OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just finished Horizon Zero Dawn. Incredible story. Not sure I've ever been more captivated by a story in a game than I was from this one. That said, I got about 60-70% through the story before I changed the game mode to Story so I could just blow through it to get to the end. These massive open world games are great but I get antsy at some point and just want them to be over. You can only fight killer robots with a spear and different versions of a bow and arrow for so long.

It's crazy how well the game expanded on the story. To go from thinking you were in maybe a fictional world to finding out you were actually in the year 3000-something and that human civilization ended and then restarted... really impressive how they made it feel authentic.

And Ted Faro... f*** that guy. Scary thing about this game is it doesn't seem entirely implausible that we have a breakthrough with robotics and/or AI with unforeseen circumstances that could really screw us. The interviews with the people they brought to the bunker when Project Zero Dawn was revealed for what it actually was were tough to listen to. And the scene when he kills the other Alphas so he can kill the Apollo module... what a douche.

Can't wait for Forbidden West! Loved the cliffhanger at the end of the ZD.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Did not read the plot discussion as I've barely begun. I'm only level 11 or 12 and having a hard time staying focused. I don't like having to stop and scan every few steps to make sure some huge new machine isn't lurking over the next hill, and am trying to figure out how to deal with that choppiness. I probably need to focus more on hand to hand rather than sniping so that's less of an issue.

Also not thrilled with how hard to impossible it is to climb ruins. Or the plodding pace of dialogue.

Maybe I'm to ADHD for this one, or maybe just burned out on open world.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Did not read the plot discussion as I've barely begun. I'm only level 11 or 12 and having a hard time staying focused. I don't like having to stop and scan every few steps to make sure some huge new machine isn't lurking over the next hill, and am trying to figure out how to deal with that choppiness. I probably need to focus more on hand to hand rather than sniping so that's less of an issue.

Also not thrilled with how hard to impossible it is to climb ruins. Or the plodding pace of dialogue.

Maybe I'm to ADHD for this one, or maybe just burned out on open world.

I'm having the same issues with it - It's something I want to get into and have to a point but I don't find myself pushing to log time on it as much as I'd like.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm having the same issues with it - It's something I want to get into and have to a point but I don't find myself pushing to log time on it as much as I'd like.

Right. And I feel like I *have* to be cautious because dying reverts you to the last save point, which can suck ass if you've done a lot of item configs or whatever.

edit: also, online advice is "world is too big and dangerous to go on foot" but that's how I like to play. If the game requires riding machines everywhere that's going to detract from my enjoyment.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Right. And I feel like I *have* to be cautious because dying reverts you to the last save point, which can suck ass if you've done a lot of item configs or whatever.

edit: also, online advice is "world is too big and dangerous to go on foot" but that's how I like to play. If the game requires riding machines everywhere that's going to detract from my enjoyment.
Some advice based on your feedback since I thought similar things at the beginning:
  • Do quick saves at the bonfires regularly but especially if you do item configs or before you do something if you have to travel long distances. There are tons of them around and you can fast travel using them as well.
  • Yes, agreed -- the climbing mechanics suck and so does the constant scanning but it sounds like both will be fixed in Forbidden West. For climbing you can actually just use the directional pad to move unless it's a leap and then you have to jump. Should speed up the climbing process for you. And you really don't have to scan a lot. I used to scan a lot and then transitioned to scanning only to figure out which machines were there prior to a mission engagement or if I was inside ruins so I could find the data points which add a ton of value to the story.
  • Something I learned later than I wanted to: you can run through areas on foot easily without having to scan or fear getting killed. The machines (or humans) won't chase you in perpetuity -- they'll actually give up and let you pass fairly quickly if you're running -- and they relent from attack mode ("!") to alert ("?") fairly quickly as well. I'd say there were more than 50 times where I just ran through a pack of machines to get to my next destination point since I didn't feel like taking 10 minutes to take 4 machines down.
  • Don't treat this as Assassin's Creed. It's very easy to get bogged down and frustrated if you think you have to stealth through everything and it's just not the case with HZD. Learn the bow and arrow stuff quickly and how to maximize concentration mode and combat is a lot more fun.
Hope that helps. I found switching from Normal to Story mode was a great move as well. The world is amazing to explore and like I've said, I'm a huge fan of the story, and going to Story mode allows you to experience everything without having to spend an hour fighting through a Cauldron.

Reactions: g00n and Cappy76

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Some advice based on your feedback since I thought similar things at the beginning:
  • Do quick saves at the bonfires regularly but especially if you do item configs or before you do something if you have to travel long distances. There are tons of them around and you can fast travel using them as well.
  • Yes, agreed -- the climbing mechanics suck and so does the constant scanning but it sounds like both will be fixed in Forbidden West. For climbing you can actually just use the directional pad to move unless it's a leap and then you have to jump. Should speed up the climbing process for you. And you really don't have to scan a lot. I used to scan a lot and then transitioned to scanning only to figure out which machines were there prior to a mission engagement or if I was inside ruins so I could find the data points which add a ton of value to the story.
  • Something I learned later than I wanted to: you can run through areas on foot easily without having to scan or fear getting killed. The machines (or humans) won't chase you in perpetuity -- they'll actually give up and let you pass fairly quickly if you're running -- and they relent from attack mode ("!") to alert ("?") fairly quickly as well. I'd say there were more than 50 times where I just ran through a pack of machines to get to my next destination point since I didn't feel like taking 10 minutes to take 4 machines down.
  • Don't treat this as Assassin's Creed. It's very easy to get bogged down and frustrated if you think you have to stealth through everything and it's just not the case with HZD. Learn the bow and arrow stuff quickly and how to maximize concentration mode and combat is a lot more fun.
Hope that helps. I found switching from Normal to Story mode was a great move as well. The world is amazing to explore and like I've said, I'm a huge fan of the story, and going to Story mode allows you to experience everything without having to spend an hour fighting through a Cauldron.

Yes thanks. Was already doing some of this and knew I was treating it more like AC or one of the other games and that's likely wrong.

Another thing to consider is the focus "slowdown" may be intentional as to avoid the "cheat" ability to just reduce the game to the key focus elements (like detective mode in the Batman games which carries no movement penalty and reduces the game to objects while robbing it of atmosphere).

I'm going to try using the focus less (though I hate the idea of not seeing artifacts or whatnot around me) and just blowing through the terrain to see what happens, and use the close combat techniques more.

I've also read 2 different takes on what to maximize first in the skill tree. I enabled the first tier across the entire panel, maybe mistakenly. Others have said get the multi-arrow as soon as possible, and some say get Lure and stealth takedowns first. I can see the value in both of those so will try to level a bit more and add those.

Also read that you can hack the machines and not bother riding them...just let them fight the other machines. That's not something I realized would work, and not sure how common it is.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Resident Evil Village is fun. Not really that scary like 7 was. More like tense fast-paced shotgun to werewolf face fun.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I hate jump scare video games. I have enough stress in my life.

Not really that many jump scares in this one. At least compared to other ones. You can tell it's much more geared towards action. There is a certain creepiness to it in certain areas though. Like this one abandoned house where there are no enemies at all anywhere. Just a lot of dolls. Creepy creepy dolls.

E1HTGHhWEAMgeRG.jpg

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Not really that many jump scares in this one. At least compared to other ones. You can tell it's much more geared towards action. There is a certain creepiness to it in certain areas though. Like this one abandoned house where there are no enemies at all anywhere. Just a lot of dolls. Creepy creepy dolls.

E1HTGHhWEAMgeRG.jpg
giphy.gif

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yes thanks. Was already doing some of this and knew I was treating it more like AC or one of the other games and that's likely wrong.

Another thing to consider is the focus "slowdown" may be intentional as to avoid the "cheat" ability to just reduce the game to the key focus elements (like detective mode in the Batman games which carries no movement penalty and reduces the game to objects while robbing it of atmosphere).

I'm going to try using the focus less (though I hate the idea of not seeing artifacts or whatnot around me) and just blowing through the terrain to see what happens, and use the close combat techniques more.

I've also read 2 different takes on what to maximize first in the skill tree. I enabled the first tier across the entire panel, maybe mistakenly. Others have said get the multi-arrow as soon as possible, and some say get Lure and stealth takedowns first. I can see the value in both of those so will try to level a bit more and add those.

Also read that you can hack the machines and not bother riding them...just let them fight the other machines. That's not something I realized would work, and not sure how common it is.
I think I got around 80% of the artifacts and I'm sure the ones I missed were at the beginning but I'm not going back now. You figure out eventually where they are and how to find them.

It depends on how you want to play. Silent strike, critical hit, and concentration are all really important, I think. Tinkerer is really important because you can't modify weapons without losing the mod you already installed without it. If you want to stay stealthy and just run around then go for low profile as well.

Or you could just say f*** it and watch the cutscenes on YouTube if you just want to know what happened :laugh:

Oh, also, The Frozen Wilds DLC should be included in your game if you got it when PS made it available for free. It's personal preference if you want to veer off the main story to play it or go after it after the main story. If you do it before finishing the main story a few of the characters from the DLC are around at the end for the conclusion of the main game and you learn a bit more about the main story but it could easily be played after as well.

You can modify your spear and you get some other cool weapons and armor going through it that can be taken back to the main story but the machines you face are different and frankly hard as shit. Make sure you know what you're doing and are sufficiently equipped if you choose to play the DLC. It's honestly much more difficult than anything you'll face even towards the end of the main story. I think you can access the end of the main story at around level 25 but I made it there around level 45 because of the DLC. I do recommend the DLC though if only for the world and the setting... it's nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

E1HTGHhWEAMgeRG.jpg

Can you blast the dolls with a shotgun?

Reactions: tenken00

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I hope you all try Ghost of Tsushima at some point. That's probably the most fun I've had playing an open world game, and I've played a lot. Helps that it's absolutely beautiful.

I preferred Horizon's story, but Tsushima is a more enjoyable game.

Play on PS5 if you can. It chugged on my base PS4.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Real men don't use VATs in Fallout 4 :)

My sneak ability is so good now (Max Sneak + Max Ninja + Max Mr Sandman + Deacon perk + All US Covert Mags)
that I'm one-shotting Legendary Deathclaws with my silenced 10mm.

Good stuff.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Real men don't use VATs in Fallout 4 :)

My sneak ability is so good now (Max Sneak + Max Ninja + Max Mr Sandman + Deacon perk + All US Covert Mags)
that I'm one-shotting Legendary Deathclaws with my silenced 10mm.

Good stuff.

Man I miss that game.

I always felt guilty using VAT

Reactions: sycamore

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I hope you all try Ghost of Tsushima at some point. That's probably the most fun I've had playing an open world game, and I've played a lot. Helps that it's absolutely beautiful.

I started GoT and really liked it but I completely lost interest in it right after I got to Act II. I had just put a ton of hours into Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and was pretty burned out by the massive open world RPG genre. Since I first played it I got a PS5 and a 65” OLED so I may go back and restart it since I don’t really have anything else interesting in the queue.

Agree that it’s a beautiful game. The scenery and soundtrack are terrific.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I finished it on ps4. Wrote about it some in this thread. Will get the inevitable sequel.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Coming to all platforms this Tuesday (Day 1 on Xbox/Microsoft GamePass)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
After like 3 months of trying I was finally able to get lucky enough to order a PS5 without resorting to insane eBay prices. I got it through the Sony Direct last week and it'll be here Tuesday.

As far as games I want to play, this is the list I'm looking at:
  • Demon's Souls
  • Resident Evil 8
  • Astro's Playroom
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Intergrade (already played the PS4 version but it was so good and the DLC seems fun)
  • Returnal (if I feel like I can put aside huge chunks of time to play it)
Looking forward to Demon's Souls and Ratchet and Clank the most.

I'll probably also pick up the new Mario Golf on the Switch when it comes out this week. I usually don't play sports games because sports games usually bore me to death, but I remember how much fun I had playing the original Mario Golf on the N64 way back in the day so I'm probably going to give this one a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad