OT: Video Game Thread: Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I think IV was probably the most underrated of the bunch. I loved the characters in that game as well. I played part of 5, but also never finished it. Id recommend finishing up IV if you get a chance.
I have 4 and 5 on the Anthology collection for PS1 but I never got through them. I'm still playing Dragon Quest XI because the damn game doesn't end! I thought I beat the game and they show credits and stuff and then go "Oh, by the way, now you're going back in time before shit went south, there's a new big bad, and the difficulty just spiked across the board." I've been playing for like three weeks already!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
RE 4 is an amazing game. The series (story and all) got a little off track with 5 + 6 and they certainly aren't as good as the former. But I really thought RE7 was a great change and breathe of fresh air for the franchise. I know alot of people complained about how does this tie to the RE story/past, but I'm under the impression that RE8 will explain and reveal this

RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Then 5 came out and I couldn't control anything - it was unplayable.

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
Bioshock Collection on PS+ is a real treat this month. The start of 1 and Infinite is superb. Incredible, incredible games. One of the greatest trilogies ever.

Recently replayed the series. I hope they make another one someday. After replaying them though, it was work to get through the 2nd.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
It would be easy to blame a development culture shift towards and assumption that they can put out broken things and patch them later, but horribly broken games have been coming out for ages...and there often weren't patch options either.

At least there's a chance it'll get better though.
DayZ took what? 8 years as an alpha and like 4 as a beta/early access? Only to finally be released on ps4 to zero fanfare and a buggy mess?
Some things work well in this manner, some things do not.
Ark and Conan I think worked pretty well. I can’t think of any others that have. Conan was much more niche though and the source material admittedly carried the game early on.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I found a collection of the most epic stories from Eve Online and they're getting me through a slow work day. Scooter McCabe is my hero.

The greatest stories of EVE Online | PC Gamer
That’s the space mmo that people were spending like 10 grand a pop for ships right? Then towards the end of the games life(unknowing to the playerbase) the playerbase gathered together in a massive fight al la Ready Player One(before both the book and movie) to get rid of a clan hoarding a planet or something right?

Reactions: Amorgus

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I’m actually ashamed to admit that RE5 is the only one that I’ve beaten. I’ve watched a friend play through the first 4 several times.
I could never get into the control scheme, it didn’t feel natural to me, but I loved the first three stories.
There’s a script for the first resident evil movie written by George Romero that would have been fantastic.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
I’m actually ashamed to admit that RE5 is the only one that I’ve beaten. I’ve watched a friend play through the first 4 several times.
I could never get into the control scheme, it didn’t feel natural to me, but I loved the first three stories.
There’s a script for the first resident evil movie written by George Romero that would have been fantastic.

It's really a shame how terrible the RE movies turned out. I heard Netflix is in development of a RE Show. I hope they stick to more of the video games story. I'll have to check the script out by George Romero.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
It's really a shame how terrible the RE movies turned out. I heard Netflix is in development of a RE Show. I hope they stick to more of the video games story. I'll have to check the script out by George Romero.
Netflix actually had(has) a cgi movie. It’s on par with the first movie, better in some aspects, worse in others. Worth a watch but not worth owning imo.
It was called Degeneration, and apparently had a sequel. It’s off Netflix now though.

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
Netflix actually had(has) a cgi movie. It’s on par with the first movie, better in some aspects, worse in others. Worth a watch but not worth owning imo.
It was called Degeneration, and apparently had a sequel. It’s off Netflix now though.

I think I've seen clips of this movie. I saw one scene from a CGI movie that was Leon and Chris fighting off some zombies; it was almost like some John Wick fighting/action. I'm sure I can find it online somewhere. Thanks for the recommendations!

Reactions: Defect

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
That’s the space mmo that people were spending like 10 grand a pop for ships right? Then towards the end of the games life(unknowing to the playerbase) the playerbase gathered together in a massive fight al la Ready Player One(before both the book and movie) to get rid of a clan hoarding a planet or something right?
The game is still going so I don't know if it's the same one and I think it's against the ToS to use real-world money to buy in-game items. But there are definitely battles with thousands of people involved in real time like ready Player One. That link has some amazing stories. The largest of corporations can be destroyed by one person's laziness, stupidity, or arrogance. Sometimes it can take a few hours, sometimes over a year. Nobody is invulnerable forever.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Been playing through Metro Exodus since it came to Steam. I got quite a bit through the GamePass version on W10, but that version is f***ing awful and I've been enjoying this one a lot more. Especially since I know what to do and how to conserve ammo and such.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Been playing through Metro Exodus since it came to Steam. I got quite a bit through the GamePass version on W10, but that version is f*cking awful and I've been enjoying this one a lot more. Especially since I know what to do and how to conserve ammo and such.
What’s wrong with the windows 10 version?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
What’s wrong with the windows 10 version?

For me to play it, I have to crash it first, then run it in safe mode, but doing so makes it look like crap. It can just randomly crash or feel like it's crashing. Plus, dealing with the W10 store and how it installs things is truly not a fun experience.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
For me to play it, I have to crash it first, then run it in safe mode, but doing so makes it look like crap. It can just randomly crash or feel like it's crashing. Plus, dealing with the W10 store and how it installs things is truly not a fun experience.
That’s stupid.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
DayZ took what? 8 years as an alpha and like 4 as a beta/early access? Only to finally be released on ps4 to zero fanfare and a buggy mess?
Some things work well in this manner, some things do not.
Ark and Conan I think worked pretty well. I can’t think of any others that have. Conan was much more niche though and the source material admittedly carried the game early on.
DayZ mod is 1000000000000000x better than the standalone.

I used to play that so damn much.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
There’s a sale on the PS4 store, ratchet and clank is $15. I just can’t pull the trigger on it though. The one of the ps2 was such a good game, I just can’t though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad