OT: Video Games IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Installed the 1060 no problem. Loving the performance boost so far. I usually end up skipping two or three generations when I upgrade.

I ended up with a free copy of Ghost Recon, so I've been playing the **** out of that. Repetitive, bad vehicle handling, and odd distribution of weapon stats (I still do not understand why designers think that putting on a suppressor on a rifle somehow makes it less accurate or drastically reduces velocity).

And yet . . . there is something oddly satisfying about shooting a cartel dude in the face.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
I downloaded NBA2K16 when it was free with PlayStation plus...talk about an awesome GM mode! Man. Blows the EA NHL series out of the water. Not to mention is just a fun basketball game to play.

I started playing some NBA2k17, and I have to echo what strungman said about Franchise/GM mode in the series - so good. I wonder how much has to do with the nature of the sports, but I feel like EA could learn a LOT from this game.

Speaking of sports game - anything decent for the Xbox Un baseball-wise?

CapsCrazyX17

Jun 20, 2003
Washington, DC
So...Mass Effect: Andromeda...worth your time, or a definite pass?

It's a fun game. It hasn't hooked me the way all of the other Mass Effect games have, but it also doesn't deserve the kind of backlash it got. It's definitely buggy and has some mediocre animations but I can overlook that stuff most of the time

If you're a fan of the series I'd definitely give it a shot

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

I'd wait.

Love the franchise. Huge fan of Mass Effect.

It's so buggy and broken, and while the first patch has fixed a lot of issues, there's just countless others that keep popping up.

None of them are game breaking, but they all add up to be massive annoyances which make you feel like you are fighting the game, rather than actually playing and enjoying it.

GreatEight

Mar 29, 2017

I would go ahead and get it if you like Mass Effect games. The trilogy is composed of some of my all time favorite games, so I am a huge ME fan.

Andromeda definitely has the ME feel, but it isn't as good as the trilogy imo. (I could be totally biased due to me playing the first 3 over and over and being extremely invested in those characters though) There are some buggy things here and there, but I haven't encountered enough to really become frustrated with it.

It does suffer from what Mass Effect 1 did in that it takes awhile for it to really open up and get going. The beginning is pretty slow.

All in all, it is a good game for what it is. Not the best Mass Effect, but certainly not as bad as the initial reviews made it out to be. My opinion at least.

thelebaron

Feb 25, 2013
san franfrisco

its a lot like da:i structurally(small "open worlds", many fetch quests) but scifi trappings. writing took a step back from the original trilogy as well.

kinda like alien resurrection in comparison to the first two.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
If there are any old school PC FPS/RPG fans, Prey really scratches that itch. It's the closest thing to System Shock I've played since SS2.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Steam sale!!!!!!!!

Should I get any of the following at their price points, and if three or more, rank them?
Dishonored 2 - 19.99
Deus Ex Mankind Divided - 14.99
Metal Gear Solid V (both) - 15.99 and 3.99
Rise of the Tomb Raider - 23.99
Hit man First Season - 23.73
NBA 2K17 - 14.99
Shadow of Mordor - 3.99 (9.99 for GOTY Edition Upgrade)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Get the MGSV games. They are disappointing compared to earlier entries in the series but you can't beat those prices.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I've been sitting out Assassin's Creed for a few installations but... Egypt and the pyramids? Oh yeah. I'm on that.

Also waiting for the price to come down on ME Andromeda. Have there been significant patches?

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I just recently re-installed and finished SoM on PC, with zero technical issues. I think that when it comes to third-person open-world action/rpg games, it's absolutely the cream of the crop, up there with heavyweights like Batman: Arkham Asylum and AssCreed: Black Flag. Mostly because of the Nemesis System--which, in a lesser developer's hands, might have been little more than a gimmick, but (IMO) was an absolute game-changer. I'm still kind of puzzled why other developers haven't completely ripped off and/or riffed on the idea. (I recently started playing the Mad Max game, which I bought on sale a while ago, and the lack of anything resembling the Nemesis System is super apparent.) SoM is the best $3.99 you'll spend during this Steam Summer Sale.

I'd also heavily recommend NBA 2K17. I'm not a basketball fan at all. I know little about the intricacies of the game. However, it's one of the most in-depth and polished sports-gaming experience I've ever had. The create-a-player options are amazing (especially with the mobile app), and feed into a ton of different gameplay options, including the cinematic story mode, the regular NBA season mode, online NBA leagues, online street/pickup leagues, regular content and community updates, etc. Oh, if ONLY we could get an NHL/hockey game like that.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
I've been sitting out Assassin's Creed for a few installations but... Egypt and the pyramids? Oh yeah. I'm on that.

Also waiting for the price to come down on ME Andromeda. Have there been significant patches?
ME has been patched, but tthey aren't going to be able to fix those animations. Or, at least, they're not willing to fix them.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
ME has been patched, but tthey aren't going to be able to fix those animations. Or, at least, they're not willing to fix them.

It's just in the cut scenes, right? The gameplay is still solid?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Did they ever fix the issues Shadows of Mordor had with the PC version? For $3.99 it might be hard to pass up.

I have it and seemed ok but admittedly only played it for a couple of hours before putting it in the queue to get back to later. Control stuff reminded me of Kingdoms of Amalur. You recall what the issues were as I was considering jumping back to it actually once this time sucking one month physical training program I'm on is over after next week.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I really loved the gameplay in MGSV. Metal Gear fans were disappointed in the story, but I never liked that part of the series anyway.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Gamestop is having a pretty decent sale on new games today. Not sure how long it lasts. Got ME Andro for $19.99. Actually paid more for AC Black Flag. The Skyrim reboot for ps4 was down to $29.99. Just about every new(ish) game was on sale.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Turned on FIFA 16 for PS4 and played it again after a long time off. I think I'm coming to the realization that I just don't love console gaming any more. Sad...

I do still love a great PC game though. Might try SOM.....based on comments and reviews.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->