as he was. One of the old rangers' swedes (can't remember who, Lill-Pröjsarn?) speculated that it was a way to not get as hard coverage from the opponents, that it gave him more openings to play his game.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
The whole "lacking drive" thing about certain super talented guys baffles me. If you can score 131 points, win a Cup and a good amount of cash whilst on 80% why don't do that? At some point one needs to ask him/herself if that extra added effort realy converts into a better life.

Best example might be Alexei Kovalev. Often accused of laziness but scored a lot, is superfamous and most likely enormously wealthy. I think he is satisfied with his career, even if he spent it on effort level 85 or so percent.

Easy is a good thing guys!

Reactions: mattihp

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I still remember the Flames and Minnesota series in 1980, early in the second period, Kent went down with an injury, when he hopped over the boards in the third the fans exploded. He was extremely popular off the start of his Flames career, he was the most skilled player that's ever played for the Flames. But in his last year here there were just too many times when he vanished or he was listless. At least the Flames got a good return for him.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Not only does he own the single season record for most points by a Flame (131 points in 1981), he also is the reason the team was competitive for multiple decades. Kent was traded for the pick that brought the Joe Neiuwendyke (sorry can't remember how to spell that) who was then traded for Jerome Iginla. Flames fans should hold this guy in higher esteem, but I rarely ever hear them talk about him.

Reactions: mattihp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->