Player Discussion Victor Mete

The best thing to do for his development?

• Bring him to London

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Bring him back with the first team

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Who cares what his roots are. He's Canadian & a great hockey player.

Reactions: Runner77

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'm the first one to say to get a guy back in Juniors when he's not ready. To me Sergachev wouldn't even have gotten a 9 games tryout last season. But for reasons I already explained this guy is NHL ready. The concerns about him are ridiculous. He's not going to improve anything in the OHL. Not his decision-making, not his quickness, not his positionning or stick work (since he can get away with outskating guys anyway, he won't be pressured into improving these areas). His assets and qualities make it so that the next step he can take is in the Pros. Not in London.

Reactions: McTusk

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think he's very fortunate to play with Weber. Mete needs a guy who can be the defensive presence on the ice (to allow him to rush and take chances offensively), and he needs a guy who can protect him and allow him to play his game, as well as a guy who has a high IQ to make the smart plays to avoid him having to take unnecessary shots. Not to mention the heavy shot to draw coverage in the o-zone and be fed his passes.

Not many players fit all that criteria. They really are a match made in heaven.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Cool thanks. Did not hear anything regarding this and was hoping the Habs do involve vets going forward with these younger players

I heard Marinaro talk about just that this morning. Sure, let Mete stay with a veteran, but first ... let him get those 9 games under his belt and then he'll know if he really needs a place to stay.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
I'm the first one to say to get a guy back in Juniors when he's not ready. To me Sergachev wouldn't even have gotten a 9 games tryout last season. But for reasons I already explained this guy is NHL ready. The concerns about him are ridiculous. He's not going to improve anything in the OHL. Not his decision-making, not his quickness, not his positionning or stick work (since he can get away with outskating guys anyway, he won't be pressured into improving these areas). His assets and qualities make it so that the next step he can take is in the Pros. Not in London.
Totally agree with you, he is ready.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I think he's very fortunate to play with Weber. Mete needs a guy who can be the defensive presence on the ice (to allow him to rush and take chances offensively), and he needs a guy who can protect him and allow him to play his game, as well as a guy who has a high IQ to make the smart plays to avoid him having to take unnecessary shots. Not to mention the heavy shot to draw coverage in the o-zone and be fed his passes.

Not many players fit all that criteria. They really are a match made in heaven.
Last game he didn't play with Weber but still played well so i wouldn't really attribute Mete's showing to Weber.

The real test will come with the regular season when NHLers show up to the games.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Claude Julien saying he's planning on keeping Mete with the team for the whole year just made me more excited for this season. Even if he struggle, and that he's probably gonna spend a few games in the pressbox, it will be a good learning experience for him.

Him starting the season with Weber is just gravy.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well no shit they plan to keep him for the whole season. Having Davidson/Streit in your top 4 is suicide.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
You obviously don't care and you didn't ask. I did care and I asked about the name and not the player. I hope I didn't disturb your world with my question. It seemed like you took it personally.

Swear Mete was Turkish. He looks like he could be of Turkish descent.

Edit: Just looked it up and it seems like it's very likely he's of Turkish descent

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Totally agree with you, he is ready.

My only concern would be upper body build. I hope he don't hurt his shoulder when one of the big boys put him up against the boards. He's going to escape pressure most times but it's bound to happen from time to time.

As far as skills set, skating, and vision. I totally agree! He's ready

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Claude Julien saying he's planning on keeping Mete with the team for the whole year just made me more excited for this season. Even if he struggle, and that he's probably gonna spend a few games in the pressbox, it will be a good learning experience for him.

Him starting the season with Weber is just gravy.

What a surprise eh! I've been saying all summer that the Bergevin prospects are going to push for spots in our line-up. With all those 23 top 100 picks over the last 6 drafts, it's bound to happen!

People said I'm too high on picks and we had a similar situation in 2012 when Bergevin took the GM job. This year we have 3 prospects crack our line-up. That is a huge change in direction for us considering we only had 2 players become NHL players from 2008-2011!

2008-2011: 8 top 100 picks (average of 2 per year)

2012-2017: 23 top 100 picks (average of 3.83 per year)

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Swear Mete was Turkish. He looks like he could be of Turkish descent.

Edit: Just looked it up and it seems like it's very likely he's of Turkish descent

Mete has both British and Turkish roots, but given the idea that we were discussing other mediterranean nations before Turkish seems very likely.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm stoked about Victor Meaty. Haven't been stoked about a habs D prospect since you-know-who.

Excited of seeing him, Drew and Hudon show what they've got. I still think Bergevin is out of pace and just got lucky with Meaty.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm stoked about Victor Meaty. Haven't been stoked about a habs D prospect since you-know-who.

Excited of seeing him, Drew and Hudon show what they've got. I still think Bergevin is out of pace and just got lucky with Meaty.

He also probably got lucky he landed a #1C in Drouin too...

Luck is a big part of any GM's resume

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I'm starting to temper my excitement for Mete as I often forget he's 19 and is bound to make numerous errors throughout the season or however long he stays up, if that's the case. He's going to be in tough going against the oppositions 1st line all the time, but I think if he can just keep it cool and play positionally sound, he'll be able to weather that storm in his own end. Offensively, I don't have any issues or worries.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
He also probably got lucky he landed a #1C in Drouin too...

Luck is a big part of any GM's resume

Damn he's already crowned a #1C with 0 games played. Has to be some new record.

How lucky are we?:sarcasm:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Damn he's already crowned a #1C with 0 games played. Has to be some new record.

How lucky are we?:sarcasm:
Is he, or is he not starting tonight's game as our #1C?

You may be skeptical on his ability to maintain that position, but I'm not. In fact, when he acquired him, I remember asking if he had perhaps solve that problem unknowingly.

I'm confident enough in Drouin to state that this post you just made, will be funny to look at in a few weeks.

Reactions: Belial

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
This is something the organization can't screw up and will simply have to live with his mistakes. I'm confident he'll pull through, he's got too much talent and smarts not to.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mete has both British and Turkish roots, but given the idea that we were discussing other mediterranean nations before Turkish seems very likely.

Not that it matters, but since it's been brought up, Mete was born to parents of Italian heritage who themselves were born in Ontario, whose family roots originate from Calabria -- the whole as confirmed by his mother interviewed by Marinaro this morning.

Reactions: Sand94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad