Value of: Victor Mete

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Amazing how he’s suddenly crap. He was a steal at 100 OA. He still has lots of potential but needs to be paired with a shutdown partner. He’s a Terrific skater. Lights out. If he had already developed his shot, he’d be untouchable. He’s not in his chair as a bottom pairing D, but there’s no room for him - especially with better options coming like romanov and fleury. Habs D is not as bad as people claim. Their bottom 3 has issues. This kid is 22. He has room to grow. Habs shouldn’t be giving him away

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What would the ask be from buffalo ? We need LHD

the problem is we don't know what our GM is doing from year to year. Last summer our owner told fans it could take up to 8 years to rebuild, then this off-season he said the rebuild is over. So last year our GM said we are building through the draft, loading up on picks and prospects. He said he wouldn't trade any of our top prospects. So now has that changed or with moves like Allen, Edmundson, is he just trying to improve the roster without spending too much while we wait for the youth movement that hopefully comes.

I don't know if they will trade Mete or not, I think he's better then Kulak who I was never sold on and if he's in our top 4 then our D is weak. Trading him to a rival would be a bad idea imo. I assume if they are trying to win now then trading Mete in a package with Danault or Domi to get said top LD (not saying just those 2 alone) does make more sense.

That said if they were going to move Mete to the sabers I do recall liking Bryson this past season when facing Laval and I know he was good in the NCAA but of course would need something added.

Reactions: Gravity

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Mete isnt useful in montreal. Personally, i am not a fan of Mete at all. Yes his fancy stats are ok and yes he is still young and yes he will improve- but its not anything to write home about.

This is another R.Diaz case, imo. He will end up being a very solid bottom pair Dman. Unfortunately, we have others to fill that hole and with the make up of our team, can benefit from icing a bigger dman.

Best case scenario, he is traded for a winger with equal value 1 for 1. Odds are he gets thrown into a package, traded for a pick or picked up in the expansion draft.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mete is probably the most underappreciated habs. People tend to forget Dman are often not in the AHL at his age. he's got some realy good underlying stats, he's got quick transitions, covers alot of ice and a great active work in the Dzone, but your average fan can't see past their nose. it's gonna be funny when he gets traded and all of sudden some habs fan will cry and wonder Hey a 22 year old Dman can have a second gear? who would of thought.

As I answered you elsewhere where you made the same or a similar post, if he's as good as you say, sell him on spec. He doesn't need to be given away, just establish a fair market value and use those underlying abilities as selling points.

Reactions: Archijerej

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Mete isnt useful in montreal. Personally, i am not a fan of Mete at all. Yes his fancy stats are ok and yes he is still young and yes he will improve- but its not anything to write home about.

This is another R.Diaz case, imo. He will end up being a very solid bottom pair Dman. Unfortunately, we have others to fill that hole and with the make up of our team, can benefit from icing a bigger dman.

Best case scenario, he is traded for a winger with equal value 1 for 1. Odds are he gets thrown into a package, traded for a pick or picked up in the expansion draft.

What fancy stats? He needed 2.5 seasons to score his first goal. His best season was 13 points. Too small to play defence and can’t score offensively.

He should be in the AHL.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If the thread on the Montreal board about him is to believed, he doesn't hold much value.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The main misconception about Mete is that he was NEVER an offensive defenceman. He doesn't have the shot, he doesn't have the hands and he skates in straight lines with the puck. He's not elusive enough to create offense. He also doesn't have the vision to make up for this with his passing.

His selling point was always his defensive game and the ability to move the puck up ice. If everything goes well he'll develop into a solid even strength defenceman, either on the second, or third pairing. He will kill plays early, defend rushes well and struggle against the cycle and in front of the net. Offensively, he'll get 5 goals from backdoor plays and shots off the rush from close range, and 20 assist, mostly secondary.

He needs the right environment and system to take advantage of his strengths.

I'm not sure what the Habs are to do with him. He's not a lost cause, but he's being outplayed by other players. Assuming we sign Edmundson and none of our LHD plays on his off-side next season our LD depth chart appears to be: Chiarot, Edmundson, Romanov, Kulak, Mete.

Maybe we should trade Kulak instead?

Reactions: Runner77

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Hab fans are the most bi-polar sports fans i've ever seen. Mete struggled in the playoffs playing his off-side and with an AHLer in Ouellet as his partner. It wasn't pretty, so now he sucks and is worthless, guess we'll see what the Habs plans are for him. I tend not to listen to most Hab fans, especially when it comes to trade suggestions on this board.

That's a bit unfair to Ouellet since he was the best player of the 2 during the playoffs. And it made us all realize that Mete doesn't bring much to a hockey team.

A def of his size cannot win most battles in the corner. He cannot clean the front of the net. He cannot intimidate with toughness and body checks. So he needs to bring something else, preferably offense. But despite being fast, having ok hands and working hard, he just doesn't put any number on the board. So what is he? What does he bring. That question to me is still unanswered.

At this point in his career, he's basically a Francis Bouillon, without the toughness. I don't mind him as a 6th or 7th defenseman because he doesn't hurt the team. And he might still have room to grow. But if he reached his peak already, then he's an easy player to replace.

Reactions: schnapshot

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I've always thought his ceiling was a Ryan Ellis type. If he could put it all together, he'd punch above his weight class and be a competent top four defender capable of playing multiple roles. Ellis was 23 before he established himself, and 25 before he became a real fixture imo.

Right now, Mete's biggest problem is his remarkably weak shot. If he's going to develop any real level of offense at this level, he's going to have to improve it.

He's an RFA with cost certainty and control for a while. UFA Edmundson garnered a 5th. Joel is a better player - right now. Cost controlled Mete is likely worth a 5th by himself. He might be worth more in a package.

Mete has nowhere near the offensive potential to be a Ryan Ellis. He's more like a Jared Spurgeon if everything goes right for him but I wouldn't count on it considering how this organization is treating him. They don't seem to have a coherent plan for Mete.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
The main misconception about Mete is that he was NEVER an offensive defenceman. He doesn't have the shot, he doesn't have the hands and he skates in straight lines with the puck. He's not elusive enough to create offense. He also doesn't have the vision to make up for this with his passing.

His selling point was always his defensive game and the ability to move the puck up ice. If everything goes well he'll develop into a solid even strength defenceman, either on the second, or third pairing. He will kill plays early, defend rushes well and struggle against the cycle and in front of the net. Offensively, he'll get 5 goals from backdoor plays and shots off the rush from close range, and 20 assist, mostly secondary.

He needs the right environment and system to take advantage of his strengths.

I'm not sure what the Habs are to do with him. He's not a lost cause, but he's being outplayed by other players. Assuming we sign Edmundson and none of our LHD plays on his off-side next season our LD depth chart appears to be: Chiarot, Edmundson, Romanov, Kulak, Mete.

Maybe we should trade Kulak instead?

You make a good description of his game, but how many 5'9" defensive D are there in the NHL? Kris Russell is the only one I can find, but he's taller than Mete.

So Mete would be the only small defensive D around the league. And that's for a good reason. Coaches would rather have a taller, bigger and tougher D to play that role, so they can win puck battle, clean the front of the net, etc.

He's really not the ideal defensive D. And if he doesn't add more offense to his game, he'll fight for a spot in the NHL every year.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
You make a good description of his game, but how many 5'9" defensive D are there in the NHL? Kris Russell is the only one I can find, but he's taller than Mete.

So Mete would be the only small defensive D around the league. And that's for a good reason. Coaches would rather have a taller, bigger and tougher D to play that role, so they can win puck battle, clean the front of the net, etc.

He's really not the ideal defensive D. And if he doesn't add more offense to his game, he'll fight for a spot in the NHL every year.

Spurgeon (and he's a really good one)

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I don't think he's a defensive defenceman either. He's a two-way D that has the potential to be decent defensively (above average in some aspects, below average in other) and good in transition.

I agree he's somewhat of a unicorn.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Samuel Girard is similar physically, but Mete is heavier. Significant difference is the AV can play offense and defence, while being a much better skater.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What fancy stats? He needed 2.5 seasons to score his first goal. His best season was 13 points. Too small to play defence and can’t score offensively.

He should be in the AHL.

He is the Tyson Jost of dmen but with speed.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Mete has nowhere near the offensive potential to be a Ryan Ellis. He's more like a Jared Spurgeon if everything goes right for him but I wouldn't count on it considering how this organization is treating him. They don't seem to have a coherent plan for Mete.

Let's be real here. Ellis is a 30 point player. He's not an elite offensive defender. If guys like Edmundson and Chiarot can get 20 points, and Mete can get 4 goals and 11 points in 51 games with "no coherent plan", then ascending to 30 points with a coherent plan and added maturity isn't a reach. After all, I said it was his ceiling.

If you look at their junior careers, the impact they had on the national jr team, and how it didn't translate right away to the NHL, there are a lot of parallels.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Let's be real here. Ellis is a 30 point player. He's not an elite offensive defender. If guys like Edmundson and Chiarot can get 20 points, and Mete can get 4 goals and 11 points in 51 games with "no coherent plan", the
n ascending to 30 points with a coherent plan and added maturity isn't a reach. After all, I said it was his ceiling.

If you look at their junior careers, the impact they had on the national jr team, and how it didn't translate right away to the NHL, there are a lot of parallels.

Ellis is most certainly not a 30 point player. He just scored 38 points in 49 games this past year and was an offensive juggernaut in junior. Mete's defense is more advanced than Ellis' was at the same age but Mete has never matched his offense and does not have the tools or the toolbox to do so.

Reactions: habsfan92

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would the ask be from buffalo ? We need LHD

Another 22 year old ish that has played in the NHL and was WJC type talent. Struggling young talent for struggling young talent. Habs moving Mete for a 3rd or 4th is not worth it for us. We are loaded with grade B prospects and picks. That don't help us.

As Habs fan, I keep going up/down with Mete. He has moments of brilliance and then disappears. Great puck mover and elite level skating but fighting the consistency part of playing D in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->