Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) – '18-19: Rochester #12 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappySabresFan

Jul 1, 2018
6d3bc5acbb85b0194f65598ad75fe33a

just replace phil kessel with olofsson

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Seems like Olofsson has been one of the best goal scorers in the league the whole year. By your definition what would one need to do to demonstrate he is too good for the A?
Do you think he’d be better served playing top minutes in the AHL or sitting in the press box in the NHL? Because CJ came up and only lasted two games (scored in one of them) before getting sat down. Same thing would happen with VO, it’s abundantly clear that Phil barely has any time for rookies. If he comes up to fill an injury slot, he’ll get better ice time than “he’s doing really well down there and we need to reward that.”

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
McDavid and Draisaitl are playing with Ty Rattie. In 33 games Rattie has 4 goals and 6 assists. Let's see if McDavid can turn this "scrub" into a 35 goal scorer. McDavid was playing with Chiasson, but they were so bad defensively they had to be split up.

It’s funny I knew the first reply would be “Ty Rattie” doesn’t have 30 goals. Patrick Maroon had 30.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Ideally using current lines....I would like to see Olafsson on the 2nd line with Mittelstadt and Reinhart ...scratching Sobotka...moving Sheary down with Rodrigues and Thompson. But thats just me

That way, when Mitts passes the puck when he’s in the slot, at least there’s a 50% chance he is passing to a guy with a better shot!

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Do you think he’d be better served playing top minutes in the AHL or sitting in the press box in the NHL? Because CJ came up and only lasted two games (scored in one of them) before getting sat down. Same thing would happen with VO, it’s abundantly clear that Phil barely has any time for rookies. If he comes up to fill an injury slot, he’ll get better ice time than “he’s doing really well down there and we need to reward that.”

I don’t believe in answering a question of a player’s readiness with an excuse that the coach would be too stupid to play him. My question is simple, what would a player need to do in your eyes to be too good for the A?

My point is Pilut was a beast in the A for two months, came up and has clearly been on of our top 4 defenders since he got here, despite the occasional horrific gaffe.

Olofsson was a beast in the same league as Dahlin and Pilut last year. He has been a beast in Rochester.

Let’s stop pretending he hasn’t shown to be good enough to get a long look in the nhl. Certainly he has shown more than Tage Thompson has over his last year and a half of hockey. Which is no complaint on Tage.

I’m sick of hearing excuses about Phil being a bad coach so it’s ok to make bad roster decisions. It’s on them both. It’s a joke that Erod sat over Thompson, Elie and Sobotka at all. It’s a joke that Smith has sat over Thompson and Elie after the first 15 games or so. In all honesty I’m going to be super pissed when/if they do call up Olofsson and he immediately makes an impact as one of the best shooters on the team.

I think there is a conservative argument to be made that just giving our youths a chance could very likely have us still in the playoffs. A few extra wins spread out over the season seems very doable when the spots bring up for grabs are 3 goal on pace for 7 points Sobotka, 7 goal on pace for 22 points Thompson and Elie’s corpse. Let alone Berglund’s useless offensive performance and rotating in and out Pominville after his hot run.

This season has been so dumb.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
It’s funny I knew the first reply would be “Ty Rattie” doesn’t have 30 goals. Patrick Maroon had 30.

There's no question that McDavid is a great player, but you downplay Eichel's effect on other players. Eichel turned Pominville into a serviceable player this year. I think he can have the same effect on Olofsson.

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
There's no question that McDavid is a great player, but you downplay Eichel's effect on other players. Eichel turned Pominville into a serviceable player this year. I think he can have the same effect on Olofsson.

Did he? Or did Pominville manage to stay hot for 15 games with Skinner and Jack both playing at career high levels? Because Eichel wasn’t able to keep Pominville alive this year or last.

McDavid does that for a whole season. It’s not a knock on Eichel. McDavid is just a pure freak for creating chances with his speed, hands and attacking style.

Of all the talk about best players in the league and McDavid not separating himself from Kucherov and others, McDavid has led the league or just off the pace, with an absolute trash supporting cast on the wings. Switch him for Kucherov and he might seriously touch 150.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Did he? Or did Pominville manage to stay hot for 15 games with Skinner and Jack both playing at career high levels? Because Eichel wasn’t able to keep Pominville alive this year or last.

McDavid does that for a whole season. It’s not a knock on Eichel. McDavid is just a pure freak for creating chances with his speed, hands and attacking style.

Of all the talk about best players in the league and McDavid not separating himself from Kucherov and others, McDavid has led the league or just off the pace, with an absolute trash supporting cast on the wings. Switch him for Kucherov and he might seriously touch 150.

Pominville was taken off of the top line for a good 25 games. How can Jack keep Pominville hot when Pominville was relegated to playing with Sobotka?

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
He is soon 24 years old. He cant stay in ahl forever because he is getting old and probably bolting back to sweden if he doesnt get a shot soon.

Reactions: SwedeDreams

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Pominville was taken off of the top line for a good 25 games. How can Jack keep Pominville hot when Pominville was relegated to playing with Sobotka?

He was taken off for a reason. He was doing nothing and not even cashing in on a few opportunities. Same as last year.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Sorry Casey, that rightwall spot is Olfossons

That’s the obvious spot for him. PK units will be focused on the four other guys on the top unit, which should give him plenty of opportunities to get off that laser of his.

