• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Sorry, in a dispute with a friend and I need a point proven!

Who is the better all around? We all know Hedman had a down year... So, overall (I'll leave it up to you to ignore this season if you want) but this season really defined Fox... He'll have to repeat productions to win people over.

Thanks HF!

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
this is a good poll... im gonna have to think about this one

Obviously Hedman is a complete stud, but IMO Fox is criminally underrated on this site by alot of non Ranger fans

All three finalists could easily have won the Norris this year too

hmmmmmm

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Hedman hasn't been himself most of this year as he's obviously playing through some lower body injury that limits his mobility. So Fox was definitely the better player this season and deserved the Norris. In most years, Hedman is way better. Even though he's 7 years older, I'd take Hedman on the rebuilding Wings over Fox without a second thought. Not that Fox isn't a great defenseman, he's just not as good as the best defenseman in the world.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Very strange to compare a 23 year old player to a 30 year old player. Hedman has with no doubt proven more and reached a higher level, but he was pretty sub-par by his own standards this year and you question how many quality years has left, while Fox had an outstanding season but clearly hasn't reach the level Hedman did at his peak.

If you're asking me who I'd rather take for next season going forward, I'd take Fox. But if you're asking me who the better player is, it's Hedman and Fox has a lot of work to do to show he can reach and sustain the level of play we know Hedman has already achieved.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ll take Fox over any of the young defenseman. He was the best defenseman in the league this season. I’ll take Hedman though for the best defenseman in the league. He was injured this season. Fox isn’t far behind. He could become the best defenseman if he outplays Hedman again next season.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hedman has 40 points in his last 46 playoff games and 2 straight cups (soon), being the #1D.
The fact that he’s playing hurt right now just makes it all the more impressive.

Fox still has a long way to go. Being good against the bad teams in the division in a shortened season doesn’t count for much in my book.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Hedman has 40 points in his last 46 playoff games and 2 straight cups (soon), being the #1D.
The fact that he’s playing hurt right now just makes it all the more impressive.

Fox still has a long way to go. Being good against the bad teams in the division in a shortened season doesn’t count for much in my book.
As a Rangers fan, I agree Fox has more to prove to surpass Hedman in the immediate future, but let's not pretend that Fox didn't have 42 points in 70 games during his first season either. It's not like Fox was a no-name talent with little success before this season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As a Rangers fan, I agree Fox has more to prove to surpass Hedman in the immediate future, but let's not pretend that Fox didn't have 42 points in 70 games during his first season either. It's not like Fox was a no-name talent with little success before this season.

Fox was also good against more than only the bad teams.

Reactions: Polar Bear

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
This shouldn't be close and it won't be.

Kind of a waste of a poll.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Voted Fox, meant to vote Hedman. Fox was much better this past regular season but that’s all he has on Hedman. For a playoff series right now I’d take Hedman

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Voted Fox, meant to vote Hedman. Fox was much better this past regular season but that’s all he has on Hedman. For a playoff series right now I’d take Hedman
Agree with this

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Fox is better imo.

He’s just a stronger all around defenceman. I’ve been more impressed watching him this year than I have been watching Hedman.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Fox is a great player.. But its going to look strange when, looking back, this was his career year.

Hedman is an entire few tiers above and Fox wont see this level of production again

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Fox. He’s already yeeted on the non-believers this season and will continue to do so going forward. Hedman is already 30 and had a down year. Was it because of injury , fatigue, or has he started to decline? He already passed off his shutdown duties to McDonagh and Cernak. Fox does it all. Would have had the Calder last year too if it wasn’t for DeAngelo.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Fox. He’s already yeeted on the non-believers this season and will continue to do so going forward. Hedman is already 30 and had a down year. Was it because of injury , fatigue, or has he started to decline? He already passed off his shutdown duties to McDonagh and Cernak. Fox does it all. Would have had the Calder last year too if it wasn’t for DeAngelo.
Norris finalist and Stanley Cup with almost a PPG leading his team in minutes.

What a "down year". Lol.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Norris finalist and Stanley Cup with almost a PPG leading his team in minutes.

What a "down year". Lol.

Victor Hedman Shouldn't Win the Norris Trophy

Here is a really well written article that dives into Hedman's season and how much he struggled defensively this season. Lots of interesting points, Tampa Bay scored more goals with him on the bench than him on the ice, the majority of his production was on the power play, how much he struggled defending against rush opportunities, and how he played against some of the lowest quality of competition compared to the other Tampa defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad