Player Discussion Victor Mete

The best thing to do for his development?

• Bring him to London

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Bring him back with the first team

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Is he, or is he not starting tonight's game as our #1C?

You may be skeptical on his ability to maintain that position, but I'm not. In fact, when he acquired him, I remember asking if he had perhaps solve that problem unknowingly.

I'm confident enough in Drouin to state that this post you just made, will be funny to look at in a few weeks.

He could start as our 1C for the next 20-30 games and it still wouldn't be a guarantee he's officially a 1C. Desharnais and Danault also lined up as 1C's, just lining up as one doesn't mean he is one, yet.

Maybe he does turn out a capable 1C, I sure as hell hope so. For now its way premature to claim he's already there. Like you said, let's wait a few weeks before we sound the trumpets.

Last edited:

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Not that it matters, but since it's been brought up, Mete was born to parents of Italian heritage who themselves were born in Ontario, whose family roots originate from Calabria -- the whole as confirmed by his mother interviewed by Marinaro this morning.

I think it's kind of interesting. I googled it and "Mete" as a given name is often of Turkish origin but "Mete" as a surname is European (lots of places including as you say Italy). And we all know that the internet is never wrong.

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
I would refer to himself over the internet, and he claims he is of Italian descent (See his Instagram profile) and as others have posted the Marinaro interview.
I think it's kind of interesting. I googled it and "Mete" as a given name is often of Turkish origin but "Mete" as a surname is European (lots of places including as you say Italy). And we all know that the internet is never wrong.
ea

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He could start as our 1C for the next 20-30 games and it still wouldn't be a guarantee he's officially a 1C. Desharnais and Danault also lined up as 1C's, just lining up as one doesn't mean he is one, yet.

Maybe he does turn out a capable 1C, I sure as hell hope so. For now its way premature to claim he's already there. Like you said, let's wait a few weeks before we sound the trumpets.
Premature for you maybe...not me

and LMAO @ comparing his situation with Danault or Desharnais.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Meat is ready as F***

[tweet]

Where's the meat, though? These partial twitter renditions are cutting everything down to an irritating size (notice how quoting your twitter post has earned your image a further 50% reduction), kinda removes the intended impact. I hope they do something about it. I've brought it up in the HF changes thread. Feel free to do the same if you find it annoying.

Reactions: Deebs

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Premature for you maybe...not me

and LMAO @ comparing his situation with Danault or Desharnais.
Comparison goes for anyone who hasn't played a single game at center in the pros. Hell Galchenyuk has "started" a certain amount of games as our 1C. Is he one?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Where's the meat, though? These partial twitter renditions are cutting everything down to an irritating size (notice how quoting your twitter post has earned your image a further 50% reduction), kinda removes the intended impact. I hope they do something about it. I've brought it up in the HF changes thread. Feel free to do the same if you find it annoying.

Where's that that thread because yeah, they need to fix it

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Comparison goes for anyone who hasn't played a single game at center in the pros. Hell Galchenyuk has "started" a certain amount of games as our 1C. Is he one?
Like I said...you want to be skeptical?

That's fine

I'm not.

Regardless, this has nothing to do with Victor Mete...so i'll stop contributing to the hi-jacking of this thread.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
As I said in the PGT Mete is my new favorite Habs player! Not even kidding.

I really liked how Julien handled his minutes.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
He wasn’t that good that tonight as he looked nervous but for a first game it passes

Want to see how he shoots

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Mete has both British and Turkish roots, but given the idea that we were discussing other mediterranean nations before Turkish seems very likely.
Both his parents are of Italien decent FYI. Of course its very early,need to see him in a few more games,but he does look NHL ready right now. Can see Streit going down once Slemko is ready,Jerabek also should be brought up pretty soon also.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I'm going to be patient in annointing him a #1 C as well but you can't compare him to Desharnais and Danault. He looks comfortable at C. Doesn't look lost. Doesn't seem to under cut his talents. Seen this in preseason, seen it last night. I'm feeling pretty confident right now but again things can change.

As I said in the PGT Mete is my new favorite Habs player! Not even kidding.

I really liked how Julien handled his minutes.

Love watching him carry the puck. Can't believe how good he's been. Absolute gem.

He wasn’t that good that tonight as he looked nervous but for a first game it passes

Want to see how he shoots

I thought he looked solid. I was impressed. Much better than Sergachev looked last year so far. Just haven't seen him make any bad mistakes which is huge. His skating is just phenomenal.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
played really well and did not look out of place. This weekend is a huge test for him, back to back games against 2 solid teams

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I was impressed with his game last. Will be nice to see him get a bit more comfortable and CJ give him the green light to join the rush once in a while. He played on shift late in the third with streit, after a Benn - Weber shift, where he joined the rush and was still the first d-man back.

As to the 9 games, as long as Streit is still playing Mete won't be going anywhere. Streit looked old and slow. No disrespect intended, but we used to have an old half blind dog who could barely find his food dish anymore- at points last night Streit looked just as lost.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I'm going to be patient in annointing him a #1 C as well but you can't compare him to Desharnais and Danault. He looks comfortable at C. Doesn't look lost. Doesn't seem to under cut his talents. Seen this in preseason, seen it last night. I'm feeling pretty confident right now but again things can change.
These just happen to be players on our team. Doesn't really matter who it is, the point was the logic that a player only has to "start" the game as our 1C is reason enough to say he is one already is completely short-sighted. I could've used anyone as an example, like Kessel when Leafs tried him at C or the Oilers with Hall, it doesn't matter what name is on the back of the jersey, its poor reasoning to say they must be one since they lined up there for the game. It'd be a better argument if his defensive play or good positioning were brought up.

So far its looking promising, that was never my problem, I'm just preaching patience before we anoint him as one. Just like we should be patient if he stumbles along the way.

As for Mete, there was alot of factors that could've made this a rough game for him. But he seemed more confident and looked better as the game went on. Refreshing to see Julien wasn't scared to give him alot of minutes.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I remember a shift yesterday where he pinched deep and was back in the neutral zone seconds later because of his skating.

If he does make mistakes (which he will), his speed allows him to recover quickly. He looked a bit nervous yesterday but that is to be expected. I'd like to see him on the second powerplay.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
This guy must spend the full year with the team. He offers something no other Ds do. And while I may sound like a broken record, he's not going to take his game to the next level in the OHL. His speed will make it impossible for him to look bad and bring adjustments to his positionning back there.

Being mentored by Weber, coached by Julien, and used in accurate situations to allow him to progress is where he should be.

If you saw bad things in his game yesterday, you're overanalyzing it.

Reactions: HankyZetts

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
These just happen to be players on our team. Doesn't really matter who it is, the point was the logic that a player only has to "start" the game as our 1C is reason enough to say he is one already is completely short-sighted. I could've used anyone as an example, like Kessel when Leafs tried him at C or the Oilers with Hall, it doesn't matter what name is on the back of the jersey, its poor reasoning to say they must be one since they lined up there for the game. It'd be a better argument if his defensive play or good positioning were brought up.

So far its looking promising, that was never my problem, I'm just preaching patience before we anoint him as one. Just like we should be patient if he stumbles along the way.

As for Mete, there was alot of factors that could've made this a rough game for him. But he seemed more confident and looked better as the game went on. Refreshing to see Julien wasn't scared to give him alot of minutes.

I didn't know anyone was doing that. I thought they were actually basing it on what they've seen from him so far.

Yup so far Drouin looks really good but I'm gonna be patient. WAY more confident that he can be a #1 now though then a few months ago. I thought it was a real long shot. Now starting to look like a very good possibility.

Can't believe how good Mete looked for a first game. I know we're preaching patience but he's looking like a future star back there. Him making the team at this age would be a feat but he actually looks like he can be a factor out there sooner than later.

Reactions: G0bias
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad