Boston Bruins VI-Rumors, Trade Proposals, Speculation, etc.. (rumors must have recognized source/link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
I don't see how it's misplaced frustration, Anthony. Sweeney has ignored making a move for a Top 6 forward for years now when it's always been the need. Coach has shown consequences this season. He's benched guys, he's sent them upstairs, he's demoted. It's not working with them. They get back in the lineup and continue the same tired lack of effort crap. Bruins are a one line team and when you shut down the one line, they're easy as hell to play against and beat.

Yes, I still think it's misplaced though. Sweeney hasn't "ignored" anything, he's made moves and some haven't worked out. You can't just force a trade if the team isn't looking to move the player. No one is picking up the phone and saying "Oh, Don? Yeah, take this top-six player, man!" I get it, he needs to acquire someone, but there's only so much he can do about it without soliciting the entire future. Should he? I don't, man, maybe? Then again, is the rest of the roster looking like it'll make a difference? Not to me, really.

The Kase trade was exactly what this team needed-- a fast, aggressive high-volume creator. Someone who drives wide, cuts to the middle and drives play by shooting to create. Someone who's tough to play against because you have to respect his space on the ice with the puck or else he can make you look silly. It's also what they sought from Craig Smith and need more from him right now too. Adding even Kyle Palmieri doesn't change that fact, there's more issues than the hole at 2RW, IMO.

Also, I don't think Cassidy has really shown many consequences, unless your name is Anders Bjork, that is. He's sat Wagner and Kuraly, but then they've been wrongly placed back into the lineup. He waited too long on sitting DeBrusk, IMO, so maybe it's time for Sweeney to waive someone like Wagner or Kuraly. Kuhlman hasn't been great, but he's fast, hustles and actually plays like he has something to lose. That's the bigger issue at the moment and again, I'm not disagreeing-- Sweeney needs to make a trade. However, blaming him for all of the shortcomings this season seems misplaced to me.

The players need to play and the coaches need to coach.

I agree with you and Anthony is right, you could get Brett Hull here and what's the point with your 2C, 2LW, 3C and 3RW basically have mailed it in all season. They aren't playing with any urgency. This seems to be an entire roster issue with work ethic, or being in shape or whatever....Maybe we all shortchanged the Chara factor when he was here about being accountable and working hard.

Lou said it as well as I could have, FWIW. These guys are playing like passengers and I think they've gotten way, way too comfortable as a group. If I'm the GM and many of you will say thank god he's not, I waive Chris Wagner tomorrow and start sending the message that way. SOmething's gotta give with this group and a night in the press box isn't much of a consequence, IMO. Start moving some underperforming replaceable players through the ranks.

McKegg? Kuhlman? Steen? Lauko? Hughes? Blidh? Literally any single of them would help hammer home the message of urgency right now, IMO. Waive someone in Boston and make them start feeling uncomfortable. Something has to give with this group.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
Yes, I still think it's misplaced though. Sweeney hasn't "ignored" anything, he's made moves and some haven't worked out. You can't just force a trade if the team isn't looking to move the player. No one is picking up the phone and saying "Oh, Don? Yeah, take this top-six player, man!" I get it, he needs to acquire someone, but there's only so much he can do about it without soliciting the entire future. Should he? I don't, man, maybe? Then again, is the rest of the roster looking like it'll make a difference? Not to me, really.

The Kase trade was exactly what this team needed-- a fast, aggressive high-volume creator. Someone who drives wide, cuts to the middle and drives play by shooting to create. Someone who's tough to play against because you have to respect his space on the ice with the puck or else he can make you look silly. It's also what they sought from Craig Smith and need more from him right now too. Adding even Kyle Palmieri doesn't change that fact, there's more issues than the hole at 2RW, IMO.

Also, I don't think Cassidy has really shown many consequences, unless your name is Anders Bjork, that is. He's sat Wagner and Kuraly, but then they've been wrongly placed back into the lineup. He waited too long on sitting DeBrusk, IMO, so maybe it's time for Sweeney to waive someone like Wagner or Kuraly. Kuhlman hasn't been great, but he's fast, hustles and actually plays like he has something to lose. That's the bigger issue at the moment and again, I'm not disagreeing-- Sweeney needs to make a trade. However, blaming him for all of the shortcomings this season seems misplaced to me.

The players need to play and the coaches need to coach.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of the above. However, there are consequences to every roster move in a hard cap league, some longer term than others. You can't force a team to trade a player you covet, but you can have the pieces to force a conversation when most every player has a price.

When you sign an aging forward to a long term deal for semi-big money, and every single person not paid to make those decisions knows it's a bad move before the ink is dry and are subsequently proven correct when you have to give up your first and a fairly legit prospect to ditch that player, it's a symptom of a larger problem. Take that a step further and throw in poor drafting and one sees why the pieces don't exist to force that conversation.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
As much as the Bruins need a top six forward, they also need a better 4th line - one with an identity. We've seen it have success back in the day with the MERLOT line and you see it today with the Islanders. It drives play. I think you are a third of the way there with Frederic but could really use a Bennett, Glendening, etc

Kuraly and Wagner just don't seem to be doing it at all this year and it's a shame because they usually made up two-thirds of it.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I don't necessarily disagree with any of the above. However, there are consequences to every roster move in a hard cap league, some longer term than others. You can't force a team to trade a player you covet, but you can have the pieces to force a conversation when most every player has a price.

When you sign an aging forward to a long term deal for semi-big money, and every single person not paid to make those decisions knows it's a bad move before the ink is dry and are subsequently proven correct when you have to give up your first and a fairly legit prospect to ditch that player, it's a symptom of a larger problem. Take that a step further and throw in poor drafting and one sees why the pieces don't exist to force that conversation.
He has drafted defence better then every other gm In the league.

member 96824

In the one where Lucic has more points than any current bottom 6 Bruin and Bennett is only outscored by Smith...

And you guys anticipate that Lucic, shooting 15% right now, compared to 7.8% over the last 3 years, will continue to do that?

Let's take a look. Lucic has 6 goals. 2 were scored in the first 6 games, had 6 shots in those first 6 games. 33% shooting!

Added another 3 in February across 15 games, shooting 13.6%. 1 goal in March so far shooting 10%.

As we talked about at the beginning, Lucic's average over the last 3 seasons has been 7.8%. Which way would you argue he's heading?

We're not acquiring goals already scored, it's great Lucic scored we're looking to the future. It's also been very very very well established that the North division is a joke when it comes to defense and goaltending. A complete joke. Will Milan Lucic be facing the same type of defenses in the Atlantic? Nope.

We should be honest about what this really is...it comes up every f***ing year and it has nothing to do about how Lucic is playing.

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
And you guys anticipate that Lucic, shooting 15% right now, compared to 7.8% over the last 3 years, will continue to do that?

Let's take a look. Lucic has 6 goals. 2 were scored in the first 6 games, had 6 shots in those first 6 games. 33% shooting!

Added another 3 in February across 15 games, shooting 13.6%. 1 goal in March so far shooting 10%.

As we talked about at the beginning, Lucic's average over the last 3 seasons has been 7.8%. Which way would you argue he's heading?

We're not acquiring goals already scored, it's great Lucic scored we're looking to the future. It's also been very very very well established that the North division is a joke when it comes to defense and goaltending. A complete joke. Will Milan Lucic be facing the same type of defenses in the Atlantic? Nope.

We should be honest about what this really is...it comes up every f***ing year and it has nothing to do about how Lucic is playing.
Lucic isn’t being suggested for his goal scoring clearly. He’s being suggested because of how embarrassing and soft our team was today.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Not enough skilled players. Too many pluggers on this team. It’s been like this for a while now. In the past line one made this team look way better than it really is. I’m not over reacting to this loss in particular but generally speaking this is a one line team and if that line isn’t going you get what happened today. I will say this, there were a few shifts that had Pastrnak with Krejci and they looked pretty good. Created a few chances. I bet you put a highly skilled forward (rhymes will ball) with Krejci on a regular basis, line 2 will be a threat. Right now Krejci looks to his left. and sees Nick Ritchie. Looks to his right and sees a revolving door. This mess is all on Don Sweeney and I have no idea what the hell he is waiting for.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Bjork, late picks, whatever gets it done. Don’t act like he’s a steep price. You’re a troll man. Let people offer up ideas and mind your business. Non stop bitching and whining.

He’s not a need. It’s a terrible suggestion. I love how calling it out makes me a “troll”. No. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn’t make them that.

member 96824

A top-six forward doesn’t change anything when 9/12 guys are skating like it’s a pre-season matchup. The coach needs to get more out of these guys, especially Coyle and Smith. Wagner and Kuraly are giving this lineup virtually nothing, either, which doesn’t help. Your fourth-line can’t be getting out hustled and skated every single night.

Sweeney needs to make a move no doubt, but y’all blaming him and calling for his head right now seems like misplaced frustration, IMO. There’s plenty of talent on this roster to be competitive every game, against every team. Whether or not that’s on the coach or the players on the ice is up for debate, but the sentiment still stands— too many guys skating like there’s no consequences and they’ll be rolled out there again and again.

The team plays as constructed. Are there players underperforming? Yes. Were most of those Sweeney acquisitions? Also yes. But I don't really think there are any surprises on the team with how it's built.

Craig Smith for example though...should the coach be getting more out of him? I'm not entirely sure. His career lines up with his numbers right now. He's always been between 10 and 17 ES goals..he's at a 14 pace right now. Always been between 13 and 20 ES assists..he's pacing for 17 right now. To me, that shows that it's not Craig Smith, he is who we thought he is. He's being Craig Smith. The decision of being the offseason add at forward in hopes of creating secondary scoring is the problem there.

Which gets to my last point, is secondary scoring being an issue this season a surprise? Absolutely not to anyone who's followed this team since 2014...and there lies the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->