[VIDEO] Jonathan Bernier Interview on Nelson Mandela -- He Was a Hockey Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA

A few days ago, MLSE hosted an event, organized alongside the Nelson Mandela Foundation, to celebrate the life of Nelson Mandela. The next day, the Toronto Raptors uploaded to their official YouTube channel all of the star interviews from that day. In one of them, however, the Toronto Maple Leafs' Jonathan Bernier revealed that he believed that the late former President of South Africa and philanthropist was being remembered as a renowned athlete.

"He's one of the most known athletes in the world."

The video was quickly pulled from the Raptors' YouTube channel, but discussion ensued for a full day afterward and Bernier's comments received significant coverage in the hockey world; the HF thread continued until no more could truly be offered.

Someone has, however, uploaded that interview now to YouTube.

There's more to the interview than the previous transcript revealed. I've transcribed the above.
Reporter: Just wanted to ask you, I mean, obviously Nelson Mandela [was] one of the most significant historical figures of the twentieth century. What knowledge or awareness did you have of him growing up or when did you learn of him?

Bernier: Well, obviously, growing up, you uh, he's one of the most known athletes, uh, in the world and, uh, lot of impact in any kind of sport that he did, and uh . . . that I, you know, even playing hockey, everyone knows him from being the type of person he was off the ice and on the ice and so, it's unfortunate that he passed away a year ago, but, um, he changed a lot while he was with us and he's a tremendous guy.

------------------------

Separate Interview:

Bernier (in response to a question): Uh, I just think the way he meant, that is, to me growing up, playing sports with my parents was something really special because I can share, you know, try to be a leader, uh, you know, try to share things and things like that where, you know, when you're a group sport you need to do that, you need to be as one, and I think that's what he meant and, uh, you know I think, uh, sports is really powerful. A lot of people, you know, obviously, love to play the game, be it hockey, basketball, football, and every -- a lot of people watch that, and I think that's kind of the message I personally got from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->