OT: Video Game Thread: Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

For those of you not familiar with the technical aspects, I can't tell you how big of a jump this is. They're saying 25 BILLION triangles on one scene with 8K textures and realtime global illumination running on a console. It's a massive, massive jump forward both in quality and development time.

The downside is that games are going to get absolutely gigantic. Think about storage expansions when buying PCs and consoles. You're going to need it.

My phone can’t process the picture. It’s just a blurry blob. Too many triangles.

Reactions: wankstifier

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

For those of you not familiar with the technical aspects, I can't tell you how big of a jump this is. They're saying 25 BILLION triangles on one scene with 8K textures and realtime global illumination running on a console. It's a massive, massive jump forward both in quality and development time.

The downside is that games are going to get absolutely gigantic. Think about storage expansions when buying PCs and consoles. You're going to need it.

Are you f***ing kidding me? I'm gonna need a better TV

Partial joke incoming: does this mean we're done with cheesy facial animations?

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

AjarIcyBedbug-size_restricted.gif

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Are you f***ing kidding me? I'm gonna need a better TV

It’s going to take time to both develop with and master the new tools. It’s coming, but it will take a little while. Don’t rush out and buy a tv.

There’s also the issue of frame rate. Have to wait for real benchmarking and/or the locks devs choose.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
It’s going to take time to both develop with and master the new tools. It’s coming, but it will take a little while. Don’t rush out and buy a tv.

There’s also the issue of frame rate. Have to wait for real benchmarking and/or the locks devs choose.
Ok ok I will defer to your expert opinion thank you

I do need a new TV though. I plan on getting a smart 4K one. The one I have now is almost 15 years old. It's a Sharp. Nice for its time!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Me and my 18 year old brother started playing a Madden 2020 franchise the other day... as the Browns.

Have to say it is actually a decent game. Catching can be an arsehole at times but apart from that fine.

Just had the most ridiculous win have ever had on a Madden game.

Up 14-0 with 5 mins left in the first half. A win puts us 5-4 and top of division. Then Mayfield gets hit and has to leave the game. Josh Dobbs is our back-up... so basically have to just go run heavy and rely on our D, which is best in league on game. Hold them to 14-0 until the 4th, at which point throw an interception and they get a TD. We then have a TD called back because toes not down. 5 mins left and have held their QB to 4/18 or so and only 40 yards. He throws a long bomb that hits off one WR, bobbles and is caught by another for a TD. It goes to OT.

We get ball in OT, Dobbs fumbles at his own 20 yard line right off the bat... and they have 4 plays for a score to win. Actually push them back 2 yards but they still have an easy FG... but manage to block it somehow. Then go down field, get to their 10 using only a Hunt-Chubb-Blount running combo and never getting more than a 12 yard carry... and get the FG.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Me and my 18 year old brother started playing a Madden 2020 franchise the other day... as the Browns.

Have to say it is actually a decent game. Catching can be an arsehole at times but apart from that fine.

Just had the most ridiculous win have ever had on a Madden game.

Up 14-0 with 5 mins left in the first half. A win puts us 5-4 and top of division. Then Mayfield gets hit and has to leave the game. Josh Dobbs is our back-up... so basically have to just go run heavy and rely on our D, which is best in league on game. Hold them to 14-0 until the 4th, at which point throw an interception and they get a TD. We then have a TD called back because toes not down. 5 mins left and have held their QB to 4/18 or so and only 40 yards. He throws a long bomb that hits off one WR, bobbles and is caught by another for a TD. It goes to OT.

We get ball in OT, Dobbs fumbles at his own 20 yard line right off the bat... and they have 4 plays for a score to win. Actually push them back 2 yards but they still have an easy FG... but manage to block it somehow. Then go down field, get to their 10 using only a Hunt-Chubb-Blount running combo and never getting more than a 12 yard carry... and get the FG.

I would watch this.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Our Madden defence between me and my brother might be twitch worthy... Myles Garrett has 17 sacks through 9 games... :laugh:

but our offence is very mediocre.

Design a play where your fullback throws a fade to himself. Use this in the middle of the field. It will never be expected. Massive success is certainly technically possible.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Design a play where your fullback throws a fade to himself. Use this in the middle of the field. It will never be expected. Massive success is certainly technically possible.

Hahaha. If there were any actual useful fullbacks on the game maybe we could try. :sarcasm: I think we have actually used our FB on a passing play maybe 2x all year as a last option.

I think the only routes we regularly use are quick slants, hooks and outs... unless throwing downfield to Beckham as he actually will catch it 50% of the time on a post or corner.

The game wanted to use Chubb as a HB and have Hunt as a blocking FB on most plays. :laugh:

No thanks... just use Demetrius Harris at FB, as no freaking LB or FS is getting past him when blocking out of backfield. (Have Njoku and Seferian-Jenkins ahead of him on depth chart at TE... Seferian-Jenkins is somehow quite good on the game, though tbh does not get that many catches as Beckham and Njoku get 60% of everything and Landry maybe 25%.) Plus the game seems so audible based that having a TE at FB helps with options on pre-play.

But what do I know anyway. Our offence sucks mostly. Haha.

I wonder if I should call my two friends who were the Austrian NT QB for a while, and one of the top WR's in Europe, to gameplan for us. :laugh: They would either be sending full playbooks over in a day or just laugh at me.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hahaha. If there were any actual useful fullbacks on the game maybe we could try. :sarcasm: I think we have actually used our FB on a passing play maybe 2x all year as a last option.

I think the only routes we regularly use are quick slants, hooks and outs... unless throwing downfield to Beckham as he actually will catch it 50% of the time on a post or corner.

The game wanted to use Chubb as a HB and have Hunt as a blocking FB on most plays. :laugh:

No thanks... just use Demetrius Harris at FB, as no freaking LB or FS is getting past him when blocking out of backfield. (Have Njoku and Seferian-Jenkins ahead of him on depth chart at TE... Seferian-Jenkins is somehow quite good on the game, though tbh does not get that many catches as Beckham and Njoku get 60% of everything and Landry maybe 25%.) Plus the game seems so audible based that having a TE at FB helps with options on pre-play.

But what do I know anyway. Our offence sucks mostly. Haha.

I wonder if I should call my two friends who were the Austrian NT QB for a while, and one of the top WR's in Europe, to gameplan for us. :laugh: They would either be sending full playbooks over in a day or just laugh at me.

In past years tossing to an elite TE on a quick out route was practically a guaranteed 7-10 yards. Someone like Jordan Reed would almost always cut faster than defenders to get open for a second and get a few extra yards too. I mixed that in with slants for passing if nothing long was open and it was usually a steady march up the field.

But I haven't played the current iteration so for all I know that doesn't work at all anymore.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
In past years tossing to an elite TE on a quick out route was practically a guaranteed 7-10 yards. Someone like Jordan Reed would almost always cut faster than defenders to get open for a second and get a few extra yards too. I mixed that in with slants for passing if nothing long was open and it was usually a steady march up the field.

But I haven't played the current iteration so for all I know that doesn't work at all anymore.

It seems to depend heavily on their LB and Safety level.

It seemed impossible vs Seattle and Denver with Bobby Wagner and Von Miller... but it does work for ~5-7 yards on specific routes depending on what the D sets up with on pre-play. Bobby Wagner just seemed completely terrifying and overpowered in the game. Lost to Seattle on the last play of the game... and he had 2x interceptions, 1x sack and a forced fumble. And we were trying to avoid going near him haha.

Quick slants to Beckham when the opposition only have him 1v1 and the safeties and LBs are narrow are basically guaranteed 7-8 yards... have that pretty much built in as an audible on most run plays now in case they stack the middle. But does not really work once get near red-zone.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It seems to depend heavily on their LB and Safety level.

It was impossible vs Seattle and Denver with Bobby Wagner and Von Miller... but it does work for ~5-7 yards on specific routes depending on what the D sets up with on pre-play.

Quick slants to Beckham when the opposition only have him 1v1 and the safeties and LBs are narrow are basically guaranteed 7-8 yards... have that pretty much built in as an audible on most run plays now in case they stack the middle. But does not really work once get near red-zone.

Yeah slants near the red zone should be renamed "instant interception"

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah slants near the red zone should be renamed "instant interception"

Tbh our general red zone plays are 70% of the time "call a run with a blocking FB (TE), if the middle is stacked audible into a pass with 2x WR, 2x TE and HB out of backfield with mostly hook or out routes... and get ready to scramble as they probably go into man coverage." It works a decent amount.

Mayfield has more rushing TDs (5) than Hunt and Chubb (4) combined. Even though Hunt almost leads NFL in rushing yards.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Tbh our general red zone plays are 70% of the time "call a run with a blocking FB (TE), if the middle is stacked audible into a pass with 2x WR, 2x TE and HB out of backfield with mostly hook or out routes... and get ready to scramble as they probably go into man coverage." It works a decent amount.

Mayfield has more rushing TDs (5) than Hunt and Chubb (4) combined. Even though Hunt almost leads NFL in rushing yards.

That is another situation where "Find Jordan Reed, throw right as he cuts" really simplified those games.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That is another situation where "Find Jordan Reed, throw right as he cuts" really simplified those games.

The only place we are really weak of offence is OL... which does not help. So much pressure off the edges. If their OLB or an End has a special ability or is over ~86-87 or so they are getting through every other play.

Traded for Dion Dawkins to shore up LT a bit. But he is like a 78 even halfway through year. Mediocre albeit has potential.

Managed to get Trai Turner, and Bitonio and Tretter with him make for a great run game inside... but I dont even know who the RT is he is that bad.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
i really need to get either a switch or a ps4..i need something new to play

I was late getting to Switch and not their price is nuts. Ugh.

The problem with PS4 is that you have a new console coming out very soon. But if you haven't played this generation at all and don't care about where they online communities are focusing, then you can get years out of it.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I was late getting to Switch and not their price is nuts. Ugh.

The problem with PS4 is that you have a new console coming out very soon. But if you haven't played this generation at all and don't care about where they online communities are focusing, then you can get years out of it.

Its not just the switch that is nuts - take a look at the pricing for RingFit Adventure as well. this was 74.99 at christmas when i got it. shame on newegg(and im sure amazon independent sellers are the same) for allowing this type of gouging.

Capture.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->