VHL General Discussion

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
wouldn't it be better if Zakharchenko went somewhere where he would play regularly? He was great on WC, probably he could have done better than EIHL backup? Maybe somewhere in VHL?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
So, why were those clubs removed?

Tver had financial problems last season & local government did not want to support the team for 17/18.

I believe Saratov is similar case.

Ariada was a farm team of Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk, but the KHL team did not renew the partnership for 17/18, so Ariada could not afford to play the VHL anymore.

Dynamo Moscow signed a partnership agreement with Buran Voronezh for 17/18 which is cheaper than having own farm team (Dynamo Balashikha).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Watching Harbin's home debut today, pretty sure even though arena is tiny there are more people in the stands than in Shanghai when Kunlun plays. Also Chinese announcer on official VHL feed.

Also it's really interesting how these Chinese teams will do. Because they are very top-heavy, Heilongjiang have Lebedev, Mokin, Dubrovin - those are borderline KHL players. Yet at the same time their 3rd - 4th lines are made off garbage players even by VHL standards. I would go as far as saying that if they have any success VHL's reputation is at stake.

Last edited:

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Watching Harbin's home debut today, pretty sure even though arena is tiny there are more people in the stands than in Shanghai when Kunlun plays. Also Chinese announcer on official VHL feed.

It may be small but at least it's full. The real test of fan interest there will be for game 2.

I'm watching the other Chinese VHL team as well. It sounds like a decent crowd, but can't really tell, as all the seating is above the camera level.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
From what I understand Harbin is at least somewhat hockey city - they actually had a hockey team since forever and were the Chinese league powerhouse for years. So fans naturally see this as a continuation of their team's development and follow it. Those are real fans not some people looking for this new curiosity in Beijing/Shanghai. Makes me wonder wasn't it the right decision to base an actual KHL team in Harbin?

Although I guess no KHL arena makes the difference.

At the end of the day, I find this Heilongjiang thingie way more likeable than any other Chinese hockey project including their former Asia League ventures.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, Buran is a terrible team. Meanwhile Harbin is kinda like Barys of the VHL, their top-6 might be best in the league. Bottom half of the roster just tries not to mess up things too bad.

Also I admire their noble wish to let some guys get a chance, they did let NCAA backup Derek Dun start the match against Tseng Tou, probably for the sake of being more Chinese than them, and now he's siting on cool .722 Sv%. I think that's not going to work. Otherwise, they do have 2 solid Russian VHL goalies. Shots in that game they lost to Tseng Tou 5-4 were 46 - 24 in Harbin's favor so I think it's pretty obvious which of Chinese teams is better.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
From what I understand Harbin is at least somewhat hockey city - they actually had a hockey team since forever and were the Chinese league powerhouse for years. So fans naturally see this as a continuation of their team's development and follow it. Those are real fans not some people looking for this new curiosity in Beijing/Shanghai. Makes me wonder wasn't it the right decision to base an actual KHL team in Harbin?

Although I guess no KHL arena makes the difference.

At the end of the day, I find this Heilongjiang thingie way more likeable than any other Chinese hockey project including their former Asia League ventures.

Not a main reason.

If you look at foreign teams - all are from capital. No coincidence here. All important media are concentrated in the capital. Lev Poprad had a big problem that all journalists were in Bratislava. Then it is about money and sponsors, the capital is more attractive. Travelling and accomodation is another part. Maybe non-hockey infrastructure is not a problem for Harbin, but there was/is a big difference between Poprad and Bratislava. Yes, we can not compare Slovakia to China, but you get the point. This are main reasons why the KHL has chosen a capital for their foreign teams. And I think this policy will go on.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Does anybody know which arena Jilin Tseng Tou use? They play well and had a crowd of almost 4k today! Redstar had a very active crowd too with many chants and what seemed like a fun atmosphere

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think it's "Changchun Fuao Ice Hockey Rink" as it was called during 2007 Asian Winter games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->