Confirmed Trade: [VGK/VAN] Brendan Leipsic for Philip Holm

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Leipsic was a stud for the marlies.. pretty much tortured Greens Comets teams.... Holm was the comets top defensman.

Reactions: uncleben85

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
He's a smaller skilled forward. Great speed, shifty good with the puck. I always enjoyed watching him play vrs the Comets.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I don't think any of the new players will be key guys. They are all too little. Whatever. Benning didn't "bleed" any picks. He didn't really hurt anything.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Decent addition to canucks. His shooting percentage should bounce back, put pressure on Granlund to keep his NHL job.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I still remember when Leipsic was offered as the main piece for Dougie Hamilton by some Leafs fans. Good times, good times.

Nah, we wouldn't do that. :naughty: :oops:

We definitely have our fav players for trade bait e.g., Leipsic, Rychel, Marincin, Carrick, etc.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's a smaller skilled forward. Great speed, shifty good with the puck. I always enjoyed watching him play vrs the Comets.
Oh... Was hoping he was a grittier guy who.would be a checker PK guy. Doubt he is able to play a scoring role so rather just have guys who can do the defensive heavy lifting to free horvat and his line for more offensive starts.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Oh... Was hoping he was a grittier guy who.would be a checker PK guy. Doubt he is able to play a scoring role so rather just have guys who can do the defensive heavy lifting to free horvat and his line for more offensive starts.
he's that too. Was always compared to Gallagher & Marchand (pre-perennial allstar version) on his way up. He's very little, but is always initiating contact and holds his own, but is speedy & skilled enough that we thought he could be a 2nd line winger at times coming up. He's still a bit of a mystery box, has scored everywhere that he's been put in a position to do so, and seems to be fine in a bottom 6 role as well

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
tsk only 3 pages for Benning's best pro acquisition?

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Guys this is really awkward and all, but our GM had a massive brainfart, he should have traded you Reaves instead of Leipsic... can we do a super sneaky swap to fix this?

Take care of him.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Maybe it was just the 1st game adrenaline w. A new team but Leipsic looked like Brad Marchand out there

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I'm a fan of his. I was disappointed when he was left exposed by the Leafs for the expansion draft, but we just didn't have the room for him. Really hope he does well with the Canucks. Good luck to him.

Reactions: skyo

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He's got a lot of untapped upside and just never got a chance here. He's small but he doesn't play small. I would have liked to keep him but Leivo was too good here last year to let go and it was between him or Leipsic in the expansion draft. Between the two, I'm not sure if Leivo has been inspiring with his limited minutes either but he probably fits a bigger need idealistically in terms of what he brings to the team with his size and shot.

On a team like the Canucks, I wouldn't be surprised for him to find a niche role playing up in the lineup.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Seems Leipsic has found immediate chemistry with Horvat and Boeser, he's a good fit for them as has that speedy spark, skill and tenacity to keep up with that duo.

thumbs-up.gif

Reactions: FishManSam

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I was disappointed when we lost him in the expansion draft. Dude can fly and has serious pest like qualities. Thought he would be an apt replacement for Uncle Leo when the time was right.

I think Van, especially in a rebuilding phase, will be a good fit for the little bugger.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Always really liked him and I’m surprised he never broke out in Vegas like I expected him to do

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The line of Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser was unreal tonight. Amazing acquisition
Leipsic never had that kind of opportunity with either of his former teams. Benning/Green were smart to give him a shot with really good linemates right away in a year that the results don't matter. He was very productive in the AHL when he played with good players and got good minutes, I still think a Brendan Gallagher clone is not out of the question as a result

Reactions: FishManSam

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Leipsic never had that kind of opportunity with either of his former teams. Benning/Green were smart to give him a shot with really good linemates right away in a year that the results don't matter. He was very productive in the AHL when he played with good players and got good minutes, I still think a Brendan Gallagher clone is not out of the question as a result

What I know about Leipsic is that he has attitude problems. Toronto didn't call him up last season when he was playing well with the Marlies and insisted Vegas take him. Vegas traded him for cheap when he actually was playing well for them. I think there's potential he's a Canuck as long as Green is there, although he needs the right discipline.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
What I know about Leipsic is that he has attitude problems. Toronto didn't call him up last season when he was playing well with the Marlies and insisted Vegas take him. Vegas traded him for cheap when he actually was playing well for them. I think there's potential he's a Canuck as long as Green is there, although he needs the right discipline.
I haven't heard anything related to attitude issues with his own team. He's been called "the most annoying prospect in hockey" at times, but that was in regards to the other team's perspective. I've never heard him spout off to the media, or about him conflicting with his own players/coaches and he played for teams that I follow for quite a while

We didn't call him up last season because of the logjam of players ahead of him. Leivo was having a hell of a season every time he got in and still only managed 13 games, so that really wasn't a reflection on Leipsic

Holm was the most coveted udfa defender last year and he's playing well in the AHL, he could be a 2nd pairing dman the same way that Leipsic could be a middle 6 F. Vancouver's D corps is pretty full with Poulliout turning out and they were losing Vanek, Vegas's left D looks pretty soft and they got Ryan Reaves to play the 4th line wing spot...this seems like a move to address each team's needs to me

Reactions: DudeWhereIsMakar

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Toronto didn't call him up last season when he was playing well with the Marlies and insisted Vegas take him. Vegas traded him for cheap when he actually was playing well for them.
How did TO insist Vegas take him? You can do that...simply insist an expansion team tale a certain player off your roster?

He was 15th in team scoring (behind 6 d-men on the Knights roster, including Derek Engelland); he may have been playing ‘well’, but, clearly not well enough to make himself someone that they envisioned as a guy they couldn’t part with.

Looks like he has some much needed skill and grit and could help the ‘Nucks. He could be one of those guys that just needs an opportunity. He’s kind of running out of time, but may have found that opportunity on a Canucks team bereft of talent (and grit).

member 147413

Always liked Leipsic, was disappointed Leivo was protected over him tbh.

Leipsic is a hustler that’ll piss of the opposition. Glad he’s being given a chance with skill guys, I don’t think he’ll disappoint.

Funny enough, Leipsic is a better fit for the Leafs than Leivo.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->