Of course, that means Phil will put him on PP2, and probably on the LW half-wall.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
He is soon 24 years old. He cant stay in ahl forever because he is getting old and probably bolting back to sweden if he doesnt get a shot soon.
It was deemed he needed the year to acclimate to the North American game. This is his first season in North America. He'll be a staple on the Sabres roster next season to be sure.

Edit: And this is what I like about Jason Botterill as a General Manager. He was big on allowing the Penguins system develop guys, Buffalo needs that more than anything regardless of how this season goes. And he won't move any of the three 1st's he has in the 2019 draft, he fully realizes Olofsson is one of the answers the Sabres seek.

I project Olofsson on Mittelstadts or Eichel's wing, definitely a top 6'er. If with Jack I can see him net 40 goals a season given Jack's playmaking abilities.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
It was deemed he needed the year to acclimate to the North American game. This is his first season in North America. He'll be a staple on the Sabres roster next season to be sure.

Edit: And this is what I like about Jason Botterill as a General Manager. He was big on allowing the Penguins system develop guys, Buffalo needs that more than anything regardless of how this season goes. And he won't move any of the three 1st's he has in the 2019 draft, he fully realizes Olofsson is one of the answers the Sabres seek.

I project Olofsson on Mittelstadts or Eichel's wing, definitely a top 6'er. If with Jack I can see him net 40 goals a season given Jack's playmaking abilities.
I guess my problem with Botts is we need him NOW.He is 23 been AHL all year has produced he isn't 18.He is in the same situation as Pilut was we need secondary scoring.We don't need to trade lose assets nothing.Get his ass up waive Sobotka.And no don't wait to see if we can get a 5th or something stupid like that.We are in a playoff hunt get your best players in lineup.That last sentence shouldn't have to be made unless your a Buffalo Sabre fan SMH

Reactions: Vesperia

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
I guess my problem with Botts is we need him NOW.He is 23 been AHL all year has produced he isn't 18.He is in the same situation as Pilut was we need secondary scoring.We don't need to trade lose assets nothing.Get his ass up waive Sobotka.And no don't wait to see if we can get a 5th or something stupid like that.We are in a playoff hunt get your best players in lineup.That last sentence shouldn't have to be made unless your a Buffalo Sabre fan SMH
Not to mention he is on fire ATM.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
While I understand and empathize with needing him now, we have to remember, at least I do in any event, there is a balancing act going here in Buffalo with regards to making it a "hockey destination" for players. Yes, a winning roster is a part of that, but so to is commitments to players traded for, specifically veterans like Pominville and Hunwick. Sobotka I deem personally as a necessary evil given the shallowness of our center position currently.
Botterill got Pommers to get Scandella. He got Hunwick to get Sheary. No one is taking them in season, so Pommers goes to FA and Hunwick gets moved off season or stays the extra year as the 7th/8th d man.
The RW scenario, (Olofsson is a RW'er) has been getting clearer, with Reinhart and Okposo entrenched (we have to be prepared that Okposo is going nowhere for another season or2). Botterill dealt both Baptiste and Bailey, both predomanently RW'ers.

There is a clear picture being drawn for sure with every move Botterill makes. Olofsson up on the roster is definitely in that picture. Let's see what he can jettison at the deadline, if anything, before we commit to Olofsson in Rochester the entire season.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
While I understand and empathize with needing him now, we have to remember, at least I do in any event, there is a balancing act going here in Buffalo with regards to making it a "hockey destination" for players. Yes, a winning roster is a part of that, but so to is commitments to players traded for, specifically veterans like Pominville and Hunwick. Sobotka I deem personally as a necessary evil given the shallowness of our center position currently.
Botterill got Pommers to get Scandella. He got Hunwick to get Sheary. No one is taking them in season, so Pommers goes to FA and Hunwick gets moved off season or stays the extra year as the 7th/8th d man.
The RW scenario, (Olofsson is a RW'er) has been getting clearer, with Reinhart and Okposo entrenched (we have to be prepared that Okposo is going nowhere for another season or2). Botterill dealt both Baptiste and Bailey, both predomanently RW'ers.

There is a clear picture being drawn for sure with every move Botterill makes. Olofsson up on the roster is definitely in that picture. Let's see what he can jettison at the deadline, if anything, before we commit to Olofsson in Rochester the entire season.
That's where I disagree.You want to wait till deadline to see what botts is going to do.Botts by bringing up Olofsson needs to do nothing.By trading deadline he does nothing and we are say 8 points back do we bring Olofsson up by then? No! Keep him in Rochester.The only move I am saying is to waive Sobotka who plays 18 min a game and does nothing.He had his chance he gets waived.Poms and Huntwick stay

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Olofsson is not a RWer. He plays RW on the PP but he is a left wing.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
That's where I disagree.You want to wait till deadline to see what botts is going to do.Botts by bringing up Olofsson needs to do nothing.By trading deadline he does nothing and we are say 8 points back do we bring Olofsson up by then? No! Keep him in Rochester.The only move I am saying is to waive Sobotka who plays 18 min a game and does nothing.He had his chance he gets waived.Poms and Huntwick stay
I don't want to wait until the deadline, it's obviously what Botterill is doing, if that's his choice, it's his choice. If nothing happens and Olofsson stays in Rochester for an entire season for a playoff run, that to, is Botterill's choice. He's the GM, I'll defer to his decisions, after all, do I personally, have a choice :)
Olofsson is not a RWer. He plays RW on the PP but he is a left wing.
Got the AHLTV package Chain. Have seen roughly 25 games or so, admittedly he does spend time on the LW, but the games I've watched, on or off the PP, he's been slotted on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad