Confirmed Trade: [VGK/TOR] David Clarkson and 2020 4th round pick for Garret Sparks

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
What in the actual golden ****? What is this trade. :laugh:

What a bizarre thing. Sure, it's permanently IR'd money...but the Leafs take on salary and give away their cheap backup goaltender, because why?
That cheap backup goaltender is donkey shit in net and cost us games last year.

I would've been fine with a 7th.

As to your question about why, it's been posted plenty of times in the thread.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If the Leafs are buyers at the deadline it’s going to be because some sizable contract is shipped out or some sizable contract is unexpectedly on LTIR. Right now they’re setting up to be right up against the cap at the deadline assuming Marner is signed.

Like building up Cody Ceci and moving him at the deadline, bring up liljegren (who was inline for a callup late last year before injury) and be able to add ~$3M player at the deadline ($6M dollar AAV player right?) I truly think this is the plan

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Like building up Cody Ceci and moving him at the deadline, bring up liljegren (who was inline for a callup late last year before injury) and be able to add ~$3M player at the deadline ($6M dollar AAV player right?) I truly think this is the plan

It’s possible. You need a ton of depth at defense though going into the playoffs. Does that really make sense to do if Ceci is playing well?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

No, it would be a ~$3.6m AAV player. When using LTIR space there's no pro-rating. It's dollar out for dollar in. $4.5m out in Ceci, $863k in with Liljegren, leaving about $3.6m for a TDL acquisition.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
You have to adjust for the fact that two of those 23 are going to miss the first month of the season. So it’s really a 21 man roster with two more LTIR cases besides Horton and Clarkson.

Yes the math gets complicated.
Especially since Dermott and Hyman will eventually come back (unlike Horton and Clarkson).

If they're tight against the cap, they'll need to free a bit more than $3.1M for them.

Shades of the Flyers sending Scottie Upshall and a 2nd for Dan Carcillo 10 years ago to make room for Brière coming back from LTIR...

PS (if need be for some members): Upshall was a better player than Carcillo.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Because they put Hyman on Dermott on IR and brought up more players for some reason.

Which is why you can't just blindly trust the number they give without understanding it.
:huh:

Do you understand it ?

Hyman and Dermott (just as Horton and Clarkson) AAVs are included in that over-the-cap number, but not in the 23-men roster.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It’s possible. You need a ton of depth at defense though going into the playoffs. Does that really make sense to do if Ceci is playing well?

we have a ton of depth. But yeah good point if he is playing that well might as well keep him. I think they want liljegren up to get a taste pretty soon though.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Nice statement.

But you did not care to show how it was reasonably (key word) possible.

At least, I had the decency to provide a rationale.
Let's all look at your wonderful rationale:
Convincing...

Leafs are at the cap (~100k over) with 12 forwards, 7 defensemen, 2 goalies, Kessel retention, and Horton and Clarkson. Horton and Clarkson go on LTIR, opening up 10.55m in space to add Marner, which would bring the active roster size to 22.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Nice statement.

But you did not care to show how it was reasonably (key word) possible.

At least, I had the decency to provide a rationale.

Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 3.54.46 PM.png

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Convincing...

Leafs are at the cap (~100k over) with 12 forwards, 7 defensemen, 2 goalies, Kessel retention, and Horton and Clarkson. Horton and Clarkson go on LTIR, opening up 10.55m in space to add Marner, which would bring the active roster size to 22.
You conveniently forgot to mention that I had previously a rationale previously. But that's par for the course for you.

At least The Podium provided a list.

What's yours ?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Convincing...

But they can't sign Marner until the start of the NHL season, correct? Because they have to be cap compliant before putting the players on LTIR, so the cap space isn't available until 10/5 (or whenever the 1st day of the season is).

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
But they can't sign Marner until the start of the NHL season, correct? Because they have to be cap compliant before putting the players on LTIR, so the cap space isn't available until 10/5 (or whenever the 1st day of the season is).

Leafs can exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason and there is also offseason LTIR for players that have pre-existing conditions like Horton and Clarkson.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How much are you allowed to go over the salary cap in the offseason?
10% of the cap.

There is off-season LTIR.

They can sign him whenever.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Does LTIR go into effect on the first day that teams are required to be cap compliant?

There is the “training camp formula” that will determine your ACSL and relief pool numbers if a team enters LTIR during training camp. This is likely what the Leafs will use regardless if they have Marner signed or not. By acquiring Clarkson, it means they can enter LTIR during training camp while getting optimal LTIR relief. Without Clarksons contract, Leafs would otherwise be under the cap during training camp without Mitch signed and thus would not have optimal relief. If Sorry I don’t have a direct link right now but search the “training camp formula” for LTIR salary relief pool on the LTIR FAQ on capfriendly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad