Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) - Part II

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
I like his visible improvement at even strength so far. All you can ask for from rookies, and he's showing up after his shortcomings got exposed.

Reactions: Chainshot

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
I still see mediocre even strength play and a lot of hesitancy in his game.

Maybe I’m being a too critical of him, but I just can’t get that excited by him at ES quite yet.

How are his fancies so far this year?

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I still see mediocre even strength play and a lot of hesitancy in his game.

Maybe I’m being a too critical of him, but I just can’t get that excited by him at ES quite yet.

How are his fancies so far this year?

Whelp. 7th round pick, 10 games into his rookie season, near the top of the league in goals and you can’t get excited about him because he’s mediocre (not bad) in other areas of his game. Yeah. At this stage, you’re being too critical.

Reactions: Dingo44

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Whelp. 7th round pick, 10 games into his rookie season, near the top of the league in goals and you can’t get excited about him because he’s mediocre (not bad) in other areas of his game. Yeah. At this stage, you’re being too critical.

Re-read my post, that’s not what I said.

I said I’m having trouble getting excited for him at Even Strength (not overall where he’s been a revelation on the PP).

My concern is more that he’s played a decent amount of pro hockey against Men (SHL and AHL).

Just seems weak in most 1-1 battles and especially along the boards from a physical standpoint, but hopefully that’s just him adjusting to the more skilled nuances of the NHL.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Re-read my post, that’s not what I said.

I said I’m having trouble getting excited for him at Even Strength (not overall where he’s been a revelation on the PP).

My concern is more that he’s played a decent amount of pro hockey against Men (SHL and AHL).

Just seems weak in most 1-1 battles and especially along the boards from a physical standpoint, but hopefully that’s just him adjusting to the more skilled nuances of the NHL.

he’s a rookie ffs who was drafted in the 7th round. We are lucky he developed into the player he is so far. Maybe we should see how he is after the season before we say his 5v5 is struggling. It’s been 10 games.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
he’s a rookie ffs who was drafted in the 7th round. We are lucky he developed into the player he is so far. Maybe we should see how he is after the season before we say his 5v5 is struggling. It’s been 10 games.

Man, some people on here are a little triggered by a shred of Oloffson criticism.

Again, I’m ecstatic with where he is overall. Just thought the few extra years of development in pro leagues against grown men would have helped him a bit more down low and along the boards.

This wasn’t a panic hot take, just an observation. We’ll agree to disagree.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Man, some people on here are a little triggered by a shred of Oloffson criticism.

Again, I’m ecstatic with where he is overall. Just thought the few extra years of development in pro leagues against grown men would have helped him a bit more down low and along the boards.

This wasn’t a panic hot take, just an observation. We’ll agree to disagree.

a few extra years so we can bring him up when he is 27? That sounds like a great idea.

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

To be fair, it’s totally legitimate to criticize any player on the active roster - regardless if it’s their first game or thousandth game. Couple that with the fact he’s been playing pro hockey against men for six years it’s not as if Olofsson is a 18 or 19 year old rookie coming out of juniors.

With that said, Olofsson is permanently dangerous on the ice with a shot like that. Maybe teams made him prove that the first few games and now others are aware and he’s gotta adjust a bit. That’s fine.

Krueger seems to be allowing these guys to make mistakes and learn. There’s room for error and learning without getting demoted. It’s easy to say when overall success is good.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I think it's totally fair to criticize VO for his lack of physicality. He struggles with forecheck and 1 v 1 battles. It was one of the main reasons why he went undrafted and then didn't get picked until the 7th round the next year.

But I think he'll end up just fine, I'm already starting to see improvement in this area after 10 games. He'll easily turn out to be a legit top 6 forward imo, if he's not there already.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Olofsson would do well to follow this advice. Bring Ray in for a few practices and make it clear he is not to give any English lessons.

GROSEK'S BENCHING AN OPEN-AND-SHUT CASE
Not long after Maxim Afinogenov was promoted from Rochester, winger Rob Ray pulled the rookie aside and outlined a few necessities for survival in the NHL.
Ray reminded the skilled winger to keep his stick, the one true equalizer, up when danger neared. Afinogenov learned quickly and the pests have been keeping their distance.
"He's a guy that's obviously going to be a target," Ray said. "He's going to become more and more of a target with the more he plays and the better he gets. Sooner or later, word is going to get around that he's not going to take that crap."

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
His physicality will never be a calling card. He just needs to learn to move the puck quick, have at least one linemate who can be a possession beast. Score 30 a year, be a pp sniper. Plays an important role.

He should never leave Jack.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Better check Mikheyev's birth certificate. :laugh:

upload_2019-10-26_17-27-7.png

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
His physicality will never be a calling card. He just needs to learn to move the puck quick, have at least one linemate who can be a possession beast. Score 30 a year, be a pp sniper. Plays an important role.

He should never leave Jack.

He has gotten better at adjusting to the pace of play at even strength. I thought he had his best all-around game against the Wings. That said, I am not attached to him being attached to Jack.

Reactions: Gabrielor and Paxon

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He has gotten better at adjusting to the pace of play at even strength. I thought he had his best all-around game against the Wings. That said, I am not attached to him being attached to Jack.

That was probably too strong. But I think they are a good fit, because Olofsson can be dangerous from distance. Give them a real mucker and spread Reinhart elsewhere.

Tho I really just need him with an elite passer, so him and Reinhart together would be fine.

Maybe Mitts and a less tightly checked line would work the way mitts is warming up.

As long as they don't mismatch him with LOG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->