OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Halfway through Fallout 4...you know a game is great when you can't pull yourself away from it. "Just this last settlement" I kept telling myself. Next thing you know its 2 in the morning.

Honestly, I don't know why the gaming community gives Bethesda such a bad rap. Ok, they imploded after Fallout 76, but you know what? Before that at least they had a couple of major successes in the Fallout and Skyrim (Elder Scrolls) franchises. And at least they were a company that tried, they were innovative, they were creative, they took risks.

The company who should get slammed is Ubisoft. They've never taken a risk in their life (and the market somehow lets them get away with it). You watch, in 3021, we'll be getting Assassins Creed 35 and Far Cry 42.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I like Bethesda games but I wish they'd move on from that ancient engine. Fallout 76 is technically a full generation behind its competitors, and looks awful for a modern game. And they're apparently sticking with that same engine for next gen titles.

It's kind of sad because Oblivion was mind blowing when it came out.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I like Bethesda games but I wish they'd move on from that ancient engine. Fallout 76 is technically a full generation behind its competitors, and looks awful for a modern game. And they're apparently sticking with that same engine for next gen titles.

It's kind of sad because Oblivion was mind blowing when it came out.

Bethesda games are so buggy, but never game-breaking or back-breaking buggy.

People just put it off as the Bethesda "charm", but sometimes it infuriates me lol.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Since E3 Expo is totally digital this year, I believe it's open to fans and more importantly FREEEEE.

Fan registration starts tomorrow June 3.

2021 Home - Electronic Entertainment Experience

E3 is June 12-15 this year.

Some of the companies that will be at the show

Nintendo
Microsoft/Bethesda - joint event
Capcom
Ubisoft
Take-Two Interactive
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Koch Media
Square Enix
Sega
Gearbox Software
Bandai Namco
Turtle Beach
Verizon
Xseed Games/Marvelous Inc
Freedom Games
Devious Eye Entertainment
Binge.com

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
So news on the Playstation front:

Horizon Forbidden West confirmed for Holiday 2021.

God of War: Ragnarok pushed back to 2022 - but will be on both PS4 and PS5

Hermen Hulst Q&A: What’s Next for PlayStation Studios
Horizon is not confirmed for 2021. Here's the quote.

"For Horizon, we think we are on track to release this holiday season. But that isn’t quite certain yet, and we’re working as hard as we can to confirm that to you as soon as we can."

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Sorry I'm just not a big God of War reboot fan. On the last game, a lot of emphasis was placed on the production values (which were tremendous, I'll give them that) but at a cost to the gameplay, which was only so-so. And I hated the fact that they forced you to switch weapons 1/2 way through the game! What as that all about? Just as I was getting to love the feel of the ice-axe they forced you to abandon it and take up the fire blades. Also the story wasn't that great either.

I actually prefered the original God of War series (GW2 and 3) to the latest reboot.

So I'll be passing on Ragarnok.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
64 player full crossplay first person or third person team deathmatch chaotic melee battle pre-loaded and ready for mayhem tomorrow haha...

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I assume you got it on PC? How is it? I’m contemplating either PC or PS5

I had a blast, thought it was hilarious lolol. I never played a game like this before.

I actually got it for the PS5, my old PC rig is so old. Was thinking about building a new one but with the GPU shortage... yeah going to hold off on that :laugh:

I was lucky enough to find a PS5 though and that's where all my gaming goes through as of right now.

As you can see... I'm pretty bad. This was me attempting to have some semblance of knowing what I was doing yesterday :laugh:

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
It looked like the Black Knight makes a cameo.

Funny thing is you can still kick with your arms chopped off :laugh:

tenor.gif

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I really miss that "push puck" speed boost they had a while ago where you'd tap RB and push the puck out ahead of you to skate faster. It was pretty accurate and worked really well, looked good too.

Yep. After playing 2 games on NHL21, I miss that too.

Don't like the interface it's too different from NHL 15 (my last). Need to get used to that
Especially in the GM mode.

Every NHL games (since NHL2000) I always played on the hardest level available. But on NHL21 it's impossible to play on it.
The opposition is flying. The take away the puck from you so easily. And you can even accelerate.

Pittsburgh 5-2 Washington
Toronto 10-0 Russia

4 minutes / period

C'mon 0 goals with a 100 offense team, really?
And my 2 goals with Caps were -> pass from the right to the left in front of the goalie and an easy tap in.
Impossible to score in other ways. slapshots, wrist shots,...

BTW, I hope we can somehow delete the "help" from the top of the head of the players, the arrows on the ice and the target behind the other team goalie.
It annoys more than it helps.:thumbd:

The only + so far :
I can still hit hard with my D (well sometimes)
And I receive a lot of PP's.
I had like 4 PPs in the 2nd game. On NHL15 I could receive 4 PPs in the span of 50 games lol.

I'll try this game on the 4th hardest level (don't recall the name)

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I had a blast, thought it was hilarious lolol. I never played a game like this before.

I actually got it for the PS5, my old PC rig is so old. Was thinking about building a new one but with the GPU shortage... yeah going to hold off on that :laugh:

I was lucky enough to find a PS5 though and that's where all my gaming goes through as of right now.

As you can see... I'm pretty bad. This was me attempting to have some semblance of knowing what I was doing yesterday :laugh:

The trailer is hilarious but is it worth the money? The game looks really limited for $40.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
The trailer is hilarious but is it worth the money? The game looks really limited for $40.

It's just mindless fun lol. The fighting is actually pretty in-depth if you want to get good at it. Like the reviews say, it's one of those games that are "easy to play, hard to master" with counters, ripostes, feints and the like. Usually you don't use those in a huge scrum with bodies all around where it's just hectic, but there are times when you are off to the side and a lone guy comes at you and it's a one on one. Those are pretty intense too.

There are 8 maps, a lot of them objective based maps with them adding more in future (and horses lol). And there are a lot of weapons. A LOT. But you are right, it's pretty limited in that there is no story (really barebones) or single player or anything. It's just battling 64 other players (you can also choose 40). You can pick up anything to use as a weapon or throw. Anything. Chickens. Chopped off limbs and heads. Fish. Barrels. Anything lol. Throw them down on to guys trying to break the gates open from above lol.

It's pretty cinematic too. You can do 3rd person or 1st person, and just looking at it while the countdown is almost down at the last objective while the music starts to crescendo.. kinda feels like you are in a real large scale battle. But other than that there isn't too much depth.

Like I said, it's just mindless fun. Something you can pop in and out if you got spare time, but not something you probably will be playing for longggg hours. If that is worth $40 is really up to you.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Chivalry 1 was hilarious. I got a lot of fun out of it. All of my hotkeys were basically for various lines of dialogue. FOR AGAAAAAAAAAAATHA!!!!

I do remember the combat feeling pretty clunky though. Honestly the best online multiplayer melee combat game I've ever played was For Honor. I wonder how Chivalry 2 compares to that?

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Chivalry 1 was hilarious. I got a lot of fun out of it. All of my hotkeys were basically for various lines of dialogue. FOR AGAAAAAAAAAAATHA!!!!

I do remember the combat feeling pretty clunky though. Honestly the best online multiplayer melee combat game I've ever played was For Honor. I wonder how Chivalry 2 compares to that?

I have no idea, since Chivalry 2 is my first melee battle simulator (what do you even call these things? haha). Online multiplayer melee combat game? That's a lot to write lol.

From what I've read though, Chivalry is more arcade-y goofy compared to the other IPs like it? Or at least compared to that game Mordhau.

SoulessGingerCapsFan

Jul 5, 2013

Haha, it’s all good. This game is a mess in the best way possible.

Ended up drinking too much last night and got it for PC. Been having a blast in my limited time so far. It’ll be nice when they get cross play up and going

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Far Cry 6 wants you to explore Yara without a gun in your hand | GamesRadar+

The Far Cry 5 criticisms about relentless pestering are 100% accurate. Constant plane noise was particularly annoying. This change via "holstering" (imagine that) will be interesting.

I only game on PC and love the Far Cry series. The campaigns are usually fun to play through once or twice. After that, I usually install a mod that just lets you play open world without the campaign. So for Far Cry 5 it's:

Far Cry 5 Resistance Mod

That lets you turn off all the shit you don't like, tune the difficulty how you want it (increased spawns, tougher enemies, enemies carry better weapons, etc), port in stuff from previous games, unlock locked content, and so on. I'm not sure there's anything you can't either tweak or remove entirely. There are similar mods for FC 3 and 4, but this one for 5 is far more robust and user friendly, in my opinion.

Reactions: g00n

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Playing Fallout 4 a second time, you just discover a ton of things you missed earlier: one pleasant surprise is the companion perks (ie,. the perks you receive from getting a companion to "completely like you") are permanent -- you can dismiss the companion or even get the companion to hate you and the perk remains.

So far I got the McCready (+20% accuracy headshots in VATS) and Cait (faster AP regeneration when health falls below 50%) perks. Last one I'm going to is the Deacon perk (+20% damage to sneaks attack).

Combine these perks with standard perks, the bobblehead perks and the magazine perks, and we're talking god-mode by the end of the game!

Reactions: g00n

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Yeah, I don't get it. I'm too old and resisted the new controllers for too long that I cant work the damn things now.

I like the keyboard and mouse, and you can keep a gaming rig going for a decade with occasional upgrades. These damn kids and their newfangled contraptions. Get off my lawn!
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->