Player Discussion: Victor Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What the hell, I live literally no more than 200 meters away from there and had no clue Hedman or all those guys were around last weekend. It's not like I could've knocked on the church doors and asked for autographs, but still.

I was at work all weekend last week, McJesus and all the Oilers were staying right next door for Eberle's wedding. Same thing, found out after it happened.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Always interesting to see the more human face to some of this stuff. As in, it's easy for us to see, and complain about, Matt Carle's performance, and Anders Lindback, etc, and (ugh...) Teddy Purcell, but when the player is popular with his teammates, it probably makes it that much harder to pull the trigger.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Always interesting to see the more human face to some of this stuff. As in, it's easy for us to see, and complain about, Matt Carle's performance, and Anders Lindback, etc, and (ugh...) Teddy Purcell, but when the player is popular with his teammates, it probably makes it that much harder to pull the trigger.

Interesting to see all these oldschoolers on his wedding. Do we know if other Bolts were invited / there? Like Palat, Coburn, Johnson...

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
He and Stammer were about a week apart in weddings, so some went to his, some went to Heddys... I guess Heddys was in northern sweden, way out there.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
nice meme

again I was joking

But you don't joke about Hedman. He's more than half a dozen years from retirement and is already unequivocally the greatest defenseman in team history. There's just some guys you don't trade and Hedman is one of them. Joking about trading him is like making a joke about prime Lecavalier

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
But you don't joke about Hedman. He's more than half a dozen years from retirement and is already unequivocally the greatest defenseman in team history. There's just some guys you don't trade and Hedman is one of them. Joking about trading him is like making a joke about prime Lecavalier

whats wrong with some humor?

I was making fun of how stupid an idea it would be to trade hedman. he's ****ing amazing.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I was making fun of how stupid an idea it would be to trade hedman. he's ****ing amazing.

Not sure how that's a joke considering you went to the mainboards and made a thread.... terrible "joke" considering no one got it.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Not sure how that's a joke considering you went to the mainboards and made a thread.... terrible "joke" considering no one got it.

ok maybe it wasn't a good joke, but it was a joke.

I don't seriously think we should trade Hedman. Players like that are very tough to find.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Nothing wrong with humor. Just when it involves Hedman. If I made a thread asking who is the most valuable player we've EVER had (in points of their career) I think more than one of us would put Hedman as of today on that list next to 2004 MSL, Richards in the 2004 playoffs and 2006 Lecavalier without hesitation and possibly throw around the idea that Hedman today may just be as important if not more.

You gotta realize out of all these guys, Hedman is the only guy who is currently trending to a HHOF career.Stamkos and Kucherov need more great years of play. He may or may not ever win a Norris but no one will hold that against him

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I actually want vanek, he could be a cool 2nd line scorer

I know you do. But there were a few days where you claimed you'd only been joking about wanting him.

Just saying. No point in pretending you're making a joke, especially when the joke doesn't make sense, when we can tell you're not actually joking. Like with the Vanek thing. There's nothing wrong with having a crazy opinion. ;)

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I know you do. But there were a few days where you claimed you'd only been joking about wanting him.

Just saying. No point in pretending you're making a joke, especially when the joke doesn't make sense, when we can tell you're not actually joking. Like with the Vanek thing. There's nothing wrong with having a crazy opinion. ;)

I never said I was joking about wanting vanek...

ive been pushing for him since ufa started...

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Victor can be Malkin level dominant when he really wants to, it's just a shame that he's also inconsistent like Malkin. I don't think he has a shot at the Norris this year, but he'll be in Conn Smythe contention as usual.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Norris is largely a reputation based award. He's the best defenceman on the best team, he has a shot whether he has a better year then last year or not.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Victor can be Malkin level dominant when he really wants to, it's just a shame that he's also inconsistent like Malkin. I don't think he has a shot at the Norris this year, but he'll be in Conn Smythe contention as usual.
Norris is largely a reputation based award. He's the best defenceman on the best team, he has a shot whether he has a better year then last year or not.

Most of the "top d men in the league" are all usually offence heavy. Hedman is better defensively in his own zone than Karlsson, Burns, Doughty. The Norris trophy always comes down to who has the most points.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah it's dumb. There should be an Orr award for most points so the Norris can go back to being best complete defenseman.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Most of the "top d men in the league" are all usually offence heavy. Hedman is better defensively in his own zone than Karlsson, Burns, Doughty. The Norris trophy always comes down to who has the most points.

No it doesn't and Doughty is better than Hedman in his own zone, he's more consistent and breaks down as many plays being 5inches shorter. And you do know Doughty won a Norris with 30 points less than Karlsson just 2 years ago right? Duncan Keith in 2014?

Burns legit dominated last year - it's not about points, I'm surprised people make comments like this in todays game. Points from guys like Karlsson and Burns are a reflection of how much control they have in a game, Hedman may be a better player defending one on one but he can't push the pace of the game like Karlsson can on a dime, there's pros and cons to every player's style but it's about how they utilize it.

Hockey's not black and white in terms of "offense" and "defense", Burn's style of play decimated LA in the playoffs 2 years ago and he had a Conn Smythe worthy run in 2016, likewise Karlsson did the same last year - you don't just need to play "defense" in the game anymore to be a force.

Last edited:
Reactions: LightningStrikes

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
In Hedman's case for this year - there's no run away candidate just yet, still plenty of time to make noise but to be fair his play for the majority of the season hasn't been "Norris" level either. Doughty and PeterAngelo are probably the top-2 candidates.

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
I was just watching Hedman in an interview at the ASG and was wondering if anyone is aware of a particular reason for the redness on his left cheek? Can't tell if something happened there and was just curious?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I was just watching Hedman in an interview at the ASG and was wondering if anyone is aware of a particular reason for the redness on his left cheek? Can't tell if something happened there and was just curious?
His scar? Got it in the WC last year.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If I had to guess it's Nevus Flammeus or port wine stain. It's similar to a birthmark

mh_photo_of_port-wine_stain_on_infant.jpg

look familiar?

article_26912_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->