OT: Video Games VI

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
About 8 hours into AC Valhalla. Very frustrating game, because it has a LOT of great qualities. But ultimately, it
should be an improvement over Odyssey and Origins, and sadly, it is not. Is it a bad game? Not at all, but in terms
of game play I think it worse than both Odyssey and Origins.

Pros: *Visually spectacular. Think Witcher 3, with even better visuals. Astounding.
* Engaging storyline
* Viking raids are a lot of fun
* You can reset your skill tree any time, for free, without incuring a penalty. This should
be a standard feature in all games today.

Cons: * Stealth/Assassination is all but non-existent in this game, which is stunning, considering this is an AC game. I'm not really sure why Ubisoft went in this direction. This means that 1/3 of the skill tree (the stealth tree) is pretty much useless.
* While a few of the skills are good (most of them on the melee side), most of them are weak or even useless.
* In addition to skills, you are given "abilities" as well. Sadly, some of these (like 50%) don't even work properly

I think I could live with the absence of a stealth game in Valhalla, but weak / broken skills and abilities is just a deal-breaker for me. As beautiful as Valhalla looks and as great as the storyline is, it feels like you are playing a "broken" or "incomplete" game. In terms of ranking, I'd put Odyssey first (by a long shot), followed by Valhalla and Origins tied for a second (Valhalla with better visuals, Origins with better skills and abilites).

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
It's kind of funny because hackers are also holding EA (FIFA) game coding and demanding a ransom for it or they will leak it on the internet, but no one really cares and it's not big news. Everyone knows that it's the same game year to year and that's not where the money lies (its the official sports licenses).

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I take back all the bad stuff I said about AC Valhalla. I've played it a couple of days now, and it is awesome!
The weak/broken abilities I talked about, yeah they are still there, but that's only at the beginning of the game, you
will quickly discard them for much stronger (and cooler) abilities. The stealth game is still pretty non-existent, but
you just have to adjust and focus on a melee / archery style. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes a lot of fun.
Recommend the game.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Demon's Souls remake for PS5 gets a solid A- from me. I think I liked Bloodborne a bit more but Demon's Souls was gorgeous and controlled great. The bosses were a bit disappointing compared to Bloodborne's bosses but otherwise I thought it was a solid challenge all the way through.

Time to play Miles Morales next. I imagine this one should be a quick finish.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I take back all the bad stuff I said about AC Valhalla. I've played it a couple of days now, and it is awesome!
The weak/broken abilities I talked about, yeah they are still there, but that's only at the beginning of the game, you
will quickly discard them for much stronger (and cooler) abilities. The stealth game is still pretty non-existent, but
you just have to adjust and focus on a melee / archery style. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes a lot of fun.
Recommend the game.
I loved 2h axe in mainhand, 1h axe in offhand so much I forgot it wasn't the character template and you could do other things. Reach, power, brutal combos and interrupts, loved it.

Reactions: sycamore

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I loved 2h axe in mainhand, 1h axe in offhand so much I forgot it wasn't the character template and you could do other things. Reach, power, brutal combos and interrupts, loved it.

Ooh I haven't tried that, I need to give it a shot.

The game is so deep, so layered, unlike any AC before it.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I've gone from being mildly dissapointed in AC Valhalla (8 hours in) to now thinking it is the
best open world fantasy game ever released on the Ps4 (60 hours in). It is a better game than Witcher 3
(even with Blood and Wine DLC), and better than Skyrim. There. I said it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I've gone from being mildly dissapointed in AC Valhalla (8 hours in) to now thinking it is the
best open world fantasy game ever released on the Ps4 (60 hours in). It is a better game than Witcher 3

I was burned out on Origins and am now kind of settled into HZD and committed to finishing it, but this is intriguing.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Pretty big praise. I spent about 80 hours on Odyssey and loved it right up until I turned it on one day and had no more interest in it. Maybe I’ll give Valhalla a go now that I’ve finished HZD and it sounds like Forbidden West is delayed until 2022.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Just released last week, the Ascent is a fun game. It's an action RPG presented in an isometric perspective, essentially a cyperpunk Diablo. Offworld Blade Runner. Rich setting. It has an online coop mode too.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Pretty big praise. I spent about 80 hours on Odyssey and loved it right up until I turned it on one day and had no more interest in it. Maybe I’ll give Valhalla a go now that I’ve finished HZD and it sounds like Forbidden West is delayed until 2022.

I loved Odyssey, but Odyssey is to Valhalla what "The Hobbit" is to "The Lord of the Rings." Valhalla is massively ambitious, and Ubisoft -- that's right, UBISOFT! -- pulls off 99% of it. A few annoying bugs here and there, some of the skills are kind of weak/useless, but other than that, a bona fide EPIC. Huge, HUGE engrossing story, drop-dead gorgeous visuals, and open world where every event is interesting and meaningful (no filler stuff here)...again its hard to believe we're talking about Ubisoft here and not Rockstar or Naughty Dog. I repeat, the best open world fantasy game I have ever played on the PS4 (and I'm probably only 40-50% through).

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Any other Dead Space fans here? I'm hyped to hear a remake is officially in the works. Just saw that AC Valhalla's director is one of the people involved

Reactions: tenken00

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
I couldn't get into Valhalla at the time that I tried it. Combat just felt a little too clunky, but I liked the world. Doesn't help its case that I'd just played Sekiro right before it, which has the best combat out of any game I've ever played. It's been a while since I gave Valhalla a try though so I may give it another go.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Just finished Miles Morales and now I remember why I liked the first Spider Man game so much. Really fun game!

Next up is Returnal. Let’s see how I do, I hear it’s a doozy!

Reactions: tenken00

SoulessGingerCapsFan

Jul 5, 2013
Just finished Miles Morales and now I remember why I liked the first Spider Man game so much. Really fun game!

Next up is Returnal. Let’s see how I do, I hear it’s a doozy!

I couldn’t get into Returnal. Too much stuff going on, too frustrating. It does a lot of really cool things with the PS5 controller though!

it’s not a bad game, just not for me

Reactions: twabby and tenken00

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
So how is Cyberpunk 2077 on the PC for anyone that has played it?

Btw upgrading my main gaming monitor to a 48" LG Oled C1 this weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad