Video : Dirty move in a beer league game

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
^^ I agree. There's always your wannabe tough guys but they're mostly all talk with perhaps some shoving if you're near their goalie. If beer league were truly that ugly you would see people getting hurt ALL the time because so many players don't know how to take hits and there can be massive size differences between players.

I'm curious what this "really great beer league" in Vancouver is though. :)
Coast Hockey League. Generally evenly matched teams within each division (helps that they have around a dozen divisions, and re-seed you into the proper division after 8ish games, makes it easy to get teams well matched), most teams seem to be full of pretty good guys with fairly minimal chippiness/B.S. (beside the expected shoving/odd hit/bits of stickwork), and free parking :) Not perfect or anything, it's all the way in Richmond, many refs clearly want to just go home at times and go into "call nothing, not even icings" mode, and the length of the 3rd period is not fixed, but overall I've been loving it, fairly well run league with teams made up of mostly good guys who compete hard without crossing the line too often.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I've never been in a game that got this out of control, but I do have to say that when I played HS hockey it was MASSIVELY more chippy/dirty than any beer league game I've ever played. In my experience there's often some low level chippiness in beer league (that is definitely unnecessary considering it's meant to be non-contact fun), but compared to competitive, full contact minor hockey it is very, very tame.

Maybe I've just been lucky to play in a really great beer league, but for the most part I think most claims of beer league toughness come from guys who have never played competitive, full contact minor hockey, who thus lack some perspective in terms of how rough hockey really can get when you up the stakes and allow contact. Obviously a 2 hander to the head like the one that started this thread is pretty awful, but in 99% of beer league games that I've seen the chippiness is basically just a bit of pushing/shoving, minor hooks and minor slashes, nothing like the dirty hits from behind, high cross checks and other fairly brutal plays that are a fairly common part of competitive, full contact, minor league hockey.

Most of the beer league teams we play against aren't so bad. But there are some guys who tend to get chippy.

I don't mind a little bit of body contact, but the thing that gets me mad quick is hacking, slashing and any kind of stickwork.

A few games ago when I had my hat-trick, I had gone into the corner to get a puck and this guy was going crazy with his stick. Needless to say I shoved him.

Some guys just don't know the difference between baseball and hockey.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
That was simply awful and Pejorative Slured.

Good to see that didn't happen in the LNAH at least..

it may not have happened in the LNAH, but the kid probably earned himself a contract for next season.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Is it bad that I find this humorous? In all reality, that was Pejorative Slured. What are you thinking man. Seriously, your in a beer league and a seemingly low quality one at that. Just a Pejorative Slured move.

Opus

Boondoggle
Sep 5, 2006
He should be arrested for assault with a weapon and thrown in jail.

That's simply disgusting.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
Coast Hockey League. Generally evenly matched teams within each division (helps that they have around a dozen divisions, and re-seed you into the proper division after 8ish games, makes it easy to get teams well matched), most teams seem to be full of pretty good guys with fairly minimal chippiness/B.S. (beside the expected shoving/odd hit/bits of stickwork), and free parking :) Not perfect or anything, it's all the way in Richmond, many refs clearly want to just go home at times and go into "call nothing, not even icings" mode, and the length of the 3rd period is not fixed, but overall I've been loving it, fairly well run league with teams made up of mostly good guys who compete hard without crossing the line too often.

What div did you play in Richmond Coast?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
What div did you play in Richmond Coast?
Getting pretty off topic here, but depending on summer vs winter, and who's on the team for the season, we've been div 4 to div 7. Most guys on the team are sort of in the ex-HS, ex low level rep, or ex good house league level, but depending on whether we have more noobs, or more ex Jr A/B ringer types we've been up or down division wise a bit. Our team this summer should be pretty strong, probably div 2-3, but out of only 5 divisions in the summer vs more like 12 in the winter.

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
That really bothered me. My competitive playing career ended with a similar play, but with the guy swinging across after a check. My head still isn't right and that play happened 5 years ago, I wake up not knowing where I am somedays, completely blank out some others. This play both scares and angers me, hope that guy gets what he deserves.

it's really sad and pathetic that a human being could be that insanely stupid, and have absolutely no regard for another person. why should it be fair for you to have to suffer (both physically, and not being able to play the game) because some other person decided to act like a total POS? people like this should be severely beaten by a large group of people..........with sticks.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
That whole gongshow was hilarious...the bad hockey...the chop...the amount of people watching the bad hockey...and the best of all...the fact that someone was actually videotaping that game:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad