VHL General Discussion

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I just find it funny that, after years of being the KHL's doormat, Kuznya now has standards, lol.

But, they finally tasted playoff experience, and have the cravings for more next season.
In a way you are right but at the same time, they are a pretty proud organization. Their MHL team has had some success over the years and sold out the barn so they aren't incompetent, just poor.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
So Saryarka is basically in the finals after one of the humblest seasons - bad start, no big signings, no fanfare, 12th in the regular season.. As it is the team I follow/support the most (the team that has been home to 2 Lithuanian players now) it's definitely nice to see them get rewarded after so many years in contention. Sure the final is still ahead but they look rock solid at the moment.
Tambijevs has this league figured out. Only a matter of time when KHL team will give him a job.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I thought about it as well, it's kinda interesting considering his work with Latvian junior NT was so underwhelming. But at this point, he should definitely get a shot at KHL gig. Among the players as well, I don't even understand how someone like Lomako is playing in the VHL for as long as he is.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Saryarka is a champ...it's funny how they struggle in the beginning and then turn it around and win the whole thing...May be time to apply to KHL?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Saryarka is a champ...it's funny how they struggle in the beginning and then turn it around and win the whole thing...May be time to apply to KHL?
Conference finals were the first time in their history they sold out the 5.5k capacity arena so I think not.

Other than that, good job by those guys but realistically, even the very successful coach was the difference. The core of this team had been there for ages and yet this time they crushed everything in their way. Also, tough luck for Neftyanik to get them in the first round. Turns out, it was the toughest series for Saryarka as well. Nobody else even remotely challenged them.

Edit: I mean VHL semis as there is no such thing as conference finals there.

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara

No way. Togliatti would riot and rightly so. Saryarka is a good VHL team and that's it. If Kazakhstan ever gets a second team, I believe it should play out of Almaty. Regardless, it is not happening anytime soon.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
No way. Togliatti would riot and rightly so. Saryarka is a good VHL team and that's it. If Kazakhstan ever gets a second team, I believe it should play out of Almaty. Regardless, it is not happening anytime soon.
Togliatti has proved once again this season, why they are no value add, I posted earlier, how they seign/resign/let go players in a very strange "smelly" way.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
So the idea of an Uzbekistani team is actually going to be realized. Uzbekistan isn't even an IIHF member and the only active Uzbekistani national on Eliteprospects is Maxim Mayorov of Ufa so this should be interesting.

The UAE is a hockey power in comparison.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
To be honest VHL not having divisions was huge nonsense. Small teams have most to gain from more limited travel.

Reactions: Exarz

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Here are the proposed divisions and conferences for those who can read Russian:
9e36036470eb8c29736b24bb7e28b05e.jpg

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Teams from China, Uzbekistan and St. Petersburg in the same division.. Ok then.. I guess the assumption was you have to fly there anyway so might as well stay there for 2 weeks and play loads of games.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Teams from China, Uzbekistan and St. Petersburg in the same division.. Ok then.. I guess the assumption was you have to fly there anyway so might as well stay there for 2 weeks and play loads of games.
I'm quite sure there teams fly commercial flights, so this absolutely makes sense in my opinion.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm quite sure there teams fly commercial flights, so this absolutely makes sense in my opinion.
Yeah.. That's the only viable option I guess, you fly in, play against a couple of team at ones, fly somewhere else. 1 flight, no hassles. And the distance almost doesn't matter since getting to some of those small towns is so difficult and you would then have to go hundreds of kilometers by bus from one town to another.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
VHL has just expanded to 34 teams, as HK Rostov and Shougang Beijing have joined the league.

Beijing Shougang have fielded a youth team "the Eagles" in the United States at the Tier III junior level since 2016 based in NYC. They play in the USPHL Elite division. Mostly have been American kids with Chinese ancestry/backgrounds but looks like last year's roster was finally full of Chinese national kids (or EP is just getting lazy).

I assume this is the same organization that will now field the VHL club, with the intent to give these developing youth players another step after they exit junior level?

Reactions: Pardus

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@BKarchitect

I would say you are right partially. Sure, some USPHL guys may get a chance at VHL level. But the team will be a farm team for KRS Beijing playing the KHL. Last season the KRS-ORG Beijing played that farm role. Now, ORG is independent and Shougang is a farm team.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
So with the proposed conference system, has anyone heard if it has been approved? How will the schedule be?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
So with the proposed conference system, has anyone heard if it has been approved? How will the schedule be?
They announced the league will have 2 conferences and 4 divisions, so nothing new here. I guess they will add Shougang to other Chinese clubs (+ St.Petersburg teams, Tver, Zvezda Moscow, Voskresensk, Tashkent) and Rostov to division with Kazan, Voronezh, Penza, Togliaty, N.Novgorod, Tambov, Samara, Ryazan. But yeah, nothing official yet.

Reactions: Exarz

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
They add two teams after the schedule for the season is already confirmed? Ok......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->