[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

1*grVlkhauotfW5TQEN1IljA.png

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
PS I wouldn't be surprised if that was the first time Heddy threw up the middle finger his entire life, and of course it's in a non malicious way. He's just a gem of a human being.
Who even flips the bird unironically, unless they're in traffic?

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I wish Stamkos had never been given the C, I think combined with the injuries it put too much weight on his shoulders early in his career.

Now he’s older and probably fine, but Hedman is a fine choice as well

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wish Stamkos had never been given the C, I think combined with the injuries it put too much weight on his shoulders early in his career.

Now he’s older and probably fine, but Hedman is a fine choice as well
It's tough to say if Stamkos is a good captain, but seeing the way the players were motivated by his brief appearance is a good indication of how respected he is.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It's tough to say if Stamkos is a good captain, but seeing the way the players were motivated by his brief appearance is a good indication of how respected he is.

I think he is a good captain, I wasn’t intending to say otherwise, I just think it may have hurt his production on the ice, much the same way it hurt Lecavaliers production early in his career. If I am a coach, I am trying hard to keep the C in the hands of an older veteran on the wrong end of the bell curve production wise.

At 30 years old, Stamkos has been around for a while, I don’t think the captaincy is something that would weigh him down now

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I don't support Tampa, although I have nothing against you at all. In fact, I like alot of your players, so there's that. It's probably one of the franchises on my upside in terms of likeableness (is that a word?). Now, when it comes to Hedman, I have to start off with saying I'm somewhat a Swedish homer. I like alot of players from different corners, but when it comes to hyping, it's usually a Swedish player.

But I don't hype alot of Swedish players. It has been Forsberg, Lundqvist, Pettersson and now Hedman. Hedman will have a glorious career when this is fine and done. It's basically a guarantee, apart from the dice of bad things you cannot help. But he's mentally strong, quite smart and physically strong, so he should handle most scenarios really well.

I mean, to see the veteran version of Hedman play is just something else. He's not overly physical in his own backend, but he sure uses his weight to his advantage - and of course his reach. He's sound positionally, skates really well, especially for his size - and then comes the goodies. His offensive game is textbook modern Swedish defenseman. Passes right on the tape, move shit out, play as a unit and do not be afraid to contribute in all parts of the ice. Play as a unit. That's when you get some really good plays done in every game.

Hedman is really good in molding his teammates into playing as a unit. They have to be aware he might pinch, but he's quite cautious, so he doesn't usually pinch unless he sees a pressuring end anyway. And when US commentators speak about his skating as "effortless" in the same terms they described Niedermayer, you know you have a real quality player on the team. Tampa has several quality players of course. Kucherov is something else, Point is so great at making the most out of his teammates, Vasilevsky will mostly give the team a chance to win, Shattenkirk is a hidden gem in modern hockey when you don't play him in a defensive role and allow him to play his game, and so on. And yeah, Stamkos. Who wasn't even needed for Tampa to win the cup. Kind of a conflicted story for him, but he's a great player. Bad news for the opponents.

All in all, I want to post this video of his playoff. Hedman is well worth the Conn Smythe, even if Point was also up there. You simply have to give the nod when a defenseman is so successful offensively and it was just not only offense. Hedman was an iron pin for the team to circle around. In the overall contribution, you have to give it to Hedman over Point. Hedman was on the ice more than he wasn't.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Nice vid but just to nitpick, 26mins < 50% of a game.... No skater plays more than they sit.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I haven't found it on the Highlights around, but the play where Hedman backchecked a partial break and in one motion stripped the puck and passed up ice for an odd man rush was nuts.

It would have been a good play to knock the puck into the corner. Setting up a 2 on 1 the other way was just ridiculous.

Right here:

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Barring injury he's winning the Norris again.
He defiantly deserves it, he's easily the best defence man in the league, but I think Hughes and Makar and Petry(if he keeps up this tear) will be up there. The Norris is always about points. Hedman is also scoring as well, but he may have some tougher competition this year.

I really want him to get his 2nd Norris though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->