Value of: Victor Mete

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
What would the ask be from buffalo ? We need LHD

Spitballing here, does Colin Miller make sense for the Habs?

Both bottom pairing guys, Miller is older but flashed a higher ceiling in Vegas. Montreal needs RD, Buffalo needs LD. Montreal has cap space, Buffalo looking to cut salary.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Spitballing here, does Colin Miller make sense for the Habs?

Both bottom pairing guys, Miller is older but flashed a higher ceiling in Vegas. Montreal needs RD, Buffalo needs LD. Montreal has cap space, Buffalo looking to cut salary.
I was thinking this, but wanted to see how habs fans view mete. i think valuewise it's fair and it gives buffalo a chance to Actually play 3 steady pairings

Dahlin-Montour
Mccabe-Ristolanien
Mete-Jokiharu

Reactions: Shootica

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Hypothetically speaking if mete was traded in a package deal with domi , Struble and a first round pick for Laine , what are parameters of trying to resign Laine next year ? I know he’s due to make 7.5 million this year . Does that mean the minimum on any future deal has to be 7.5 plus 10% per year or something ?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hypothetically speaking if mete was traded in a package deal with domi , Struble and a first round pick for Laine , what are parameters of trying to resign Laine next year ? I know he’s due to make 7.5 million this year . Does that mean the minimum on any future deal has to be 7.5 plus 10% per year or something ?

Jets have zero need for Mete or any goalie prospect.....both add zero value to any offer to the Jets.

Reactions: Snowman

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Jost can play defence and scores twice the rate of Mete. Not close to being comparable. Mete is garbage.
It's generally pretty tough for a coach to fit a tiny LHD who doesn't put up many points into the team. Mete isn't physicaly big enough for a 3rd pairing PK role, nor does he put up a lot of points.

Conversely Jost is very reliable defensively and good on the forecheck, and so whilst he might underwhelm you offensively he's at least decidedly still useful in a bottom 6 role as a defensively responsible forward.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

WPG needs DMen, prospects and/or high picks. Domi is not enough, Mete is garbage cap dump and need more than a 1st.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
It's generally pretty tough for a coach to fit a tiny LHD who doesn't put up many points into the team. Mete isn't physicaly big enough for a 3rd pairing PK role, nor does he put up a lot of points.

Conversely Jost is very reliable defensively and good on the forecheck, and so whilst he might underwhelm you offensively he's at least decidedly still useful in a bottom 6 role as a defensively responsible forward.

Small DMen are normally good skaters, excellent passers and strong defensively with the stick. Mete is neither. Slow skater, cannot play Defensively and nearly zero Offensively. He shouldn’t be in the much faster NHL.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Jets have zero need for Mete or any goalie prospect.....both add zero value to any offer to the Jets.
Lol I didn’t offer you a goalie prospect . I just wanna know what the deal would have to look like in extending Laine ?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
WPG needs DMen, prospects and/or high picks. Domi is not enough, Mete is garbage cap dump and need more than a 1st.
Ok What would be the minimum it would take to extend Laine based on his 7.5 million dollar salary this year ?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Lol I didn’t offer you a goalie prospect . I just wanna know what the deal would have to look like in extending Laine ?

This is a Mete thread, not a Laine thread. But you’re looking at likely 8.5 - 9.5 per year cap hit over a 5-6 year deal IMO.

I miss read Struble, he adds no value either, Jets have multi prospects as good or better on D then him.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Keep him. Mete is limited due to his size, but Montreal needs puck movement from D and he's fantastic at that. He's also only 22.

Reactions: sansabri

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
This is a Mete thread, not a Laine thread. But you’re looking at likely 8.5 - 9.5 per year cap hit over a 5-6 year deal IMO.

I miss read Struble, he adds no value either, Jets have multi prospects as good or better on D then him.
Well thank you I assume any talk of Laine is a touchy subject with you folks Good luck with him

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Small DMen are normally good skaters, excellent passers and strong defensively with the stick. Mete is neither. Slow skater, cannot play Defensively and nearly zero Offensively. He shouldn’t be in the much faster NHL.
Slow skater? He's not a rocket like McDavid but he's not slow at all.
Cannot play defensively? Why does he have such strong defensive metrics, then?
Nearly zero offensively? Sure, he doesn't put up a lot of point (which most d-men in the entire league won't when not playing on the PP and with limited ice time), but he's one of the best players in the league in transition.

I think you are confusing Mete with Cale Fleury.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Ok What would be the minimum it would take to extend Laine based on his 7.5 million dollar salary this year ?

Mete has a negative value for WPG that plays in a division with the strongest group of DMen in the league. Laine would require at least KK + 1st. Adding Mete you'll need to include a 2nd.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

What?

Mete is absolutely not a slow skater. He's one of the most effective transition D in the NHL. His biggest issues defensively is that he struggles with zone entries against and he can't box out opponents in close, which is something all undersized D struggle with.

Last edited:
Reactions: malcb33

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
1000% categorically wrong. and this ignorant take, invalidates most of your opinions in here, because you clearly haven't watched him

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Slow skater? He's not a rocket like McDavid but he's not slow at all.
Cannot play defensively? Why does he have such strong defensive metrics, then?
Nearly zero offensively? Sure, he doesn't put up a lot of point (which most d-men in the entire league won't when not playing on the PP and with limited ice time), but he's one of the best players in the league in transition.

I think you are confusing Mete with Cale Fleury.
he's an elite skater. No one is McDavid.

Reactions: Kairi Zaide

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Jost can play defence and scores twice the rate of Mete. Not close to being comparable. Mete is garbage.
As much as I agree with you, saying that Jost scores at twice the rate really isn't saying much.
He can skate well though, and move the puck. That's it though. I was scolded last year when I said he had no offensive upside because of his lack of awareness, and shot. Was told he was going to "break-out" this year. Always in the right position & had a good stick. He made Weber look good, etc, blah-blah-blah. He is nowhere near Ellis, and if they could get a 6th or 7th round pick they should just take it.

Reactions: Patagonia

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
LOL :facepalm: love jumping on HF in the morning,i know ill always get a good laugh

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Well thank you I assume any talk of Laine is a touchy subject with you folks Good luck with him

Talk as much as you like about Laine, just make sure it’s appropriate for the thread. If your intending to include Mete in a Laine package then it’s on topic here but going into a long discussion about Laine or his contract in a Mete thread would be OT.

Reactions: Patagonia

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That's a bit unfair to Ouellet since he was the best player of the 2 during the playoffs. And it made us all realize that Mete doesn't bring much to a hockey team.

A def of his size cannot win most battles in the corner. He cannot clean the front of the net. He cannot intimidate with toughness and body checks. So he needs to bring something else, preferably offense. But despite being fast, having ok hands and working hard, he just doesn't put any number on the board. So what is he? What does he bring. That question to me is still unanswered.

At this point in his career, he's basically a Francis Bouillon, without the toughness. I don't mind him as a 6th or 7th defenseman because he doesn't hurt the team. And he might still have room to grow. But if he reached his peak already, then he's an easy player to replace.

Mete was playing his off side though, put him at LD and Ouellet at RD and we'll see how that would have went. Mete was also coming off an injury I believe it was his ankle. Mete was 4th on the team in points for a defensemen in his age 21 season, so while it' possible he's peaked at 21, it's also possible that he can still get better.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
As much as I agree with you, saying that Jost scores at twice the rate really isn't saying much.
He can skate well though, and move the puck. That's it though. I was scolded last year when I said he had no offensive upside because of his lack of awareness, and shot. Was told he was going to "break-out" this year. Always in the right position & had a good stick. He made Weber look good, etc, blah-blah-blah. He is nowhere near Ellis, and if they could get a 6th or 7th round pick they should just take it.

Habs are weakest at LHD and likely the reason MB stayed to watch 2 AVS back to back games during the season. Rumoured was interest in either excess LHDs Graves or Zadorov. Mete - LHD struggling to find a role at the weakest team position and interest in an upgrade confirms the limited upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad