VHL Expansion

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I doubt that they would give out any passports as China doesn't recognise dual citizenship (which already has caused some backlash for the Olympic team IIRC).

In the KHL, Russian players are counted as domestic players for all teams (Russian or non-Russian). My guess is that the same rules apply for VHL teams, especially with the entry of Humo Tashkent.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think they are roughly on par with the usual regular bottom 5 VHL teams.. Sure it will be rough for them but this is the league where somebody finishing below 20 points isn't anything new.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I don't understand what is in it for the Russian teams to add China into the mix if they aren't being subsidized by the Chinese teams for their troubles. Seems like a huge headache

Russia/KHL also needs teams in the Far East, otherwise Admiral and Amur suffer, so if the Chinese gov are willing to put up the funds then why not let them?

Plus politics, but that doesn't explain what's in it in a hockey sense, which is not much for the Russian teams or players, other than a new team to play in and a new city to visit on their ever expanding world tour!

I don't think @hansomreiste was trying to be smart but Russian hockey is basically all politics, and making money doesn't really matter, not yet at least.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I do not want to interfere in the discussion, but you are mixing up two leagues - the KHL & the VHL. As we know, the VHL is run by the Russian hockey federation, the league has its own vision, nothing to do with the KHL.

What I said about Chinese compensations is related to the VHL, not KHL.

To sum it up. Both leagues want to develop the game of hockey in Europe & Asia. The KHL is elite league, the VHL is a second-tier league. We can claim the VHL is more concentrated to Former Soviet countries in Asia (see Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan) & China, so the clubs should be located at countries where the Chinese Silk Road will go. Hence the name the VHL-Silk Road Cup. I can not imagine the VHL to go to Europe. On the other hand, the KHL has such vision. Even the league is already established in Europe (Riga, Helsinki) & negotiations are with other countries. Of course, the KHL may expand to Asia as well (rumours about Japan).

Just a few words on Humo Tashkent. The club is sponsored by Eriell, the KHL´s long-term partner. Sejejs is GM, he has many experiences with KHL teams. The head of marketing is from the KHL HQ. Other club´s employees are from Spartak Moscow.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Also, Rostov pulled the NMHL team this season..so all the kids they brought in, including lots of locals have nowhere to play...how typically idiotic this is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad