OT: Video Game Thread: Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
OK, so I got Bloodborne as one of the free PS+ games forever ago. Tried it like 6-9 months ago, hated it. Just tried it again since I've read its a very good game, and I just can't stand it. I'm still stuck at the first level thing in Central Centralia or wherever the **** you are. I finally got past the big group of enemies by the bonfire, just to get ****ed up by two big dog things about 10 minutes later.

This is admittedly my first Souls game and I have a feeling I would like Dark Souls 1-3 since I read they're a slower, more cautious game than Bloodborne...but if actually still had discs, that game probably would have been snapped in two :laugh:

Playing The Last of Us for the first time since it was free for PS+...very good story so far, but the gameplay is just meh. Granted, I'm still very early in the game.

Gameplay and story pick up considerably in Last of Us..stick with it and you will not regret it.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I am assuming this is a ranking of favorite games? The NES Metal Gear is God Awful. Even for nostalgia purposes it sucks! Everything after NES is pretty much solid gold (never played Revengeance or Survive so I don't include that) but Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge sucked thirty years ago and they suck now. Haha.
I used to keep my NES games ordered by how I liked them, and Metal Gear was in the dead last slot for over a year, until finally I just randomly smashed the cartridge.

Can't really remember what in particular I hated so much about it, but it sure was vehement.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Have you played it?

Its evolution from ps2, ps3

Look at the freedom of movement in hitman 2. The details in the maps. Hokkaido and Colombia are insane and the 4k really comes to life.

Try it,

I think they're giving hitman 1 for free.
I have, and while I can say the parts that I played were good, I couldn’t play the whole thing. Stealth should be a game section or component not the entirety of the game. It’s far too slow paced for me. That’s coming from someone that enjoys playing civilization, even though I’m not “good”

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I used to keep my NES games ordered by how I liked them, and Metal Gear was in the dead last slot for over a year, until finally I just randomly smashed the cartridge.

Can't really remember what in particular I hated so much about it, but it sure was vehement.
It must just be my experience with the game then since it seems to be universally hated. My dad would play and I would watch. The parts he couldn’t beat, like shooting the guided missiles down electrified hallways, I would play. Maybe it was just spending time with my dad that I enjoyed so much and not the game itself.
Nah, that can’t be it, you all just have terrible taste.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I have, and while I can say the parts that I played were good, I couldn’t play the whole thing. Stealth should be a game section or component not the entirety of the game. It’s far too slow paced for me. That’s coming from someone that enjoys playing civilization, even though I’m not “good”

I have played it both from a stealth standpoint, and a fast paced psychological maniac standpoint

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I'm super good at Civilization, especially on easy mode, which is the only mode I will play.

I can't stand stealth mode in any game. It's too scary getting caught.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
EEF2FCEC-05DC-4920-AF55-11D356EF2D8C.jpeg
So someone on reddit saw this dude named Hexecutioners(team name not xbl name) under him on the HUT leaderboards.
In HUT, when someone has a 99 overall card, it’s either that person or a relative that is gifted the card from the player, pretending the account is there’s so the relative can get the 1 off boosted card.
It’s probably Brett. Useless but still kind of cool.

Reactions: Rebels57 and BigToe

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Half.

Life.

tumblr_lyzn58j27z1rnnop6o1_400.gif

TYgygZX.gif

Characters. Story. World building. Atmosphere. Gameplay diversity. Revolutionary FPS mechanics. It's got it all. It's insane how well it holds up to any game today.

The sound in this game was mindblowing when it came out. I'd asked for HL2 and Bose headphones for Christmas; what a combination. It wasn't just the sound engine; the effects themselves were on on point. Play the poison headcrab's trilling sound near me and I'll probably break out in a panicked sweat.

The Source engine was incredible at the time. No other game could match those graphics without needing to be run on a powerful machine. It's amazing how good the game looked even if you had a modest PC or laptop.

It bums me out that they never finished the saga. For all the heat The Phantom Pain gets for rather hilariously ending in the middle of a pretty major story without resolution, the lack of Episode 3 or HL3 is far more disappointing.

Reactions: kudymen and Magua

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
OK, so I got Bloodborne as one of the free PS+ games forever ago. Tried it like 6-9 months ago, hated it. Just tried it again since I've read its a very good game, and I just can't stand it. I'm still stuck at the first level thing in Central Centralia or wherever the **** you are. I finally got past the big group of enemies by the bonfire, just to get ****ed up by two big dog things about 10 minutes later.

This is admittedly my first Souls game and I have a feeling I would like Dark Souls 1-3 since I read they're a slower, more cautious game than Bloodborne...but if actually still had discs, that game probably would have been snapped in two :laugh:

Playing The Last of Us for the first time since it was free for PS+...very good story so far, but the gameplay is just meh. Granted, I'm still very early in the game.

Loved DS3, did not love Bloodborne at all

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Metal Gear Solid is probably my overall favorite game. Shadow of the Colossus is a hair behind. Halo. Diablo 2. Microsoft Combat Flight Sim. Sonic 1 and 2.

At one point I had Snake Eater, RE4, and Shadow of the Colossus. Still in my top 5 favorite games, though I've been mostly absent from gaming in the PS4 era.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

I lol'd at Central Centraila. Yahrnam is somehow even more depressing than that shithole. I did have a similar experince with Bloodborne though. I tried it, absolutely sucked at it, and couldn't get past that stupid bonfire mob. I came back after playing Dark Souls 3 though and something clicked. I burned through a lot of the game taking breaks every so often when I got stuck on bosses (f***ING ROM). I even got to the final boss before my asshole cat stepped on the power strip while the game was loading once and corrupted my save. Haven't touched it since.

TLoU is decent, but pretty wildly overrated. It probably has one of the better (if not best) video game stories, but the gameplay never really did it for me. See related comic below:

hBB2B045F

Microsoft Combat Flight Sim.

I loved that shit as a kid. My dad bought it second hand at a used book store. That game had the most badass manual I've ever seen.

s-l400.jpg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The sound in this game was mindblowing when it came out. I'd asked for HL2 and Bose headphones for Christmas; what a combination. It wasn't just the sound engine; the effects themselves were on on point. Play the poison headcrab's trilling sound near me and I'll probably break out in a panicked sweat.

The Source engine was incredible at the time. No other game could match those graphics without needing to be run on a powerful machine. It's amazing how good the game looked even if you had a modest PC or laptop.

It bums me out that they never finished the saga. For all the heat The Phantom Pain gets for rather hilariously ending in the middle of a pretty major story without resolution, the lack of Episode 3 or HL3 is far more disappointing.

I could go on and on about HL2 (and Episode 1/2 which are equally remarkable), but it’s astounding how much any modern classic FPS story feels directly descended from it. I didn’t even play them until the Orange Box on console, and even replayed them in entirety a few years back, and they remained fresh and innovative from a gameplay, narrative, atmospheric perspective. They were so far ahead of their time they basically ushered in the modern FPS. I absolutely adore Bioshock 1 and Infinite — two modern masterpieces mentioned here — but they don’t exist without Half-Life.

Sometimes, I ponder that Valve put themselves into a pickle with Episode 3/ Half-Life 3 and are waiting to revolutionize gaming again, like Half-Life 1 and 2 did prior. But they are a weird gaming corporation that allows its designers free reign in their projects. They also know the economics of multiplayer vs single player games, which doesn’t bode well. I’m not sure they will ever make it, and while I trust their judgment and the bar is basically set at masterpiece, there’s a big ol’ hole in my gamer heart without it. I desperately crave that sense of completion. That’s how good the story and characters and setting were, not simply the gameplay. I did read a blog post from the writer basically outlining what was going to happen, which also doesn’t bode well, but of course summarization isn’t experiencing.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I could go on and on about HL2 (and Episode 1/2 which are equally remarkable), but it’s astounding how much any modern classic FPS story feels directly descended from it. I didn’t even play them until the Orange Box on console, and even replayed them in entirety a few years back, and they remained fresh and innovative from a gameplay, narrative, atmospheric perspective. They were so far ahead of their time they basically ushered in the modern FPS. I absolutely adore Bioshock 1 and Infinite — two modern masterpieces mentioned here — but they don’t exist without Half-Life.

Sometimes, I ponder that Valve put themselves into a pickle with Episode 3/ Half-Life 3 and are waiting to revolutionize gaming again, like Half-Life 1 and 2 did prior. But they are a weird gaming corporation that allows its designers free reign in their projects. They also know the economics of multiplayer vs single player games, which doesn’t bode well. I’m not sure they will ever make it, and while I trust their judgment and the bar is basically set at masterpiece, there’s a big ol’ hole in my gamer heart without it. I desperately crave that sense of completion. That’s how good the story and characters and setting were, not simply the gameplay. I did read a blog post from the writer basically outlining what was going to happen, which also doesn’t bode well, but of course summarization isn’t experiencing.

They can make whatever they want, as long as someone gives me team fortress classic again.

I know everyone loved CS, but TFC stole a good year of my life, at least.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I bought a Steam controller specifically to finish the ~85% of Half-Life 1 I didn't get to on the original console after rage-quitting. I got frustrated again lol but this time it was with the controller - I didn't have the patience to sit there and familiarize myself with it, but I brought it back with me and when/if things ever get settled here I am sure I will give it another go. I have always really hated that I didn't get through it because everything about it was super cool except for how badly it scared me and how bad they were at allowing me to climb up or down mother****ing ladders, which may or may not have been slightly my own fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad