Video: 2013 World Junior Championship - Morgan Rielly, Canada

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

For Team Canada, anything less than winning the gold medal at the U-20 World Junior Championship is considered a major disappointment. But, for the third consecutive year, Canada is in just that position as they dropped their WJC semi-final game to the USA, 5-1.

The team will now face Russia in the bronze medal game, a country that has had some success against the Canadians at this tournament the past couple of years.

In making a comparison between Canada and the USA squads at this WJC, one area where Canada's southern neighbors excelled was the offense that was generated by their group of defensemen.* USA defenders have produced 27 total points in six games so far, while Canadian defenders have totaled just 12 points in five games.… read more

More...

Arathor

Apr 28, 2010
By a pointy tower
As the 2 other replies at the bottom of the article, I disagree with the author of this article. Reilly was expected to produce more, but it's kind of hard to produce points with a bench sticking to your butt all game and wonder boy (Hamilton) and Coach's pet (Murphy) doing competitive dance all game.

No ice time = no points, author.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Also worth noting the article doesn't have Morgan Rielly's point totals correct. He had 3 assists, not 2.

Basically Rielly scored a goal, and 3 assists in 5 games in limited ice time. I'd say he performed well.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Also worth noting the article doesn't have Morgan Rielly's point totals correct. He had 3 assists, not 2.

Basically Rielly scored a goal, and 3 assists in 5 games in limited ice time. I'd say he performed well.

According to IIHF he had 1g, 2a in 5 games (+4). Which is where I'm guessing Chapin got his information from.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
According to IIHF he had 1g, 2a in 5 games (+4). Which is where I'm guessing Chapin got his information from.

In the first game rielly passed the puck to oulette I think and rnh got the assist and rielly didn't idk if that's where he got his stats but that did happen and they still havnt changed it.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I also read somewhere the MR was playing hurt, obvi not a huge injury but was hurt. Can anyone confirm this? Because I've heard it more than once (while I was browsing hf)

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Since this is an article about Morgan I think the author should have given some more details of his performance so far. The missed assist is a detail that should have been in the article as well as the fact he was on the ice(and partially screening Subban) when the USA scored one of their early goals.

Since the author was alluding to the fact that Morgan failed to produce offensivley maybe he could have included where he sits overall in d-man points for the tournament as well as to what his actual ice time is. Most have said he got very little ice time and pp time but the actual numbers would have been a nice include in this artice.

The authur could have also asked was it because he wasn't producing his ice time was limited or was his production limited because his ice time was cut. Was Morgan hurt or did the coach not feel he was ready for the minutes?

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
i was disappointed with Rielly's play. Looked slow out there. I'm thinking he's playing through an injury

I feel this team was overcoached. They took a bunch of star players and gave them roles. Every shift seemed like it was a set play. In a tournament like this one, its all about letting the players skills take over. Rielly is a player that needs to get his feet wet, his ice time was sparring. Spott is a terrible coach.

How many times were there new defense pairings on the ice? Every other shift, he mixed and matched the defense. Rielly and Hamilton never really got an opportunity to gel.

PasDaSquini

Apr 4, 2010
i was disappointed with Rielly's play. Looked slow out there. I'm thinking he's playing through an injury

Never really had the chance to use his speed. Only time I can recall where his speed was present was against the USA yesterday in the second period where he came back to break up the breakaway which was followed by a huge save by Binnington.

IDK Rielly was Canada's top offensive dmen in limited time. He was not the best dman, Oulette and Harrington beat him out because of there 2 way presence but he definitely was good in his ice time. Cannot wait til next year though i think he will be able to showcase his talent more.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Never really had the chance to use his speed. Only time I can recall where his speed was present was against the USA yesterday in the second period where he came back to break up the breakaway which was followed by a huge save by Binnington.

IDK Rielly was Canada's top offensive dmen in limited time. He was not the best dman, Oulette and Harrington beat him out because of there 2 way presence but he definitely was good in his ice time. Cannot wait til next year though i think he will be able to showcase his talent more.

i could be wrong but i doubt Rielly is in junior next season.

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
As the 2 other replies at the bottom of the article, I disagree with the author of this article. Reilly was expected to produce more, but it's kind of hard to produce points with a bench sticking to your butt all game and wonder boy (Hamilton) and Coach's pet (Murphy) doing competitive dance all game.

No ice time = no points, author.

Agreed with this. I see the original logic in creating the pairings they did but it shouldn't have taken long to see that Rielly would've been a better choice as the puck-mover and offensive guy on the top pairing rather than Murhpy. Murphy wasn't nearly creative enough with the puck and was forcing plays far too often IMO whereas Rielly seemed to be more poised and evaluative with the puck and noticeably in his willingness to walk line the line and look for options rather than try to force shots through like Murphy was doing, a good many of which were blocked. Pretty clear to me Rielly's a notch above as a PP qb but I guess the coaching staff didn't see it that way.

And tbh I couldn't be any more underwhelmed by a D-man prospect that comes so highly touted than I am with Dougie Hamilton and that has nothing to do with his significance in the Kessel trade.

12345*

Agreed with this. I see the original logic in creating the pairings they did but it shouldn't have taken long to see that Rielly would've been a better choice as the puck-mover and offensive guy on the top pairing rather than Murhpy. Murphy wasn't nearly creative enough with the puck and was forcing plays far too often IMO whereas Rielly seemed to be more poised and evaluative with the puck and noticeably in his willingness to walk line the line and look for options rather than try to force shots through like Murphy was doing, a good many of which were blocked. Pretty clear to me Rielly's a notch above as a PP qb but I guess the coaching staff didn't see it that way.

And tbh I couldn't be any more underwhelmed by a D-man prospect that comes so highly touted than I am with Dougie Hamilton and that has nothing to do with his significance in the Kessel trade.

Yeah, I was indifferent to Hamilton which is well below what I expected for someone so hyped up.

On a sidenote, Seth Jones looked like huge out there.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

Yeah Dougie had a poor WJC that being said time will tell what happens when he returns to juniors and see if he plays like his usual self. Could of been just the system.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
I was pleased with how Rielly played...when he got ice time. Certainly our best pure offense guy, and was most certainly better than Hamilton, Murphy, and Reinhart. Was probably on par performance wise with Wotherspoon, who played great. Harrington and, until the 2nd US game, Oullett were great.

I think I know the reason why John Gibsons so ****ing good, it's cuz he has to bail out Murphy 60 games a year in Kitchener. Poor guy.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah Dougie had a poor WJC that being said time will tell what happens when he returns to juniors and see if he plays like his usual self. Could of been just the system.

Dougie Hamilton's junior performance in the OHL no longer matters. He already dominated there and has nothing to really prove except at the next level in the AHL or NHL.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I think I know the reason why John Gibsons so ****ing good, it's cuz he has to bail out Murphy 60 games a year in Kitchener. Poor guy.

:laugh:

To be frank, Gibson didn't really face nearly as much traffic as Subban did. At least not in either of the games against Canada, Germany, or Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad