Player Discussion: Victor Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
You're mythologizing him. Which is fair, to an extent. Lidstrom is one of the best defensemen of all time, and he was better than Hedman. That said, Lidstrom never dominated a post-season like Hedman is doing right now. If Hedman were to keep up this level of play for 5-6 years, which I don't think is possible, we'd be talking about a different tier.

Lidstrom was on the ice for half the game during playoffs, Hedman plays 21-22 minutes.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Fair, I slightly exaggerated to make my point. ;)

But Lidstrom did play several minutes more per game during his peak, than Hedman does now.

Perhaps that's Tampa's system.
It is TB's system, but Hedman is playing big minutes right now.

He's also chasing a significant offensive record while being easily the best in his own end as well.

Nick Lidstrom was the best player I've ever watched on a game by game basis. Hands down. But at no point in his career did he dominate 19 games the way Hedman just did. Being dominant wasn't what made him great.

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
Hedman was on the ice last night for 21-22min because of our lead and cooper was probably thinking about the back to back. We didnt need him to play 25+ with a 5-1 lead headed into the 3rd.

Reactions: 21 and twenty5psi

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
It is TB's system, but Hedman is playing big minutes right now.

He's also chasing a significant offensive record while being easily the best in his own end as well.

Nick Lidstrom was the best player I've ever watched on a game by game basis. Hands down. But at no point in his career did he dominate 19 games the way Hedman just did. Being dominant wasn't what made him great.

I see your point and understand where you're coming from.

BUT.

What Nick did wasn't as visible, in terms of dominance.

Like some colorman said so perfectly in a game (not sure when, but probably early 2000s). Other teams often didn't even bother trying to go for a zone entry when he was on the ice, if they weren't at the start of their shift. They just dumped the puck, went for a change, instead of risking losing the puck and him setting teammates up with his insane tape to tape passes.

And I've never seen anyone break up more 2 vs 1s, keep more pucks inside the blue line, play himself out of rough situations, make less mistakes or let someone make him look silly.

It happened a few times at the end of his career when he had lost a bit of his legs. Aside from that, the only time I can remember on the top of my head, is Forsberg going through his legs and then roofing it.

Having said that.

This was against lesser players. The level of play today is simply at a higher overall level - and Hedman is hands down the best defenceman alive today, and has been for a few years.

In my eyes, ge means more to Tampa than both Kucherov or Point.

Heck, you could almost swap "or" with "and".

Almost.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

BUT.

Like some colorman said so perfectly in a game (not sure when, but probably early 2000s). Other teams often didn't even bother trying to go for a zone entry when he was on the ice, if they weren't at the start of their shift. They just dumped the puck, went for a change, instead of risking losing the puck and him setting teammates up with his insane tape to tape passes.

And I've never seen anyone break up more 2 vs 1s, keep more pucks inside the blue line, play himself out of rough situations, make less mistakes or let someone make him look silly.

It happened a few times at the end of his career when he had lost a bit of his legs. Aside from that, the only time I can remember on the top of my head, is Forsberg going through his legs and then roofing it.

Having said that.

This was against lesser players. The level of play today is simply at a higher overall level - and Hedman is hands down the best defenceman alive today, and has been for a few years.

Almost.

Lidstrom played a consistently flawless (more/less) game. But he really didn't dominate all that often. Right now Hedman is doing both.

Again, I'm not saying Hedman is the better player. I'm just saying what we're seeing from him right now, as in 19 games, is very rare, and something Lidstrom never did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020

BUT.

Having said that.

Almost.
100% agree with what he means to this team. He is our MVP in my eyes.

I like that Hedman said we needed more scoring with stamkos absence so he goes out and pots 10 so far. Total boss!

Reactions: 21 and TeslaCoilFan

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Did not have his best game tonight. Hopefully that doesn't carry over tomorrow.

Reactions: Hoek

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
If he plays like this tonight and we still win, we might see Point pick up the Smythe in his place.

Last edited:

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
O Captain! My Captain!
DI2T4KWL2BFK5M5652WXIILLXU.JPG

Stamkos no longer has a valid claim to the 'C' on his sweater. Take it by force, blood, sweat, and tears, if necessary.

Reactions: 21

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Stamkos no longer has a valid claim to the 'C' on his sweater. Take it by force, blood, sweat, and tears, if necessary.
If indeed, Stammer is done, Heddy will be given the "C" without any questions asked. And I gotta think, knowing the friendship between them, Stammer would put it on Heddy with a smile... whilst the rest of us grabbed our kleenex and trashed the damn onion

Reactions: 21 and Coopers Gum

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If indeed, Stammer is done, Heddy will be given the "C" without any questions asked. And I gotta think, knowing the friendship between them, Stammer would put it on Heddy with a smile... whilst the rest of us grabbed our kleenex and trashed the damn onion
Hedman is the anchor of the Lightning, no questions asked.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
You know, two players have worn #77 for this franchise. The first one was a very notable guy, played three different stints here. Chris Gratton.

The second is Victor Hedman. He'll be the last to wear it, too.
Yep. When all's said and done - Norris, Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe, and he'll have all the Lightning dman records. He's far from retiring, but when he does, 77 will go to the rafters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad