Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) – '18-19: Rochester #12 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
You do realize it's Phil who decides the game roster, not Jason, right?

Why blame Botterill for doing his job. He's letting talent develop, he's showing great patience after he was forced to reshape some of the roster, a roster by the way that couldn't get out of the bottom 10. For all the talk from the "we traded ROR, woes me" crowd, they completely ignore the fact this team came in dead last in the league while he was here, stop and think on that, dead last. Same can be said about Lehner as well.
The reality is, players came here from the past regime, and for one reason or another couldn't hold it together, how in the hell is that on Botterill? After all, he didn't bring them in.
Dead last with house fly as the coach. I would of liked Botts to choose a better coach then. you really think our roster is filled with spots people earned like it was preached in camp? We Don't let our kids play when they clearly earned a chance. And FYI botts can tell housley to sit sobotka and play cj or hes fired. So of course blame lies on him.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Poster above said 24 so that's what I went with. And that doesn't make it much better and I'll tell you why: analytics guys have determined that a guy's absolute peak athletic years are between 22-28. Keeping a guy who is older than 22 in the AHL who should be in the NHL is basically wasting an assett.
Prove your work...

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Poster above said 24 so that's what I went with. And that doesn't make it much better and I'll tell you why: analytics guys have determined that a guy's absolute peak athletic years are between 22-28. Keeping a guy who is older than 22 in the AHL who should be in the NHL is basically wasting an assett.
I'm quite positive that the great players(Gretz, Mario, Sidney, etc.) all have their best seasons 22-24 and the majority of players have their best seasons 26-28(however these average ages get younger every year). Olofsson has tons of great hockey left.

I'm also quite positive I read somewhere that if we call him up before the TDL he won't be eligible for AHL playoffs. That is most likely the reason for keeping him down. See if anyone can be traded at the DL, call up AHLers to fill in the roster spot. Send them back down for AHL playoffs if the Sabres miss.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The team finished dead last with Jack on the roster so using that logic we should've gotten rid of him too right?
Ah, so I see. Reshape the roster by getting rid of Jack and keep ROR. Great plan.

Olofsson will be in a Sabres uniform eventually.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Prove your work...

There’s been a number of breakdowns.

Most I have read actually indicate that prime goal scoring years are a touch younger, 20-24.

Super elite players obviously drag those ranges wider, but for your average nhler, scoring is a young man’s game.

The reasons why are less developed, but personally, I think the physical stuff is one element, but mentally the drive to go to the net, take the beatings and generally care enough after making several million dollars.

The Ovies and Marleau’s of the league are the big exception.

Reactions: sabremike

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
There’s been a number of breakdowns.

Most I have read actually indicate that prime goal scoring years are a touch younger, 20-24.

Super elite players obviously drag those ranges wider, but for your average nhler, scoring is a young man’s game.

The reasons why are less developed, but personally, I think the physical stuff is one element, but mentally the drive to go to the net, take the beatings and generally care enough after making several million dollars.

The Ovies and Marleau’s of the league are the big exception.
Unless you have multiple personalities or post from separate accounts, it wasn’t directed at you.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Unless you have multiple personalities or post from separate accounts, it wasn’t directed at you.
There's this thing called Google, go use it to find the articles because I don't have the time or energy to type out a 10,000 word reply. Also you might not want to be snarky to a guy who decided to answer your question.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
There's this thing called Google, go use it to find the articles because I don't have the time or energy to type out a 10,000 word reply. Also you might not want to be snarky to a guy who decided to answer your question.
Or maybe Don’t just post stuff without facts to back it up

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This entire prime years of production argument for a call up is somewhat silly. Each player has an individual arc and I doubt there are many 7th round late bloomers in these average peak performance stats.

Olofsson is already an outlier as a 7th rounder with a real chance at the NHL.

Looking at Cullen's ranking of draft position value based on where players end up in their careers (data from the 1990-2010 drafts).

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-expected-value-of-nhl-draft-picks-1.317819

Only 1.9% of players drafted where he was ended up a top 6 forwards/top 4 dmen.

The average ranking on a system of 1- (10 or fewer NHL games) to 10 (generational player) for his draft spot of #181 averages out to 1.55. Thats between a minor leaguer with under 50 NHL games and a guy with only 10 NHL games.

So lets be patient, watch him develop and hope he keeps beating the odds.

Last edited:

SwedeDreams

Oct 15, 2018
Mickey Mouse Will be called up before him?
Just trade him, he deserve better then this
Swedish League scoring winner doesent seem to be needed here

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This entire prime years of production argument for a call up is somewhat silly. Each player has an individual arc and I doubt there are many 7th round late bloomers in these average peak performance stats.

Olofsson is already an outlier as a 7th rounder with a real chance at the NHL.

Looking at Cullen's ranking of draft position value based on where players end up in their careers (data from the 1990-2010 drafts).

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-expected-value-of-nhl-draft-picks-1.317819

Only 1.9% of players drafted where he was ended up a top 6 forwards/top 4 dmen.

The average ranking on a system of 1- (10 or fewer NHL games) to 10 (generational player) for his draft spot of #181 averages out to 1.55. Thats between a minor leaguer with under 50 NHL games and a guy with only 10 NHL games.

So lets be patient, watch him develop and hope he keeps beating the odds.
Where he was drafted is totally meaningless. What counts is that in the AHL he is slightly below a ppg average. That seems to indicate he should probably get a look with the varsity sooner rather than later. The fact he turns 24 this offseason (which means he is NOT a kid) and has essentially been a professional for years also suggest he should be in Buffalo.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Where he was drafted is totally meaningless. What counts is that in the AHL he is slightly below a ppg average. That seems to indicate he should probably get a look with the varsity sooner rather than later. The fact he turns 24 this offseason (which means he is NOT a kid) and has essentially been a professional for years also suggest he should be in Buffalo.
That’s Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad