(Video) Geno's Greatest Moments

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Great highlights. Geno always reminds me of a left handed version of Mario. From his stick reach to his puck handling skills and even to his stature.

Even though its probably the least skilled of those highlights I think my favorite will always be the "**** you Biron" breakaway slap shot. :laugh:

redmosquito

Jun 9, 2013
NC/ME
Gotta love all the highlights of him destroying the Lightning. Seems like every year he has a crazy goal against them.

Internet Explorer

Better than Chrome
Sep 14, 2009
Internet
So duuuuurrrty. Should be posted on the main board as a reminder to those who keep questioning his "legacy" or him belonging in the "best in the world" conversation.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Wow. When Geno's in the zone there's nobody like him.

I have several friends who are just getting into hockey. A few of them have asked me what the all-time greats were like to watch. I've often answered by saying, "Take Malkin during those 10 or so games each season when he looks unstoppable. Mario looked a lot like that...every night." I think it's apt.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

I have several friends who are just getting into hockey. A few of them have asked me what the all-time greats were like to watch. I've often answered by saying, "Take Malkin during those 10 or so games each season when he looks unstoppable. Mario looked a lot like that...every night." I think it's apt.

Yep. It got to a point that when he would do something amazing on the ice it started to look like an every day play. He was so good that he made the remarkable seem ordinary. I feel very privileged to have gotten to watch his career.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yep. It got to a point that when he would do something amazing on the ice it started to look like an every day play. He was so good that he made the remarkable seem ordinary. I feel very privileged to have gotten to watch his career.

I agree. I was born in 1990 and started playing hockey in my basement while watching the games on a 13' tv when I was 3 years old. I wish I could remember more from those days, unfortunately you don't remember a whole ton from your youth. I do have the photos and a few home videos of me wearing my tiny little Jagr jersey and taking "slapshots" (or whatever a 3 year old's slapshot is called) at the cement wall in the basement. I've always loved the game and really wish I was just a little bit older so maybe I could remember watching Mario for the short stints that I was able to.

I remember his later years more vividly, but obviously they just aren't the same. Luckily we have game highlights from back then to watch :)

Then again, we should all be super grateful we get to watch Sid every night. The guy is a totally different player than Mario, but truthfully, he plays the game that you NEED to play in the modern NHL. I bet Mario's style would have looked a lot more like Sid's if he was just starting to play today. You can't really compare them, as they are from two different eras and there's no way of knowing how much success either would have if the tables were turned, but Sid's consistency and ability to make incredible little plays on a nightly basis is why I compare him to Mario.

It can be a little as him accepting a pass in a mind-boggling way, or juggling a puck down the ice past a defender. The amount of times Sid can pull one of these small moves with success is truly insane.

Anyways, back to Geno. I really hope Geno gets his consistency back, because when he is on, he's the only player in the league who can match Sid point for point. I just wish he wasn't so darn streaky.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006

I'm a little younger, so my image of Mario is him looking a little tired like he wouldn't have it that night and putting up four points anyways.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Thanks for sharing that video with us. I love how you showed the Geno slapshot on the Flyers in the '08 playoffs as one of his first highlights. I think that will always be my favorite Malkin goal. Such a huge moment. I'll never forget that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad