Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) – '18-19: Rochester #12 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't want to wait until the deadline, it's obviously what Botterill is doing, if that's his choice, it's his choice. If nothing happens and Olofsson stays in Rochester for an entire season for a playoff run, that to, is Botterill's choice. He's the GM, I'll defer to his decisions, after all, do I personally, have a choice :)

Got the AHLTV package Chain. Have seen roughly 25 games or so, admittedly he does spend time on the LW, but the games I've watched, on or off the PP, he's been slotted on the right.

I have the AHLTV package and I watched him in SHL last year. He slots predominantly at LW when I'm watching. O'Regan is on the right and Asplund is the center.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
How is his all around 5v5 play looking?

Is he super noticeable, or is he one of those guys that you just notice when they score?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I have the AHLTV package and I watched him in SHL last year. He slots predominantly at LW when I'm watching. O'Regan is on the right and Asplund is the center.
Don't know what to say then. I see him on the right more than the left, although, I didn't see him in the SHL. But I just watched last game, and he was on the right more than the left from the game I watched.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Don't know what to say then. I see him on the right more than the left, although, I didn't see him in the SHL. But I just watched last game, and he was on the right more than the left from the game I watched.

He’s played LW the entire season including last night. He does line up on the right side on the PP

Reactions: Chainshot

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It was deemed he needed the year to acclimate to the North American game. This is his first season in North America. He'll be a staple on the Sabres roster next season to be sure.

Edit: And this is what I like about Jason Botterill as a General Manager. He was big on allowing the Penguins system develop guys, Buffalo needs that more than anything regardless of how this season goes. And he won't move any of the three 1st's he has in the 2019 draft, he fully realizes Olofsson is one of the answers the Sabres seek.

I project Olofsson on Mittelstadts or Eichel's wing, definitely a top 6'er. If with Jack I can see him net 40 goals a season given Jack's playmaking abilities.

Let’s assume that this is Botts overall plan as you suggest. Tho it seems pretty weird to not try a couple young guys when a playoff spot is up for grabs, in a sport where a hot goalie could steal you a cup, but whatever.

Given that, don’t you see a factual issue with the belief that Botts is big on development, when he keeps Mitts up when he is borderline ready for the bottom 6 at age 19-20? Or keeping up Thompson to just sit or play light minutes at 20-21? Meanwhile Olofsson has been far better in the A than Tage was last year and has a history of professional success at age 24?

All because “it was decided” in the summer?

I’m happy you have such clarity with Botts plan, but I’m pretty baffled at this point of what he plans to do other than ride out the clock hoping that luck and circumstances workout.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Let’s assume that this is Botts overall plan as you suggest. Tho it seems pretty weird to not try a couple young guys when a playoff spot is up for grabs, in a sport where a hot goalie could steal you a cup, but whatever.

Given that, don’t you see a factual issue with the belief that Botts is big on development, when he keeps Mitts up when he is borderline ready for the bottom 6 at age 19-20? Or keeping up Thompson to just sit or play light minutes at 20-21? Meanwhile Olofsson has been far better in the A than Tage was last year and has a history of professional success at age 24?

All because “it was decided” in the summer?

I’m happy you have such clarity with Botts plan, but I’m pretty baffled at this point of what he plans to do other than ride out the clock hoping that luck and circumstances workout.
He received analysis and reports from his staff, coaches, scouts that those 2 were NHL ready? Just a guess.

I think Botterill has an idea of where he is with a plan for the team, including Olofsson.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He received analysis and reports from his staff, coaches, scouts that those 2 were NHL ready? Just a guess.

I think Botterill has an idea of where he is with a plan for the team, including Olofsson.

If someon on his staff told him Tage Thompson was/is nhl ready, that person should be fired. It doesn’t take an expert to see that it might have been a good idea to rotate Tage down when he routinely hurt the team. But Maybe it’s the same person who told him Sobotka was a good pickup too.

My point is not that Botts doesn’t have a “plan” in his head. That would be pretty special. What I’m saying is that said plan is a very discreet, well hidden plan so far. Filled with contradictions.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019

What is his plan for Olofsson score another hattie become the team leader in scoring get called up then get sat so he can learn from the box watching tage and vlad?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
What is his plan for Olofsson score another hattie become the team leader in scoring get called up then get sat so he can learn from the box watching tage and vlad?
You do realize it's Phil who decides the game roster, not Jason, right?

Why blame Botterill for doing his job. He's letting talent develop, he's showing great patience after he was forced to reshape some of the roster, a roster by the way that couldn't get out of the bottom 10. For all the talk from the "we traded ROR, woes me" crowd, they completely ignore the fact this team came in dead last in the league while he was here, stop and think on that, dead last. Same can be said about Lehner as well.
The reality is, players came here from the past regime, and for one reason or another couldn't hold it together, how in the hell is that on Botterill? After all, he didn't bring them in.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Why blame Botterill for doing his job. He's letting talent develop, he's showing great patience after he was forced to reshape some of the roster, a roster by the way that couldn't get out of the bottom 10. For all the talk from the "we traded ROR, woes me" crowd, they completely ignore the fact this team came in dead last in the league while he was here, stop and think on that, dead last. Same can be said about Lehner as well.
The reality is, players came here from the past regime, and for one reason or another couldn't hold it together, how in the hell is that on Botterill? After all, he didn't bring them in.
The team finished dead last with Jack on the roster so using that logic we should've gotten rid of him too right?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

The team ending in last place is on Botterill, yes. In fact it's entirely on him.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So we have a TWENTY FOUR YEAR OLD tearing the AHL a new asshole and our GM thinks "needs more slow cooking". WHAT. THE. f***??? To put it more bluntly: next season he will be closer to 30 than 20.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
Waive Hunwick, send him down, and call up Oloffson. Rotate TWO forwards sitting out. Create more competition. Pommer should sit every B2B(at least). Thompson had his best stretch after sitting a few games in a row. Keep legs fresh.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm quite certain Olofsson will be called up right after the trade deadline. It makes perfect sense to preserve his availability for the AHL playoffs by waiting an extra 13 days. I don't know what happens to his eligibility if they call him up now and send him down right before the deadline, does anyone know the answer to that?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I'm quite certain Olofsson will be called up right after the trade deadline. It makes perfect sense to preserve his availability for the AHL playoffs by waiting an extra 13 days. I don't know what happens to his eligibility if they call him up now and send him down right before the deadline, does anyone know the answer to that?
Well, since every year a bunch of guys get sent down right before the dealine, I believe that you maintain eligibility as long as you are on the roster on a given date. But why bother in VO's case? Just wait until after the roster lock date, and then give him 10-15 games to end the NHL season. I don't know if going up and down is a good thing. Besides, you have to keep showcasing Sobotka, right?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Botts might want to keep the Amerks whole and let them build momentum going into the playoffs.

VO might get a game or two to get a taste, but I doubt he is up full time down the stretch unless there is a sell off of a few wingers at the TDL.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
So we have a TWENTY FOUR YEAR OLD tearing the AHL a new ******* and our GM thinks "needs more slow cooking". WHAT. THE. ****??? To put it more bluntly: next season he will be closer to 30 than 20.

Olofsson is 23

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Olofsson is 23
Poster above said 24 so that's what I went with. And that doesn't make it much better and I'll tell you why: analytics guys have determined that a guy's absolute peak athletic years are between 22-28. Keeping a guy who is older than 22 in the AHL who should be in the NHL is basically wasting an assett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad