VHL General Discussion

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
According to the VHL yesterday...

""Hockey clubs Rostov (Rostov-on-Don) and ShouGan (Beijing) have applied for participation in the VHL - Silk Road Cup season 2019/2020.""

So 34 teams for this coming season and now its finally named 'Silk Road Cup'. This means we have 3 Chinese teams as well, that's quite impressive.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
According to the VHL yesterday...

""Hockey clubs Rostov (Rostov-on-Don) and ShouGan (Beijing) have applied for participation in the VHL - Silk Road Cup season 2019/2020.""

So 34 teams for this coming season and now its finally named 'Silk Road Cup'. This means we have 3 Chinese teams as well, that's quite impressive.
Yes, 34 clubs, three from China.

I would just correct you. The league has been named "the VHL - Silk Road Cup" even earlier. Nothing new for this off-season. It is true they do not point out the Silk name in every article, so people not following the league closely can not realise the real name of the championship. It is very similar with Ak Bars Kazan, everyone calls them Ak Bars, but the real name is Tatneft-Ak Bars.

Reactions: Rigafan

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Do you think that the VHL this season is a test for how viable Humo is? Maybe they will try to get into the KHL? Plenty of money in Uzbekistan to fund a project.
Pretty sure if all goes well their goal is to reach KHL eventually. Money and ambitions are obviously there. So I guess the only question is if they continue to be there. The route they are taking is very similar to how Donbass happened back in the day.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I don't think they would build an all-purpose, fantastic ice arena in Tashkent for a VHL team... Sure, it will be used for other events as well but I firmly believe Humo will join KHL sooner than later. No idea how much love hockey gets there, but it is almost certain that it will be better than China. Uzbekistan is not far from Russia or its culture. Tashkent is big enough to support a KHL-level ice hockey team. If they can produce some players and attract some interest from locals, they could easily be better than half of the current KHL teams.

Russians and Tatars make up almost a quarter of Tashkent's population, which is above 2 million... A promising team should be able to attract interest in a city like that, especially given how hyped and beautiful the new arena is.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
What is the ultimate goal that is hoped to be achieved by the existence of Humo? I suppose it could serve as a platform for Uzbekistan to naturalize a number of decently skilled players, but as of now Uzbekistan is not even an IIHF member.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What is the ultimate goal that is hoped to be achieved by the existence of Humo? I suppose it could serve as a platform for Uzbekistan to naturalize a number of decently skilled players, but as of now Uzbekistan is not even an IIHF member.
Not necessarily, I think they value it more as a spectacle, something of international significance in their country, rather than some extension of their national hockey ambitions which, at this point, they have none.

Like the goal of having F1 racetrack in Azerbaijan isn't to make Azerbaijanese drive better, it's just about the international reputation and proving your population you can.

Purely speculation though.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Speak of the devil. In today's interview, Humo GM, Normunds Sejejs (same old faces), confirmed they "have to play in the KHL in a year or two, at the latest".

Генменеджер «Хумо»: через год, максимум два должны играть в КХЛ

I actually didn't know Sejejs was Humo GM but if I did it would have been dead giveaway they are on their way to the KHL. The Latvian duo, him and Raitis Pilsetnieks pop up almost everywhere KHL needs to build something from the ground level. They both started Riga, then Lev Prague, then Pilsetnieks became the President/GM of Kunlun, the other is building hockey in Tashkent, evidently.

I guess I could have read about him being GM in vorky's post in other thread but since it started

you are mixing up two leagues - the KHL & the VHL. As we know, the VHL is run by the Russian hockey federation, the league has its own vision, nothing to do with the KHL.

I just skipped it as the regular bullshit.

vtmx

Aug 27, 2019
Prague, CZE
The KHL is finally doing something right. There's a lot of untapped potential in those "-stan" countries south of the Russian border. Going into those markets is a whole lot smarter than constantly teasing new, soon-to-be-doomed teams in locations like London or Germany, at least in my opinion.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
The KHL is finally doing something right. There's a lot of untapped potential in those "-stan" countries south of the Russian border. Going into those markets is a whole lot smarter than constantly teasing new, soon-to-be-doomed teams in locations like London or Germany, at least in my opinion.
There is no interest for hockey there and corruption of levels higher than in Russia.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
There is no interest for hockey there and corruption of levels higher than in Russia.
Obviously I understand what you mean, but just to be devils advocate, I have to point out that interest is just high enough that in a combination with high corruption you can fund whatever crazy project someone can put together in their mind.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Don't know why Pipipenko and Sigarev endded up in the VHL, but Yugra is ripping all sorts of benefits from their stay there.

Khumo has a nice VHL roster, lots of KHL level players, if they jell may threaten in the play offs....
We all know - Saryarka wins the title thought :)

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
Don't know why Pipipenko and Sigarev endded up in the VHL, but Yugra is ripping all sorts of benefits from their stay there.

Khumo has a nice VHL roster, lots of KHL level players, if they jell may threaten in the play offs....
We all know - Saryarka wins the title thought :)

Great start for Humo. Team is playing good and decent attendance.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Interestingly, Ak Bars is, much like SKA in years before, going for all 3 titles. Bars look very strong in the VHL and have an influx of KHL players like Kara, Li, Fazylzlyanov and lead the series against SKA Neva (perennial contender) 2-0 after 2 away games. This is the first year they have invested in creating a powerful VHL team (they didn't have one at all until 2016 (?)).

While Irbis, in the MHL now, also benefit from the guys who were pushed down from the VHL and Zhuravlyov sent from Ak Bars itself. And they are having a relatively easy time in the MHL playoffs so far.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Just saw that Maxim Kitsyn almost tripled his last year's scoring and set th VHL records for goals and points (53 games, 39+30 for 69 points). Kuznya still didn't make the playoffs though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad