OT: Video Games VI

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Anyone play the Tom Clancy games like ghost recon wilderness or whatever it is? Any good?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
If anyone is into D&D and/or tactical RPGs, check out Solasta. It's on GamePass for PC, and it's pretty good.

I usually prefer sci-fi to fantasy, but the combat is really good, which helps overcome my aversion to fantasy.

It's not a very demanding game, and it runs like butter on my 2060.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Anyone play A Plague Tale: Innocence? It’s free for PS+ members this month and I had no idea it was so critically acclaimed so now my interest is peaked. From what I’m reading it sounds like The Last of Us but set in the 14th century.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
For all those who recommended it on here, I just got done with finishing Star Wars: Fallen Order last night and it was a blast. Best Star Wars game I've played... since... since... I don't even know it's been so long lol.

It really captured the Star Wars-y essence... if that's an actual thing. I actually really felt like I was reflecting laser bullets back and grabbing people by the neck with the force like I'm some badass Darth Vade.. um... ahem gently pushing them aside like Masta Yoda.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
For all those who recommended it on here, I just got done with finishing Star Wars: Fallen Order last night and it was a blast. Best Star Wars game I've played... since... since... I don't even know it's been so long lol.

It really captured the Star Wars-y essence... if that's an actual thing. I actually really felt like I was reflecting laser bullets back and grabbing people by the neck with the force like I'm some badass Darth Vade.. um... ahem gently pushing them aside like Masta Yoda.

Yeah as soon as the price falls to a reasonable level that the first game I'm picking up. In the meantime I picked up AC Valhalla for $30.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Yeah as soon as the price falls to a reasonable level that the first game I'm picking up. In the meantime I picked up AC Valhalla for $30.

Let me know how it is! I've played all the other Assassin's Creed but that one... mostly was burned out from playing Origins and Odyssey back to back.

And what do you guys think of the new direction that Ubisoft is taking Assassin's Creed. The franchise will now be a GaaS similar to The Division/Destiny/Marvel's The Avengers.?

Assassin's Creed Infinite Revealed As Live Service Title | Digital Trends

I'm guessing this is the end of Assassin's Creed stand alone single player games.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Would you say it's sort of like a SW version of Uncharted?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Would you say it's sort of like a SW version of Uncharted?

It's pretty similar to Uncharted. Maybe Uncharted 4 where there are different areas (planets) you can visit in any order you want, but still more of a linear action/adventure game than an open world game where you can pick up quests.

The mechanics are similar to the Dark Souls games (but much much easier! lol) where enemies that you've previously beaten respawn in the exact same locations if you rest in meditation circles (resting to refill your stim packs or potions quantity). Story was pretty good (liked it better than the new trilogy but that's not saying much!). Action was very good.

And the setting is WOW. I knew I was in love in the very opening few seconds of the intro when you see a HUGE f***ing gigantic Star Destroyer whizzing above your head.

Reactions: sycamore and g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's pretty similar to Uncharted. Maybe Uncharted 4 where there are different areas (planets) you can visit in any order you want, but still more of a linear action/adventure game than an open world game where you can pick up quests.

The mechanics are similar to the Dark Souls games (but much much easier! lol) where enemies that you've previously beaten respawn in the exact same locations if you rest in meditation circles (resting to refill your stim packs or potions quantity). Story was pretty good (liked it better than the new trilogy but that's not saying much!). Action was very good.

And the setting is WOW. I knew I was in love in the very opening few seconds of the intro when you see a HUGE f***ing gigantic Star Destroyer whizzing above your head.

Sold!

Kinda burning out on open world anyway so this could be a good change of pace if I end up putting down HZD. Thanks

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Sold!

Kinda burning out on open world anyway so this could be a good change of pace if I end up putting down HZD. Thanks

Oh yeah, definitely not open world. Just straight action. Just straight zzzzhhhttt jjjoooouuu tssstt tsssttt zzzhhhhooo action (me trying to imitate light saber sound effects with my mouth and then trying to type out what I hear :laugh:)

Reactions: g00n

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
The only negative thing that I really had with Star Wars: Fallen Order is that some of the maps are super confusing. Some maps are small and easy to navigate... but there's a couple that I just had no idea where the hell I was. It's like someone posted online when I was trying to figure out where the hell I was on this one planet. "Dude, where's my ship???"

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I am not above googling shit. I think game developers create with that in mind now, which is a little unfortunate. It seems like older gen games were designed with the idea that you had the manual and what's on the screen and THAT'S IT. Other than the infamous Nintendo help line from like 30 years ago and eventual transition to magazines and books, of course. But overall it was still about designing games that were challenging but fair, and you were rewarded if you just cobbled together all the clues from the story so far.

/old man rant*

*(also uncharted** territory having older guys still playing video games as Gen X was the first to adopt them)

**(see what I did there)

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I am not above googling shit. I think game developers create with that in mind now, which is a little unfortunate. It seems like older gen games were designed with the idea that you had the manual and what's on the screen and THAT'S IT. Other than the infamous Nintendo help line from like 30 years ago and eventual transition to magazines and books, of course. But overall it was still about designing games that were challenging but fair, and you were rewarded if you just cobbled together all the clues from the story so far.

/old man rant*

*(also uncharted** territory having older guys still playing video games as Gen X was the first to adopt them)

**(see what I did there)

What? You never actually called that 1-900 hotline number from the back of the Nintendo Power Magazine for the best tips in gaming over the phone for $9.99 a minute that you never personally yourself ever had to pay? :laugh:

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What? You never actually called that 1-900 hotline number from the back of the Nintendo Power Magazine for the best tips in gaming over the phone for $9.99 a minute that you never personally yourself ever had to pay? :laugh:

No but I'm sure my little brother did. lol

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Anyone play A Plague Tale: Innocence? It’s free for PS+ members this month and I had no idea it was so critically acclaimed so now my interest is peaked. From what I’m reading it sounds like The Last of Us but set in the 14th century.
It's good not great. If you're up for a pretty solid story and creepy atmosphere, give it a try. The gameplay mechanics are very basic.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Whatever you do, never EVER get Bose noise cancelling headphones. Expensive beyond belief and do a poor job
noise cancelling. Bose is a company that lives on its past reputation, but it has long been surpassed by others,
particularly in the noise cancelling department. I bought a pair for $300 about 5 years ago, and the headphones
came undone in about 3 months of light use. Plus the noise cancelling was minimal at best.

I bought a pair of wireless Sony WH-1000XM4 last year, and they have been tremendous. Over the ear headphones, as noise cancelling cans should be (not like those BOSE on-the-ear pieces of c***). Great noise cancelling, long battery life, quick and'
easy to recharge, pairs easily with my PS4 and other devices. Recommended.

Just stay away from Bose.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I have a pair of Astro A20s, since they're the only wireless option I'm aware of that's compatible with both PlayStation and Xbox.

They work as advertised, but I don't love them. They're kind of heavy and look super nerdy. And they get disconnected sometimes when I power down the console, and the only way to reconnect is to unplug the USB dongle and plug it back in.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Finally got my ps5 and want to keep my focus on great story-driven single player games, I can't be assed with these hyper competitive battle royale style games any more. maybe that makes me old..

any suggestions? Already played last of us 2, thinking of popping the ps5's cherry with ghost of tsushima or AC valhalla

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Finally got my ps5 and want to keep my focus on great story-driven single player games, I can't be assed with these hyper competitive battle royale style games any more. maybe that makes me old..

any suggestions? Already played last of us 2, thinking of popping the ps5's cherry with ghost of tsushima or AC valhalla

If you never played Ghost or Tsushima and want to go for the PS5 version with clicky button triggers Haptic Feedback and 3D Audio and a whole new island, the Director's Cut is coming out late August so you might want to wait for that. The regular Ghost of Tsushima (for PS4) version still has the dynamic 4K 60 FPS version so its still a good game to delve into if you want to right now.

For the PS5 specifically, or games with the ps5 upgrades with a good story hmmm... Spiderman Miles Morales Ultimate that comes with the first Spiderman game also enhanced for the PS5 if you haven't played it. God of War is a definite and is beautiful on the PS5 with the free upgrade but not sure if you played it already. FF7 remake also has a PS5 upgrade (with bonus DLC). Resident Evil Village looks beautiful on the PS5. Control (has to be ultimate edition for the PS5 version) was fun. There's a lot actually.. lol I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Edit: I forgot to even mention the PS5 exclusives Demon's Souls (if you like Soulsborne games), Returnal (if you like roguelike) and Ratchet and Clank (which is so damn PRETTY)

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If you never played Ghost or Tsushima and want to go for the PS5 version with clicky button triggers Haptic Feedback and 3D Audio and a whole new island, the Director's Cut is coming out late August so you might want to wait for that. The regular Ghost of Tsushima (for PS5) version still has the dynamic 4K 60 FPS version so its still a good game to delve into if you want to right now.

For the PS5 specifically, or games with the ps5 upgrades with a good story hmmm... Spiderman Miles Morales Ultimate that comes with the first Spiderman game also enhanced for the PS5 if you haven't played it. God of War is a definite and is beautiful on the PS5 with the free upgrade but not sure if you played it already. FF7 remake also has a PS5 upgrade (with bonus DLC). Resident Evil Village looks beautiful on the PS5. Control (has to be ultimate edition for the PS5 version) was fun. There's a lot actually.. lol I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Edit: I forgot to even mention the PS5 exclusives Demon's Souls (if you like Soulsborne games), Returnal (if you like roguelike) and Ratchet and Clank (which is so damn PRETTY)

So....God of War. Never played any installment of that title and last I saw of it was when my brother played some version over 10 years ago. Is it just hack and slash 3rd person with cool graphics and bosses, or more complex?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->