Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) – '18-19: Rochester #12 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Olofsson is more of a complimentary player. I'm not sure he's exactly what Buffalo needs right now. Call him up so he can watch Reinhart, Sheary and Mittelstadt fail to do anything? Plug him in with Sobotka and Okposo?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Olofsson is more of a complimentary player. I'm not sure he's exactly what Buffalo needs right now. Call him up so he can watch Reinhart, Sheary and Mittelstadt fail to do anything? Plug him in with Sobotka and Okposo?
Actually might play well with Reinhart. Reinhart can get people the puck. Also on the powerplay but who knows? Houlsey's player usage is terrible.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
He isn't a 20 year old playing his first season of pro hockey. Olafsson is already developed quite nicely

People still think of V.O. as a younger prospect for some reason. Forgetting that he was actually taken in Reinhart’s draft year.

He’s older than Eichel.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
People still think of V.O. as a younger prospect for some reason. Forgetting that he was actually taken in Reinhart’s draft year.

He’s older than Eichel.

Forget probability of this happening but if this guy turns into 35-40 goal scorer would it change view of Tim Murray at all?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
It won't really move the needle for me, because a 7th round choice doesn't display a lot of faith or confidence in a player. Better than unnoticed, I suppose.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Good point, he is bad now.

No, my point was just that he has been a developing prospect already for several years. He’s been a Sabres prospect longer than several players currently on our NHL roster.

At this point, he shouldn’t need multiple more years of development, as is seemingly desired by all the people calling to “slow-cook the kid.”

Reactions: sabremike

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
No, my point was just that he has been a developing prospect already for several years. He’s been a Sabres prospect longer than several players currently on our NHL roster.

At this point, he shouldn’t need multiple more years of development, as is seemingly desired by all the people calling to “slow-cook the kid.”

if he's slow cooked for too long, he will be UFA age before he gets a real stint with the team.

If a 22-23 year old needs time in the minors after many pro seasons, no reason to sign him. If he's not ready by that age, simply move on

Of course, that would be incredibly dumb in the case of Olafsson. He's more than ready. Waive one of the scrubs

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
It’s not slow cooking his general development, it’s letting him have more than 10 games to adjust to the smaller ice and quicker pace of the NA game. By accounts from people watching those Rochester games, he needs some more time. It’s not a knock on him, it’s just easier to work those kinks out in the AHL.

Reactions: SwedeDreams

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
if he's slow cooked for too long, he will be UFA age before he gets a real stint with the team.

If a 22-23 year old needs time in the minors after many pro seasons, no reason to sign him. If he's not ready by that age, simply move on

Of course, that would be incredibly dumb in the case of Olafsson. He's more than ready. Waive one of the scrubs

Not every player is the same. Some guys need more time than others. Sounds like you would have waived Martin St Louis, despite the flashes of potential.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Refined doesn’t necessarily mean Smith is more dangerous offensively. There’s more to playing the game than finding open space and firing a shot on net. Again, not saying Olofsson is one dimensional. He’s actually a really impressive passer. But Smith excels pretty much at everything.

I'll refine my quip. What's more refined then being in the spot to score goals while on offense? That's raison d'etre for being there.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Not every player is the same. Some guys need more time than others. Sounds like you would have waived Martin St Louis, despite the flashes of potential.
With very rare exceptions if a guy is kept in the AHL until their mid 20's they are very unlikely to amount to a good NHL player. People have done studies and reached the conclusion that a player's prime begins at age 22. If you have a guy past that age spending years in the AHL you are wasting prime years of their careers. And as was pointed out this is even worse in a cap league where you need players who are both young and cheap. Guys on ELC's who are good enough to play in the NHL should absolutely be on your NHL roster.

Reactions: MayDay

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

I don't think I've seen a single person say that Olofsson needs to spend multiple years in the AHL (or should even be in the AHL all year this year)

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
There are always improvements to be made to one's game, but I'd rather call up an offensively skilled player and have him learn secondary stuff here while potentially contributing more than Tage/Casey

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

He’s at about the age when most prospects from outside the first round start to transition to the NHL, so he’s not overly ripe either.

Last edited:

Castrophy

Feb 26, 2015
Oswego, NY
It's not like Olofsson is some kid. He's played pro for the last three years in Sweden, being a great playoff player, and leading the league in goals last year. He had 50 SHL games by the end of the 14-15 season. I think it was smart to start him in the AHL to see how he handled the adjustment to the North American game but after this start I see no reason why he shouldn't be getting his shot in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad