OT: Video Game Thread: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It's probably a narrow band of people who would consider being an early adopter.

You have to buy games specifically on the platform, so console players are unlikely to switch, especially with the next generation from Sony/MS being announced already. Those who prefer using a PC can do the same things with a sub $20 box or some software and likely have the hardware to render games at the resolution/framerate they want.

Plus Google has a well-deserved rep for dropping support for devices quickly and it seemingly offers no cross-buy options.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Now watch the headlines do them a disservice and read 8k 120 fps with raytracing. It won't sustain 60 fps on 1080p with raytracing in every game.

Half the available software will be hard locked at 60 fps. Worse with raytracing enabled.

Fans are already misinterpreting the specs. Don’t really blame them; console promo videos are always a mess of buzzwords.

I’d sacrifice resolution for smoothness. I don’t see the point of photorealism and raytracing if the gameplay’s choppy.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's probably a narrow band of people who would consider being an early adopter.

You have to buy games specifically on the platform, so console players are unlikely to switch, especially with the next generation from Sony/MS being announced already. Those who prefer using a PC can do the same things with a sub $20 box or some software and likely have the hardware to render games at the resolution/framerate they want.

Plus Google has a well-deserved rep for dropping support for devices quickly and it seemingly offers no cross-buy options.
Having a two year-old at home who frequently hogs the TV where the games are hooked up, this was appealing to me so I could play anywhere. I had that PlaystationTV thing for a little and the I have the Vita for remote play and neither worked the way I would want. For $169 I figure it is worth it. Also, I am pretty sure you don't HAVE to buy the games individually, there is a subscription thing but you CAN buy them. Maybe I misunderstood but that is how I thought it worked.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I’d sacrifice resolution for smoothness. I don’t see the point of photorealism and raytracing if the gameplay’s choppy.

Completely agreed. I also get entirely too much enjoyment from showing the "can't see above 60 fps" crowd what it actually looks like.

Having a two year-old at home who frequently hogs the TV where the games are hooked up, this was appealing to me so I could play anywhere. I had that PlaystationTV thing for a little and the I have the Vita for remote play and neither worked the way I would want. For $169 I figure it is worth it. Also, I am pretty sure you don't HAVE to buy the games individually, there is a subscription thing but you CAN buy them. Maybe I misunderstood but that is how I thought it worked.

Yep that would be great for your purposes. I was just saying I understand why it's an uphill battle for many.

There's a monthly subscription that will allow you access to certain games. Others will have to be purchased.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Completely agreed. I also get entirely too much enjoyment from showing the "can't see above 60 fps" crowd what it actually looks like.

Yep that would be great for your purposes. I was just saying I understand why it's an uphill battle for many.

There's a monthly subscription that will allow you access to certain games. Others will have to be purchased.
Dang, I didn't realize that. Oh well. I am a Google fanboy anyway so I am not upset. Haha.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
TLDR for E3?

Fallen Order is Uncharted with lightsabers
Final Fantasy 7 looks amazing.
Avengers is Destiny.
BOTW2 will be made, surprise to nobody.
Link to the past remake looks great.
Microsoft are still only making the same three games for now.
Sony won by not being there.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
It looks like anyone that got Borderlands : The Handsome Collection can get a temporarily free new DLC that bridges BL2 to the upcoming 3. The head guy at Gearbox may be a rampaging asshole but his company does an amazing job of supporting that series. Their other series aren't that successful so it's in their best interests to do so but other companies have been in the same situation, picked nickle-and-dime greed, and paid the price.

I believe The Handsome Collection is currently free on PS Plus this month so you can get everything together for free!

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Fallen Order is Uncharted with lightsabers
Final Fantasy 7 looks amazing.
Avengers is Destiny.
BOTW2 will be made, surprise to nobody.
Link to the past remake looks great.
Microsoft are still only making the same three games for now.
Sony won by not being there.
You mean links Awakening? Or did they remake a link to the past as well?
Links awakening is one of my favorite games, looks great with the new graphics, but I can’t justify paying $60 for it, like the amazon price currently shows.
Ff7 being released episodically kills the hype for me.
My dumb ass still has not beaten BOTW, and it’s been so long I’ll probably have to start over.
I’ll have to look into the others. I’ve never played an uncharted, avengers sounds sort of like marvel ultimate alliance(which comes out for the switch soon).
Thanks for the update.

Last edited:

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Still a disgusting sight.
20190614_100759.jpg

Reactions: BigToe

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
The new Star Wars game looks lame from the videos. Clunky. Not fast enough. No decapitations. Too safe. They should have made it Star Wars with God of War or Bloodborne style fighting (reactive, very aggressive). I haven't liked a Star Wars game since KOTOR.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Square Enix E3 killed it at E3

FF7 Remake is going to be so damn epic!

Undisputedly one of the best games of all time. I am cautiously optimistic but I am always scared that these remakes are going to mess it up somehow. It better be a damn shot for shot remake!

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
What have you done????
I had acquired Bo Horvat as part of a trade for Simmonds in my second season (gotta love EA trade logic) and was looking to move on from him by year five or six. I also had a logjam of forward prospects that were never gonna make it because of my depth. So at the deadline that year, Pittsburgh offers 93 overall Malkin for Horvat, one of the prospects, and a pick. It hurt so much to accept but I couldn't pass it up. He finished the year with 100 points, so I resigned him and now he leads the league in points in my current season, lol. I think he's 37 or 38 at this point.

Reactions: BigToe

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'm gonna get both ps5 and now xbox scarlett.

Why do they do this, I'm gonna drop over 1g for both systems, then buy crap load of games

As someone who has a really good PC, I find that the Scarlett isn't worth my time since they have the Xbox Game Pass now on PC. Can get their exclusive games day 1 using that game pass and play it on PC.

PS5 is definitely a day 1 affair though.

Reactions: trostol

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
As someone who has a really good PC, I find that the Scarlett isn't worth my time since they have the Xbox Game Pass now on PC. Can get their exclusive games day 1 using that game pass and play it on PC.

PS5 is definitely a day 1 affair though.
Rumor that game pass will come to the switch as well.
How does the game pass thing work? Stream from their server like a Netflix type app? No download needed?

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Rumor that game pass will come to the switch as well.
How does the game pass thing work? Stream from their server like a Netflix type app? No download needed?

I assume it may work differently on the Switch..probably wrong though..but for the Xbox you download the game

Reactions: Defect

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Another good year (2023). Any player you don't recognize is a computer generated one I drafted
20190615_092128.jpg

20190615_092152.jpg

20190615_092222.jpg

Only played or intervened in 20-25 games. Going for a four-peat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad