Video : Dirty move in a beer league game

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
What surprised me is that his teammates stuck up for him. I would have been so ashamed to be on the same team as that tool bag. If my teammate pulls that ********, I'd be more likely to hold him down for you than to get in a scrum to protect him...

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Best to fold up your tent when lawsuits are coming...

That is but a happy coincidence.

the story goes that the league folded up, owed another rink (Pierrefonds 4 Glaces) 3 months of rent and stole all the team deposits for teams paid up for their summer league, as well as one team who pre-paid the summer and next winter.

Nice guys.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I must say, this sounds like a pretty pathetic league. Bunch of fat old men trying to achieve their version of glory?

Look, everyone is disgusted by that incident but you have to chill out withthe characterizations.

The league was actually pretty well run, outside of stealing team deposits ;) when they went bankrupt (in the hole for $300k, the story goes).

And as for "fat old men trying to achieve their version of glory".... :shakehead take a deep breath, stop being so judgemental. Even fat old men are allowed to lose themselves for 90 minutes at a time and pretend that they are playing for something(so long as they do not do something as completely dangerous as this). They pay very good money to do so. Around $700 per player for the season.

You will become a fat old man soon enough too. Until then, go easy on the age-ist name calling.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Look, everyone is disgusted by that incident but you have to chill out withthe characterizations.

The league was actually pretty well run, outside of stealing team deposits ;) when they went bankrupt (in the hole for $300k, the story goes).

And as for "fat old men trying to achieve their version of glory".... :shakehead take a deep breath, stop being so judgemental. Even fat old men are allowed to lose themselves for 90 minutes at a time and pretend that they are playing for something(so long as they do not do something as completely dangerous as this). They pay very good money to do so. Around $700 per player for the season.

You will become a fat old man soon enough too. Until then, go easy on the age-ist name calling.
Touche, mostly just trying to express my distaste for the league. I'm sure there are lots a decent people in the league, but if the cops have to get involved multiple times in one playoffs then there are clearly plenty of d-bags too, seems like a league that people are taking way too seriously. The fact that the league itself stole money from customers doesn't help its image.

With that being said, my comments were off base. There are plenty of older guys on my team, all are great players and great guys too. Still, when I do encounter those odd beer leaguers who get way too chippy/dirty (never seen anything like this, but plenty of slashes, hits from behind, etc.), they do tend to be almost always underskilled, fairly often overbellied, and always guys who take the league way too seriously, guys who think that because goons pull this stuff in the NHL, it's fine for them to pull it in a beer league, the classic "weekend warrior" types. My age comment was way off since these guys come in all ages in my experience.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Touche, mostly just trying to express my distaste for the league. I'm sure there are lots a decent people in the league, but if the cops have to get involved multiple times in one playoffs then there are clearly plenty of d-bags too, seems like a league that people are taking way too seriously. The fact that the league itself stole money from customers doesn't help its image.

With that being said, my comments were off base. There are plenty of older guys on my team, all are great players and great guys too. Still, when I do encounter those odd beer leaguers who get way too chippy/dirty (never seen anything like this, but plenty of slashes, hits from behind, etc.), they do tend to be almost always underskilled, fairly often overbellied, and always guys who take the league way too seriously, guys who think that because goons pull this stuff in the NHL, it's fine for them to pull it in a beer league, the classic "weekend warrior" types. My age comment was way off since these guys come in all ages in my experience.

All good.

P.S. in two instances I played for a few games in the MHL. Both times I did not like my experience.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Exactly.

Still, I laughed and I laughed hard. Idiots deserve each other. Anyone who wears a 69 jersey and talks **** while wearing a cage probably needs a good whack in the head. Just ban them both from hockey forever so no one has to see them try to skate again.

LOL....OH too funny...you guys are killin' me

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009
Anyone notice the tool is wearing an old Caps style jersey while the rest of his team appears to be wearing Sharks jerseys?

CanFan05

Oct 18, 2005
Montreal
That is but a happy coincidence.

the story goes that the league folded up, owed another rink (Pierrefonds 4 Glaces) 3 months of rent and stole all the team deposits for teams paid up for their summer league, as well as one team who pre-paid the summer and next winter.

Nice guys.

OMG :shakehead

Good think I didn't join last winter...

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Best part of it was the little chicken S*** running away and going over the boards to get out of there.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Ahhh the memories.

When I was in bantam reps we took a trip down to Bellingham Washington to play a couple games. We billeted out with members of the U.S. team. During the second game and the second day we were there the guy and whose family I stayed with did the exact same thing to me; a two-handed axe chop right on the top of my head. Fortunately he hit me on top of my helmet and I wasn't hurt at all. I immediately dropped the gloves, decked the moron and he broke his leg falling down. :laugh:

Good times. Good good good times. :yo:

Iit would have made for a very awkward night though if it happened the first day and I had to stay with them the same night.

Last edited:

Seanconn*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

omg, what is wrong with me. I'm literally in tears after watching that.

total doochebag thing to do... but holy crap, it just looks hilarious in the video...

hope the guy who got hit with the stick is okay though.

raygunpk

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Feb 5, 2008
He pauses for a brief second while he's charging up his Super before coming down with the slash.

DYNAMIC FORCE HYPER SLASH

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I can't speak for anyone else but if anyone did that to me or any of my team-mates and I was on the ice, I'd just plain lose it with the guy.

There's no place in hockey for swinging a stick at anyone like that.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Reminds me of what happened a couple of weeks ago during our state's High School hockey tournament:

There was a player against the boards who got nailed. There was a guy who got blindsided from what I recall didn't have much to do with the initial hit. After he made his check with the play stopped and the refs trying to get control of the game, the guy got blindsided.

He also got a broken jaw. The guy who hit him left the bench.

Both players will be given a permanent suspension from USA Hockey. Meaning that, odds are they won't be playing any organized hockey after this game.

You can read more about the story here: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/hi...l-brawl-hospitalizes-a-player-with-video-.ece

Let me just say that sometimes before our beer league games we see some High School hockey games. Those kids definitely play for keeps. I have seen some kids get absolutely nailed along the boards.

I have heard some pretty crazy things about the High School programs down here. There's a lot of politics that go on.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Reminds me of what happened a couple of weeks ago during our state's High School hockey tournament:

There was a player against the boards who got nailed. There was a guy who got blindsided from what I recall didn't have much to do with the initial hit. After he made his check with the play stopped and the refs trying to get control of the game, the guy got blindsided.

He also got a broken jaw. The guy who hit him left the bench.

Both players will be given a permanent suspension from USA Hockey. Meaning that, odds are they won't be playing any organized hockey after this game.

You can read more about the story here: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/hi...l-brawl-hospitalizes-a-player-with-video-.ece

Let me just say that sometimes before our beer league games we see some High School hockey games. Those kids definitely play for keeps. I have seen some kids get absolutely nailed along the boards.

I have heard some pretty crazy things about the High School programs down here. There's a lot of politics that go on.

I've never been in a game that got this out of control, but I do have to say that when I played HS hockey it was MASSIVELY more chippy/dirty than any beer league game I've ever played. In my experience there's often some low level chippiness in beer league (that is definitely unnecessary considering it's meant to be non-contact fun), but compared to competitive, full contact minor hockey it is very, very tame.

Maybe I've just been lucky to play in a really great beer league, but for the most part I think most claims of beer league toughness come from guys who have never played competitive, full contact minor hockey, who thus lack some perspective in terms of how rough hockey really can get when you up the stakes and allow contact. Obviously a 2 hander to the head like the one that started this thread is pretty awful, but in 99% of beer league games that I've seen the chippiness is basically just a bit of pushing/shoving, minor hooks and minor slashes, nothing like the dirty hits from behind, high cross checks and other fairly brutal plays that are a fairly common part of competitive, full contact, minor league hockey.

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
^^ I agree. There's always your wannabe tough guys but they're mostly all talk with perhaps some shoving if you're near their goalie. If beer league were truly that ugly you would see people getting hurt ALL the time because so many players don't know how to take hits and there can be massive size differences between players.

I'm curious what this "really great beer league" in Vancouver is though. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->