OT: Video Game Thread: Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I burned through a lot of the game taking breaks every so often when I got stuck on bosses (****ING ROM). I even got to the final boss before my ******* cat stepped on the power strip while the game was loading once and corrupted my save. Haven't touched it since.

Bloodborne is amazing. The best bosses are in the DLC. Arguably the hardest boss in all of Souls is in the DLC (Orphan). You gave up too soon. By comparison, I don't think I've ever died to the last boss in the main game of Bloodborne, while the most difficult boss for me took 55 attempts in the DLC. I got Orphan my 3rd try, mostly by luck. Jumped into a bad spot for him near the wall and I was able to use the buzzsaw on the whirly gig to chainsaw him to death.

You don't a piece of this action?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Bloodborne is amazing. The best bosses are in the DLC. Arguably the hardest boss in all of Souls is in the DLC (Orphan). You gave up too soon. By comparison, I don't think I've ever died to the last boss in the main game of Bloodborne, while the most difficult boss for me took 55 attempts in the DLC. I got Orphan my 3rd try, mostly by luck. Jumped into a bad spot for him near the wall and I was able to use the buzzsaw on the whirly gig to chainsaw him to death.

You don't a piece of this action?

You have to go back to the beginning when you die in all those games, right?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
You have to go back to the beginning when you die in all those games, right?

Nah, just back to the nearest bonfire (dark souls) or lantern (bloodborne).

It's actually part of the lore that you remember and learn from your death when you're reconstituted. It isn't like, you died and the game is returning you to the past to try again and you didn't fail. You died, it hurt, and you're sort of psychopath who keeps harassing elder beings. In Dark souls, say, Dark Souls 3, you're made of ash and the fire reconstitutes you. In bloodborne, you're part of a dream or nightmare that keeps recurring until it is able to be ended (a nightmare is cast over the land). Defeating a particular boss changes the landscape, because the barrier is weakened, allowing more evil in. One boss was actually helping (you kill them). A hunter must hunt.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Nah, just back to the nearest bonfire (dark souls) or lantern (bloodborne).

It's actually part of the lore that you remember and learn from your death when you're reconstituted. It isn't like, you died and the game is returning you to the past to try again and you didn't fail. You died, it hurt, and you're sort of psychopath who keeps harassing elder beings. In Dark souls, say, Dark Souls 3, you're made of ash and the fire reconstitutes you. In bloodborne, you're part of a dream or nightmare that keeps recurring until it is able to be ended (a nightmare is cast over the land). Defeating a particular boss changes the landscape, because the barrier is weakened, allowing more evil in. One boss was actually helping (you kill them). A hunter must hunt.

Ah, right. I thought it sent you all the way back. I don't even bother starting those games, because there's no way. I'd tear down the house the first time it happened.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I tried Bloodborne and was so psyched on it. DL'd it at midnight on release day...still haven't come close to even getting to the first boss. I just suck so bad.

Reactions: Defect

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Oooh. I'll watch this.

The story/lore/world/whatever is ****ing great. It's got that Half-Life stye storytelling where it's on you to notice the clues.

Yeah, the video I posted is pretty heralded / well regarded. Beautiful shots. My favorite part of the lore is by 3, it is clear enough that the entire world is a dumpster, nothing is worth saving, you don't even collect humanity anymore, that's gone, you collect embers. Time is collapsing, the borders between paintings and reality are overlapping worlds, everything is garbage, so there is a real question about the value of saving this world by linking the flame. The lords have abandoned their duties to do so, and there is the question if you aren't the bad guy by dragging them back by their eldritch noses to do their jobs. The ever-spawning psychopath who just keeps attacking them until they are defeated. A hail mary by the 1st flame to rekindle itself once again. There is even a remark about Lothric and Lorian having studied with a scholar, who may have convinced them not to link the flame, which could be a nod to Dark Souls 2. Lots of little gems.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
The assassins creed series has done wonders for my stress levels.
I wasn’t a fan of that, other than the pirate one. It was all too much of the same, but poorly hidden imo. Kill this guy, get new weapon, repeat 4 times and then kill this guy get upgrade for old weapons, repeat ad nauseam. The pirate one though, I’m a sucker for sea shanties. I played about halfway through that one.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I wasn’t a fan of that, other than the pirate one. It was all too much of the same, but poorly hidden imo. Kill this guy, get new weapon, repeat 4 times and then kill this guy get upgrade for old weapons, repeat ad nauseam. The pirate one though, I’m a sucker for sea shanties. I played about halfway through that one.

The newer ones incorporate a larger weaponry and playstyle, so its not just the same sword, armguard thingy, etc. You can choose different weapons, which affect the types of skills you can use. Speaking of, you actually have to pick which skills you want to learn now, via a skill tree, as opposed to just some weak fight and then learning it. Also, the naval battles in the Odyssey can be loads of fun.

I do get that it can seem repetitive at times, though. When i play, theres days where i progress the storyline. Then there are others where i just run in to town and kill everyone in sight and see what happens.

I promise im not psycho.

Reactions: Defect

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
The newer ones incorporate a larger weaponry and playstyle, so its not just the same sword, armguard thingy, etc. You can choose different weapons, which affect the types of skills you can use. Speaking of, you actually have to pick which skills you want to learn now, via a skill tree, as opposed to just some weak fight and then learning it. Also, the naval battles in the Odyssey can be loads of fun.

I do get that it can seem repetitive at times, though. When i play, theres days where i progress the storyline. Then there are others where i just run in to town and kill everyone in sight and see what happens.

I promise im not psycho.
Isn’t that the whole concept of saving and loading in Skyrim and gta type games? min gta the bane of my existence while trying to do a mission for real are the asshokes the bump into my for no reason while driving and the poor bastards that are “fixing” their cars. I just have to plow into them, consequences be damned.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Isn’t that the whole concept of saving and loading in Skyrim and gta type games? min gta the bane of my existence while trying to do a mission for real are the asshokes the bump into my for no reason while driving and the poor bastards that are “fixing” their cars. I just have to plow into them, consequences be damned.

Skyrim didnt do much for me. I couldnt get in to the Elder scrolls games as a whole. I think the lack of general direction put me off because it was just like "hey, heres a world, go figure shit out". I dont need linear, but I like a little more direction that the Elder Scrolls series always gave.

GTA Is pretty much that too, but i much, much prefer historical stuff. Fighting with swords, spears etc >> guns.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Skyrim didnt do much for me. I couldnt get in to the Elder scrolls games as a whole. I think the lack of general direction put me off because it was just like "hey, heres a world, go figure **** out". I dont need linear, but I like a little more direction that the Elder Scrolls series always gave.

GTA Is pretty much that too, but i much, much prefer historical stuff. Fighting with swords, spears etc >> guns.
Skyrim was blasted for holding you hand too much. Very little in terms of your dialogue, big glowing trail leading to each objective and so on.
You had a ton of options on where you could go but the main story was always available. Sure you could stumble onto 17 side quests where at least three of them are cave systems that take 2 hours to get through, but is that really a bad thing?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Skyrim was blasted for holding you hand too much. Very little in terms of your dialogue, big glowing trail leading to each objective and so on.
You had a ton of options on where you could go but the main story was always available. Sure you could stumble onto 17 side quests where at least three of them are cave systems that take 2 hours to get through, but is that really a bad thing?

Maybe i didnt give it enough time then. I remember playing a little in the beginning, getting that same feel as the other elder scrolls games, and bugged out. Maybe ill fire it up one of these days.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Maybe i didnt give it enough time then. I remember playing a little in the beginning, getting that same feel as the other elder scrolls games, and bugged out. Maybe ill fire it up one of these days.
Oblivion was better so if you didn’t like it you wouldn’t like Skyrim

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I play games to relax not pull my hair out

It is challenging until you hit a certain point in the curve, then you destroy most everything. Some bosses you'll take down 1st try. In Souls games, even in New Game + (harder), on a second playthrough, you crush most everything, because you get that good and realize how far you've come. The games are good at giving you a sense of accomplishment. While people can farm and overlevel to make it easier, but the game parses out how overpowered your character can be by putting weapon upgrades and healing upgrades only at certain spots in the game. You have to defeat certain areas more or less "as is" before moving on. So, defeating easy bosses in big title games becomes super boring, after playing Souls games. Some people say it ruins other games for them. No challenge/too easy/pretty visuals but empty gameplay. No big hit of brain chemicals. No rush. I don't fully agree, but I understand exactly what Souls fans mean because I agree with some of it and experience some of it.

Eventually, a Dark Souls 3 holy build run becomes relaxing once you're good.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Assassin's Creed: Revelation s is where they started making change for the sake of change and pissing me off. Then AC3 came out and I thought it was DREADFUL. I messed around with Black Flag a little but was overwhelmed and distracted by all the sailing shit and I haven't gone back. Brotherhood was my favorite. My friend claims that Origins and Odyssey were great and I hope to God he's right now once I finally try them.

Skyrim you break with a few hours of potion crafting in the starting village to improve your crafting way past where it should be for your level.

Reactions: Flyotes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad