Value of: Victor Mete

xFRaNK

Jun 16, 2018
What do you think his value is, and what would your team be willing to spend for him.

Since MB traded for UFA Rights of Edmundson, If we sign him, I believe Mete can be moved since we would have Chiarot, edmundson, kulak, Romanov and some good prospect for LHD for the future and the right side we have Weber, Petry, Fleury and Juulsen.

In my book, Mete's a 2nd pair guy in a weak LHD team or in need of puck moving D or a 3rd pair guy in most other teams.
Pros : really great skating ability, above average vision and hockey sense, good stick, 22 YO RFA who will resign for cheap aroung 2 mil per probably
Cons: Not physical, small body, weak shot

Montreal would probably like a RHD prospect, a change of scenary soon to be bust prospect with potential (juolevi like) or a top 6 RW if we bundle Mete with something, like the 16OA, a good prospect, or a roster player.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Probably a 4th round pick. I think the Habs hold onto all their dmen. With the upcoming season being compressed with lots of back-to-backs, i see them platooning 8D with rests to d-pairings on back-to-backs. I foresee a lot of injury concerns because of the schedule and lack of rest for all teams.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I remember Canadian fans having a hard time putting mete in a trade for Fowler, what happened

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I remember Canadian fans having a hard time putting mete in a trade for Fowler, what happened

Hab fans are the most bi-polar sports fans i've ever seen. Mete struggled in the playoffs playing his off-side and with an AHLer in Ouellet as his partner. It wasn't pretty, so now he sucks and is worthless, guess we'll see what the Habs plans are for him. I tend not to listen to most Hab fans, especially when it comes to trade suggestions on this board.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Mete is probably the most underappreciated habs. People tend to forget Dman are often not in the AHL at his age. he's got some realy good underlying stats, he's got quick transitions, covers alot of ice and a great active work in the Dzone, but your average fan can't see past their nose. it's gonna be funny when he gets traded and all of sudden some habs fan will cry and wonder Hey a 22 year old Dman can have a second gear? who would of thought.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
from his age 19 to age 21 seasons he's improved his ppg a little every year going from .14 to .18 to .22 so at 22 will he continue to improve or has he reached his peak?

He might get to what he was projected to be, but that's still kinda low.

I assume most expected him to start putting up around 35-40 points a season, not 20-25.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He might get to what he was projected to be, but that's still kinda low.

I assume most expected him to start putting up around 35-40 points a season, not 20-25.

I don't see why they would expect that though, for a 4th round pick, when has he ever really put up big numbers on offense outside of his D+1 season and that was on a very good London Knights team.

He was rushed to the NHL like most prospects under MB, had he gone the usual route he would have been in the OHL at 19, the AHL at 20 and maybe split time between the AHL and NHL this past season. Next year maybe he could have been a full timer though he wouldn't have needed waivers so they could have sent him down. Instead he's now got over 170 NHL games after 3 years in the NHL, he's improved his offense at age when most D prospects are not full time NHLers outside the top 10 picks or so.

So it's a question of can he continue to progress, seeing how he is a couple years away from hitting his prime, or has he just peaked at 21. I tend to think he will get better, I don't know if he can put up 30 points or not in the future but it's not like the Habs are going anywhere so why not see if it happens vs trying to hope they get a wild card spot with Kulak who at 25 had a season of just 7 pts and has 1 season in his career over 8 pts.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Hab fans are the most bi-polar sports fans i've ever seen. Mete struggled in the playoffs playing his off-side and with an AHLer in Ouellet as his partner. It wasn't pretty, so now he sucks and is worthless, guess we'll see what the Habs plans are for him. I tend not to listen to most Hab fans, especially when it comes to trade suggestions on this board.
They would be bipolar if we were dealing with a single individual. However, it is a population, where there are often two, if not three, dominant modes within that distribution (think of a histogram with several peaks), which is a healthy level of disagreement. I'd rather have that than a tendency to aggregate on a single mode. Several modes or poles seem dire if dealing with a single individual (hence the pejorative "bipolar"), but a healthy trend for population. I would worry about my contrarian circuitry if I agreed on everything with all of the posters here :skeptic:; some overlap now and then I can tolerate.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Is mete good defensively ?

He's okay, he is actually better in the defensive zone than the offensive zone which you wouldn't believe casting a quick glance. Superb skating and a surprisingly good stick allows him to defend pretty well despite his lack of strength.

I think Mete's value is tough to measure in a trade. He is still young. Perhaps a 2nd.

Reactions: A Loyal Hot Dog

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I've always thought his ceiling was a Ryan Ellis type. If he could put it all together, he'd punch above his weight class and be a competent top four defender capable of playing multiple roles. Ellis was 23 before he established himself, and 25 before he became a real fixture imo.

Right now, Mete's biggest problem is his remarkably weak shot. If he's going to develop any real level of offense at this level, he's going to have to improve it.

He's an RFA with cost certainty and control for a while. UFA Edmundson garnered a 5th. Joel is a better player - right now. Cost controlled Mete is likely worth a 5th by himself. He might be worth more in a package.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I would keep him and trade chiarot. Mete is better he was very good with Weber last year and was not awful this year even though he was bounced back from line to line. At 22, 2 NHL season is not bad.

I agree with other fans that he holds little trade value right now so not interested at all to trade him for scraps.

Reactions: HOPE

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I would keep him and trade chiarot. Mete is better he was very good with Weber last year and was not awful this year even though he was bounced back from line to line. At 22, 2 NHL season is not bad.

I agree with other fans that he holds little trade value right now so not interested at all to trade him for scraps.
Bergevin wants a defense that will be physically feared by other teams lol. Mete fears absolutely no one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->