OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Sad to say but I'm pretty disappointed with Mass Effect Andromeda. SOOOO tedious. I hear it's OK if you just ignore all the side quests but the dialogues are all tiresome and pointless. It's pretty obvious they just added a lot of filler.

Going to play something else and maybe pick it back up later. I have a copy of Far Cry 4 I got cheap staring at me. May give that a whirl. Never played that series.
It's not even "bad", it's just aggressively bland and boring.

Reactions: g00n

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The twitch stream with Ninja/Drake/JuJu Smith-Schuster/Travis Scott playing Fortnite last night was great. The game continues to take off in popularity

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If you like retro games or platformers, or hell if even if you don't them, you should play Celeste. Probably my favorite game of the past few years.

Reactions: sk8ersublime

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Started Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice (2017) today. It’s one of those “Best Games You’ve Never Played” type releases that quietly won a bunch of awards. Lot of Norse mythology stuff; you play a Viking woman who journeys into Hell in order to put the soul of your deceased husband to rest.

It basically plays as a third-person walking simulator (a genre I’m a fan of, but obviously not for everyone) with some hack-and-slash and puzzle elements. It’s very nice to look at (on PC at least), it’s extremely cinematic and does some neat visual tricks. And the sound is absolutely amazing: your character suffers from psychosis, and throughout the entire game you have a bunch of different voices whispering threats/warnings/doubts at you. It’s pretty freaky, especially if you’ve got a good set of headphones.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
If you like retro games or platformers, or hell if even if you don't them, you should play Celeste. Probably my favorite game of the past few years.

I don't doubt that this isn't a great game but I just picture myself getting frustrated while playing it. Conjures up old school memories of Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads, Contra, etc. :laugh:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't doubt that this isn't a great game but I just picture myself getting frustrated while playing it. Conjures up old school memories of Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads, Contra, etc. :laugh:

The optional levels can be frustrating but the standard game is very fair even if it’s difficult. There are plenty of checkpoints and there are no cheap deaths so it is only as frustrating as you want it to be. There is also an optional “assist mode” if you’re having trouble.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Celeste was definitely frustrating at times. I finished the main game but have zero interest in the side stuff.

Plus I was playing it on the switch in portable mode so my hands hurt after a play session.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It annoys me that games have a ton of side quests that don't really benefit you in the main storyline. They seem like they're wedged in to add gameplay time and provide busy work for completionists. Most just give moderate boosts and/or relatively useless awards of some kind.

I'm trying to think of the last game where the side quests really fed into the main story or playability. Maybe some of the early Mass Effect games, or Borderlands, where the side jobs were needed for leveling and some special weaponry. Also Skyrim, clearly. And Fallout 3 and 4.

EternalOptimist

Apr 26, 2018
Anyone played detroit become human? Very good so far. I loved heavy rain and this is looking just as good if not better. Much better than that beyond two souls disaster

Obviously ton of replay value as well

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Anyone watching E3 coverage? Pete Hines of Bethesda Studios showed off his Caps Cup champion shirt on his way to the stage for the Bethesda press conference.

Reactions: Blitzkrieg365

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Playing Spiderman PS4. Believe the hype. The game is a home run in just about every aspect, from the gripping main story, to the gorgeous graphics, to Spiderman's witty one-liners. Combat is the centerpiece here, and there's a bit of a learning curve at first, but you'll begin to master it about 2-3 hours in, and after that it becomes an absolute joy. Best part of the game is the stealth --
I've stealthed enemy camps of 15-20 men, all from higher ground. Insomniac Games might have put out the GOTY here.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Playing Spiderman PS4. Believe the hype. The game is a home run in just about every aspect, from the gripping main story, to the gorgeous graphics, to Spiderman's witty one-liners. Combat is the centerpiece here, and there's a bit of a learning curve at first, but you'll begin to master it about 2-3 hours in, and after that it becomes an absolute joy. Best part of the game is the stealth --
I've stealthed enemy camps of 15-20 men, all from higher ground. Insomniac Games might have put out the GOTY here.

Just started it this morning and enjoying it quite a bit. I love the Arkham Asylum series so I figured this game would be right up my alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->