OT: Video Game Thread: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Would anyone here be interested in competing in a 6v6 Hockey League on Xbone?

It's a smaller league compared to others out there, so it's a tighter community. We play 2 nights a week (you can choose to only play one night if you can't commit fully) between Sunday and Thursday at 10PM EST 3 games a night against the same team. So we are usually done by around 11:30PM barring OT.

We hold a live draft every season, that you can watch on twitch. Teams are small, so if you are in a starting lineup on a team you are playing all the games you can make for your teams season. 7 players per team, meaning theres only one backup per team, that player usually fills in when someone on his team can't make it, helps the team practice, is still a part of the community that plays A LOT of hockey.

Captains hold scouting games prior to the draft to see new talent and how people work together. We typically have at least 1 Live youtube show per week with multiple hosts that are other players in the league discussing everything going on in the league, how teams are doing, any drama etc. We have these things we call writeups where at the end of every series between teams the winning team gets bragging rights basically, they can go on the site and write an article about what happened in the series who did what who talked **** to who, who coned who, etc, all in good fun, usually with a wide assortment of gifs. We bust balls and tolerate a lot, just don't be a *****e about it.

All stats are taken for all official games, recorded on our site for your team and you yourself as a player. Playoffs consist of 7 game series played over 2 nights. Captain of the winning team is engraved on a championship belt along with their team name, and mailed to them to enjoy and brag about all over the league for the remainder of the next season. We do awards that are consistent with NHL awards and some others here and there that are just for fun.

But overall the community is just really great. And a lot of fun to be a part of. Seasons are about 2 months long give or take.

Both @Magua and @Hollywood Couturier have played in it with me for the last couple of seasons we've run. I'm sure they could offer some more input or advice if that's what you are looking for on how to break in and have a lot of fun in the league.

PM if you are interested

View attachment 192475 View attachment 192477
View attachment 192481
I’ll have a new xbox by this time next year. I’d gladly take the belt from you.

Last edited:
Reactions: PALE PWNR

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I would have thought Halo 2 would have reached greater heights on that list than what it did.

Also surprised by DotA 2 blowing everything out of the water.

Reactions: BigToe

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
I felt that way forever, still do for most esports. but then the Overwatch League was created that actually used cities to represent teams. So I'm able to root for Philadelphia, that is what brought me in.
Not just the city representation either, they also incorporated a "traditional sports" platform with the league. So there are free agent signings, trades, revenue sharing, etc. (a draft is still missing though) .

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Still playing NHL 18; in about 2020/21 or so in my Flyers franchise mode, I saw a couple of our good friends flanking Nashville's defense on the bench.

20190220_115637.jpg

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
As someone who has always loved gaming with a passion, eSports just doesn't make sense to me. I love playing games, can't abide watching someone play them.
It depends on the games for me and also how long you're watching them. I always wished I was great at fighting games, especially the Marvel vs Capcom ones, but I have always been terrible. I bought Injustice 2 on sale to try and muddle through story mode like I did with the first but I kept getting destroyed right in the beginning. I could watch people play those games for a while. Maybe some shooters for a bit as well. RTS stuff, nope.

Hands down nothing is worse than watching someone terrible at the game when you know you could just do it for them!

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I wonder if this will be not just a place for video games, but gambling as well.

I know they also planning a hotel and entertainment thing where the Holiday inn was.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I’ll second the division 2 as being good. I’ve played an hour or two each night and I’m still not at the level cap. There are still a few main story missions left, a bunch of side missions, a bunch of bounties, and a ton of collectibles. Then there is also the end game content.
Very happy with the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad