[VIDEO] Kent Nilsson: The Calgary Flames Superstar Who Chose Not To Be

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
Kent Nilsson: The Calgary Flames Superstar Who Chose Not To Be - Last Word on Hockey

His name would have been iconic to hockey fans if only he had wanted it to be. Instead, his stardom dissipated within just a few years of his dominant debut. “Kenta” and “The Magic Man,” they called him. Today, Kent Nilsson is just a fading memory.

He could have been so much more.

“He’s the purest, most talented player in the league. Great player, great shot” – Wayne Gretzky, March 1987 (“ROUNDUP Oilers Get Nilsson,” The Globe and Mail, 3 Mar 1987).

He exhibited boundless creativity and a refined sense of finesse. He was among the most skilled players of his generation (“Calgary Flames,” Calgary Herald, 18 Dec 2005). Among Nilsson’s many gifts to the sport was Peter Forsberg‘s famous one-handed shootout move. Forsberg’s move was lifted from an identical move used by Nilsson at the 1989 World Championship. “The goalie… went, like, into the stands,” recalled Forsberg in the immediate post-game interview of that Gold Medal game, admitting that he had seen Nilsson’s move in 1989 (Cam Cole, Edmonton Journal, 28 Feb 1994).

Kent Nilsson was a virtuoso. His ability to handle the puck and generate effortless offense prompted witnesses to draw comparisons between the Swedish magician and the league’s most dominant player at the time, Wayne Gretzky.

He exhibited boundless creativity and a refined sense of finesse. He was among the most skilled players of his generation (“Calgary Flames,” Calgary Herald, 18 Dec 2005). Among Nilsson’s many gifts to the sport was Peter Forsberg‘s famous one-handed shootout move. Forsberg’s move was lifted from an identical move used by Nilsson at the 1989 World Championship. “The goalie… went, like, into the stands,” recalled Forsberg in the immediate post-game interview of that Gold Medal game, admitting that he had seen Nilsson’s move in 1989 (Cam Cole, Edmonton Journal, 28 Feb 1994).

“In my opinion, Kenta… was as good as the guy 200 miles north [Gretzky] — when he wanted to play.” – Ken Houston, Flames forward (1975-1982) (“Calgary Flames,” Calgary Herald, 18 Dec 2005)

Such was the sentiment of Ken Houston, a linemate of Nilsson’s during their time together with the Atlanta, and later Calgary, Flames. Kent Nilsson brimmed with potential. Some figure he could have been a deity of the sport.

His lack of ambition laid waste to that wondrous opportunity.

Read the full article at Last Word On Hockey: Kent Nilsson: The Calgary Flames Superstar Who Chose Not To Be - Last Word on Hockey

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Kent had awesome skills - he was a very fast skater, great stickhandler, and had an all-time great shot. When he was in his early twenties, especially, his talent was really something special.

The story is well-known....in practice, he would take pucks to centre ice and take slapshots at the crossbar, and he apparently could hit the crossbar 80% or 90% of the time, from the centre red line.

He was a good scorer for many years - as a teenager, in Sweden, in the WHA, in the NHL, in best-on-best tournaments. A decent scorer in the playoffs.

Kent was great in open ice. He did struggle a bit with tighter checking, I think he just lacked a strong killer instinct.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Kent is my mothers favorite player of all time. When i grew up we had a hockey video and Kent was in it just casually saying something like "Do you think i can hit the crossbar and in from center ice?" and then he does it and just skates away. Honestly it's a shame that a man with such tallent didn't want to be the best in the world, because besides super mario he was probably the only one that had the raw tallent to challange Gretzky at the time.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Kent is my mothers favorite player of all time. When i grew up we had a hockey video and Kent was in it just casually saying something like "Do you think i can hit the crossbar and in from the faceoff circle?" and then he does it and just skates away. Honestly it's a shame that a man with such tallent didn't want to be the best in the world, because besides super mario he was probably the only one that had the raw tallent to challange Gretzky at the time.

Incredible that you should mention that. For somewhere, deep in my subconscious, I too remember watching that video ... and it was the first thing I thought about when I saw this thread - and actually thought it was a dream.

Nilsson did get a cup with the Oilers though.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I remember seeing him score a fantastic penalty shot goal. The way he held on to that puck and outlasted the goalie and then he puts it home. Never seen anyone do it the way he did. He was a North Star at the time.

Last edited:

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
What's hilarious is that his son, Robert Nilsson, is literally a poor-man's version of his dad.

Robert Nilsson is an incredibly talented hockey player that just never had that drive and work ethic that's needed to be the best. Auston Matthews even said that Nilsson is the most skilled guy he's ever seen, from when they played in Switzerland together.

Sauce12

Unregistered User
Jul 25, 2011
The dark side of the moon
What's hilarious is that his son, Robert Nilsson, is literally a poor-man's version of his dad.

Robert Nilsson is an incredibly talented hockey player that just never had that drive and work ethic that's needed to be the best. Auston Matthews even said that Nilsson is the most skilled guy he's ever seen, from when they played in Switzerland together.

Robert was an awesome player to watch. Sadly he had to retire after having several concussions.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I remember reading a story that I believe is an excerpt from Brett Hull's book about when he was younger, Nilsson casually bet him that he could hit the crossbar 5 times and then did it 6 times, or something like that

Ishtabeat

Mar 19, 2020
Incredible that you should mention that. For somewhere, deep in my subconscious, I too remember watching that video ... and it was the first thing I thought about when I saw this thread - and actually thought it was a dream.

Nilsson did get a cup with the Oilers though.

5:15

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK

Came here to mention this. Robert had the talent to be a top liner, but was drafted with the majority already knowing that he was very likely going to bust.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Remembering the reclamation draft and expansion draft when the WHA merged. WHA teams were only allowed to "reclaim" 4 players (2 goalies and 2 skaters). NHL teams were able to protect 17. The Jets lost Kent Nilsson to the Atlanta Flames :(

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

He had a good year for the oilers at a young age but never built on it. He had nice hands but nothing else going for him.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Had just a buttload of talent. Kinda ahead of his time. Not everyone is made championship caliber, personally don't view that as an indictment on their character.

Reactions: Star Ocean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad