OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
twabby, it gets better the more you play it. Like, exponentially better. I would annoint it GOTY, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming out next month and that also could be very special. But right now Spiderman destroys God of War and blows away Vampyr, and all the other 2018 releases. Every aspect of this game is well thought out -- the skill tree, the gadgets, combat, stealth, side quests, main quest, everything. New York is painstakingly recreated and there are wonders and delights just around every corner. Had to drag myself away from the game tonight, will continue next weekend. Can't wait!

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Salt & Sanctuary is the 2D Souls clone it claims to be. Great game.

It's a bit easier than the Souls games though, which is OK with me.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Granted, I have less time to play with the baby here but I'm having trouble finishing Far Cry 5. Not because I can't (I've cleared all 3 underbosses) but because I'm just tired of it.

The whole cult/bliss/redneck thing is tedious af. The pseudo-Manson family singing is nauseating saccharine schlock and it's pervasive. The side quests do little to augment your character and are only interesting to completionists. Leveling is OK but the weapons options are stagnant. The constant droning of planes starting up is a known bug that ruins the atmosphere in many territories. And the repeated "YOU ARE MARKED/HUNTED" abductions and escape/release feels forced and implausible. Don't get me started on mandatory time trials, like the abduction sequences in the northern territory.

FC5 seemed like it had a lot of potential. Far Cry 4 was not as robust in the combat and graphics, but it was much more immersive and fun, except for those damn dream world sequences and creepy demon things, which sucked. Oh and the constant eagle attacks, which are thankfully gone in FC5.

I know, I know. FIFA is coming out. I may get it. I also have Madden and Dark Souls 3 to jump into. But the talk above about Spider Man is also intriguing. I just have to find the time...

Reactions: sycamore

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Fifa makes an addiction. Its fun even with its shortcomings. You can always get back to playing FIFA too. Great thing.

Something about NHL didnt make it that much enjoyable for me and i didnt play it for like 6 tears. Should I try again?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I bought EAs NHL game pretty religiously from 93 or 94 up through 2007, then sporadically since. The last was NHL16. I will get the next one. But for years they've kind of bored me and I'm sure it's because I don't mess with the sliders. Need to find how to just import a good setting.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Spider-Man, NHL19 (which, from the reviews I've seen, has a greatly improved online-league component), and some of the PS4 exclusives are really tempting me to buy a PS4--which would become the first console I've owned since I ditched my Xbox 360 in 2012 and switched over to PC gaming.

Buuut... it seems kind of silly to get a regular old PS4 when the PS4 Pro is available. And if I got a new PS4 Pro, then I'd have to buy a new 4K/HDR TV (and a new home-theater receiver that can handle 4K/HDR) in order to get the REAL experience. I want to get around to overhauling our home-entertainment setup at some point, but don't really feel like dumping all that $$$ into it right now--especially just to play a few games that aren't available on PC.

I'm pretty much just playing Overwatch these days anyway. I plowed through 40 hours of Monster Hunter: World, but woke up one morning and was like, "WTF am I even grinding for?," and haven't had any interest in picking it up since then.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Spider-Man, NHL19 (which, from the reviews I've seen, has a greatly improved online-league component), and some of the PS4 exclusives are really tempting me to buy a PS4--which would become the first console I've owned since I ditched my Xbox 360 in 2012 and switched over to PC gaming.

Buuut... it seems kind of silly to get a regular old PS4 when the PS4 Pro is available. And if I got a new PS4 Pro, then I'd have to buy a new 4K/HDR TV (and a new home-theater receiver that can handle 4K/HDR) in order to get the REAL experience. I want to get around to overhauling our home-entertainment setup at some point, but don't really feel like dumping all that $$$ into it right now--especially just to play a few games that aren't available on PC.

I'm pretty much just playing Overwatch these days anyway. I plowed through 40 hours of Monster Hunter: World, but woke up one morning and was like, "WTF am I even grinding for?," and haven't had any interest in picking it up since then.
I had a regular launch PS4 and bought a PSVR back in February, and that was great but people on r/PSVR were saying that it was better with a Pro, then I ended up buying a Pro, so now I had a Pro and couldn't play in 4K, so I bought a monster 4K TV right in time for the playoffs. I play these boss levels in God of War and Spider-Man though, shit feels personal. I've just got to avoid rebuying movies in 4K.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
There is always something to upgrade to... something tempting like 32:9 144hz monitor...

Mind your budget and do whatever you want. 1080p ps pro is still better because of fps. The difference (in visuals) is not that big in my opinion.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There is always something to upgrade to... something tempting like 32:9 144hz monitor...

Stop tempting me.

With a 144Hz monitor would come a simultaneously upgrade to my video card. The GTX1070 is great, but a few years old now. I could go 1080, but eff that, let's jump all the way to a 2080. Hmmm, might need a new power supply to support that. Dump one of those in the cart as well.

And of course, I'm a dual display user. So if I have one 144Hz monitor, I might as well get a matching second one.

>Looks at price in shopping cart<

Whew, talked myself out of it.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Nah, you don't need 2nd monitor having 32:9 one already...

PS: Im still running on 1060 and don't see how to justify anything from 20XX series now. They're still weak for VR. Will wait some more.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Nah, you don't need 2nd monitor having 32:9 one already...

PS: Im still running on 1060 and don't see how to justify anything from 20XX series now. They're still weak for VR. Will wait some more.
Yeah, I was being hyperbolic about it. But the general point being I don't really wanna drop $500+ on a new monitor.

Although I am curious how Windows handles full screening documents on a 32:9. I usually have different things happening on each monitor, and I really value that independence. At the same time, I would love the seamless widescreen display for when I'm fully engrossed in a game.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ive read guys on the internets who think there will be rapid progress towards 480hz displays in next 4-5 years. For pc market of course. I bet gfx cards manufacturers can offer more calculating power but they dont because why would they shoot themsrlves in a foot?!

I think ps5 and next xbox generations will be fairly weak again for displays that will be available soon. I mean 60fps cant be aimed when you have 4x or more on pc. So Ill try to skip next console generation somehow.

Also there are murmurs about crossplay for biggest devs like EA. That would be sweet.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Why would anyone possibly need 480Hz? There's huge amounts of diminishing returns on faster framerates, and going that far just seems like a self-indulgence thing ("I get more fps than you do, neener neener") than anything that would actually give you an advantage or enhance your viewing experience.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Why would anyone possibly need 480Hz? There's huge amounts of diminishing returns on faster framerates, and going that far just seems like a self-indulgence thing ("I get more fps than you do, neener neener") than anything that would actually give you an advantage or enhance your viewing experience.
Did you try 240?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I have not.
Hmm, lost my comment somehow. OK, again, in short.

Current state of things: 60hz is unacceptable. Going to 120hz is much better but still not that good. Humongous big difference between 60 and 240hz (16ms for 1 frame against 4ms). 120-144-160hz and 240hz - that is not that significant for some eyes. But visible. Also - only TN panels can go 120hz and higher. So bad quality picture in terms of colors etc, but changing pixels fast enough for given hz.

Fast moving objects are blurred. Manufacturers use tricks to get better clarity of moving objects but they are still not good enough (comparing to old CRT displays). Some ppl on the internets speculate good quality will be available approximately at 1000 hz (and with 1000 fps from GPU). So 1 frame at 1ms. Currently not possible (mainstream is 60fps, right).

Although 500 fps @ 500hz will be much clearer than what we have now :P And there are shenanigans possibly available to get more fps out of hardware. Also I suspect there is more power potentially but Nvidia and co don't rush to make it available just to get more money from current products.

Another big problem is that when you want 500 fps you will hardly get it on 4k display. Even 240. You go with 1080p on higher refresh rate and you get better picture of moving objects.

Next step is ~1080p sized 2x displays in VR working on 120+ hz. It's not done from both sides (VR displays / computing power). And the more hz you will want out of VR the more power you need (2x).

The gap is so big for now that you will hardly change anything buying 20XX card with 20-30% more power (comparing to 10XX).

Next Xbox and PS generations are kinda things of the past from that standpoint. And they aren't released yet. I don't think they have 21:9 support yet. Maybe they won't.

In other words, even expensive 4k TV display won't change much in the nearest future.

Best bet is they make cross play possible (between PC / Xbox / PS) and you then can invest in best display + gfx card combo. Then all options will be available for PC user. Even half assed ones (much cheaper like 2070 in a year or two @ 144hz or so) will provide better quality than any console.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You lost me at "60hz is unacceptable." 60Hz can still deliver a perfectly adequate experience (and is already better than these 30fps capped consoles). While there's certainly rewards to be reaped above it, you're rapidly sinking increasing amounts of money for decreasing benefits.

Reactions: Jags

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
You lost me at "60hz is unacceptable." 60Hz can still deliver a perfectly adequate experience (and is already better than these 30fps capped consoles). While there's certainly rewards to be reaped above it, you're rapidly sinking increasing amounts of money for decreasing benefits.

Go rent high refresh rate monitor and get back to continue this discussion.

I do see 60fps artefacts every time I play PS.

Eskobar

Sep 28, 2016
HUT 19 players: I'll give Ovechkin, Bäckström, Orlov and Krejci + 11,000 coins for free to the one who PMs me first. Platform PS4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->