Confirmed with Link: VGK re-signED the Panda to long-term extension; 5x5

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Like I said earlier, Walsh probably heard this news weeks ago, hence the tweet. There was no reason otherwise to rock the boat so violently.

Well that and them canning Prior and lying about it. Prior (no pun intended) to the TDL the goalie coach picked the starter the past 3 years, depending on how they looked in practice. Afterwards Deboer said to the media "I pick the starting goalie now".

But yeah no doubt Walsh heard about this deal a while ago.

Kind of odd how Kenny & Granger were almost trolling people a month ago when suggestions of making cap room to re-sign Lehner were brought up...

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Selling high on McNabb makes sense, especially if they can replace him with Dillon (Deboer connection). Then they could either have a top pair of Dillon-Theodore or even Theodore-Whitecloud next season. Either way, I think Hague-Theodore or Theodore-Whitecloud is the future (4 years from now).

Or maybe take a chance on a discount Barrie at 3.5m x 3?...

PDB didn't like Dillon that much, I would put little value in that. He buried him in third pairing early on, partially because he could, but also because he saw Dillon as just a guy that he inherited. That Dillon/Polak pairing in the SCF was so painful to watch, the Pens seemed ready to score every time they were on the ice. Since then Dillon had only progressed because the Sharks moved on from Braun, otherwise he's still a 3rd pairing guy.

Now agreed McNabb being sold off wouldn't be a bad idea. His contract isn't bad for a veteran D, but he's just a guy too. I hope with McCrimmon in the GM seat the team gets a lot more serious about using younger guys. But moving guys and replacing them with mediocre veterans at a high cost makes no sense.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Given that he's very comfortable and successful playing with the Golden Knights (in that he's had a chance to scope out the city/region, meet with and get to know the guys on the team -- and bubble life has magnified that), he may have decided he doesn't have to look for greener grass.
I think he just wants to play for a team that believes in him and gives him some years on the contract. His whole situation is just so weird. Even when he had mental problems he still played some really good goaltending. Then after he got help and admitted it, NYI threw him out, despite him being a Vezina finalist. Then a measly 5 mil one year contract in Chicago, who also dumped him.

He just wants a home. If Vegas can give him that, I think he'll sign it. I really like him as a goalie, despite his size he's so athletic and he doesn't back down if things get tough.

Reactions: Puckrobber

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015

Thanks for the share. Not saying the reports are wrong, or that Lehner is lying, but this could just be a case of semantics. Lehner saying they haven't "finalized" anything yet can still mean they have an agreement in place but they just haven't officially put pen to paper so to speak.

However, I still find it shocking that this could have been done before they returned to play because Lehner had only played 3 games as a Knight at that point. Very small sample size to make a decision on giving a player a long-term contract.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Thanks for the share. Not saying the reports are wrong, or that Lehner is lying, but this could just be a case of semantics. Lehner saying they haven't "finalized" anything yet can still mean they have an agreement in place but they just haven't officially put pen to paper so to speak.

However, I still find it shocking that this could have been done before they returned to play because Lehner had only played 3 games as a Knight at that point. Very small sample size to make a decision on giving a player a long-term contract.

I'm sure they based their interest on his entire body of work. Seems like this was clearly the agenda from the trade. And as for Lehner, they probably all agreed nothing on paper or finalized until we get through this because last thing we want to do is intentionally cause issues within or around the team. It ended up happening anyways, but everyone involved can say don't blame me, nothing is signed yet.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
It would be crazy to give a spendy five year deal to a self admitted alcoholic drug addict will severe mental illness issues, ESPECIALLY in Sin City with all its temptations! A guy on one year contracts realizes that he needs to keep his nose clean but with a guaranteed five year contract it's easy to see self control and motivation go out the window!

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It would be crazy to give a spendy five year deal to a self admitted alcoholic drug addict will severe mental illness issues, ESPECIALLY in Sin City with all its temptations! A guy on one year contracts realizes that he needs to keep his nose clean but with a guaranteed five year contract it's easy to see self control and motivation go out the window!

Really? :eyeroll:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NHL has security folks. While the public face is visible at CNA to keep the fans in order, they will often work with local LEOs and probably local establishments to ensure that players do not "get out of control". I'm assuming that means gambling, drinking to excess, etc.

(That does not include protecting a player from himself, as seen in the incident with purported unpaid markers that went to court.)

My guess is that Lehner, since he went public with his struggles, has been able to stay in a "good place" with counseling, AA meetings (or similar) and other support measures he has directed to be in place.

Being in the bubble as a team goes a long way toward increasing "team bonding", so his support system should be excellent.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada

bruh...

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Probably waiting until they get Fluery sorted out. Signing Lehner first could impact their leverage in trade talks for Fleury.

Well he has 2 weeks and 3 days to get it all sorted out.

If i am being quite honest, i just don't see the Knights being able to move out a 36 year old goalie who is making 7 million dollars. Especially with how things are going right now with this pandemic and that teams are not going to be looking to add significant money.

The Knights will either have to retain significantly or attach a great asset with him to trade Fleury.

Or maybe a buyout is in order.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

If i am being quite honest, i just don't see the Knights being able to move out a 36 year old goalie who is making 7 million dollars. Especially with how things are going right now with this pandemic and that teams are not going to be looking to add significant money.

The Knights will either have to retain significantly or attach a great asset with him to trade Fleury.

Is the NHL going to approve a one time cap relief buyout? I can't see a traditional buyout happening with two years left on that deal and a guy who still can play at a good level.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

They'll just retain 30% and I don't think Fleury needs a big asset at the cap hit.

Reactions: theslatcher

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Is the NHL going to approve a one time cap relief buyout? I can't see a traditional buyout happening with two years left on that deal and a guy who still can play at a good level.

No. Owners didn't want it. (They're already banking this escrow thing for a few seasons)

It'll be up to the GMs to make the deals to reduce cap hits (if directed to do so by their owners) by moving players (with perhaps additional assets), and/or look for undrafted free agents that can be signed to minimum deals to reduce cap.

Teams with lots of cap space (on paper) may have a near-floor budget they are shooting for. Many teams are looking at ways of unloading big $$ deals to get more players signed instead. Teams willing to take on those $$ will want more.

You may just end up having to keep your cap problem if you can't find a partner, and/or buy out the problem.

Regardless, there will be a segment of VGK fandom that won't like MAF leaving the team and would resent Lehner for this entire tenure (should it come to pass).

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I'm ok with VGK keeping Fleury, and letting Lehner test free agency.
There's A LOT of goalies available, so it's not the worst thing to find another 1A-1B to work with MAF next season.

Lehner was really good in these playoffs, but not worth blowing the payroll and getting into cap hell for the next 5 years.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I'm ok with VGK keeping Fleury, and letting Lehner test free agency.
There's A LOT of goalies available, so it's not the worst thing to find another 1A-1B to work with MAF next season.

Lehner was really good in these playoffs, but not worth blowing the payroll and getting into cap hell for the next 5 years.

The team is already in cap hell & it sounds like Lehner is gonna come in cheaper than MAF. There is absolutely no legitimate hockey reason to keep Flower over Lehner.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Yes, Lehner may be cheaper to have than MAF - but something still has to be done with him. You can't just give him away for nothing.
A trade will bring someone else back that will contribute to their cap situation.
The only other option, if it even is, is to buy him out - but you'd have to convince Foley to do this, and there will still be a partial cap hit.
So is it cheaper?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yes, Lehner may be cheaper to have than MAF - but something still has to be done with him. You can't just give him away for nothing.
A trade will bring someone else back that will contribute to their cap situation.
The only other option, if it even is, is to buy him out - but you'd have to convince Foley to do this, and there will still be a partial cap hit.
So is it cheaper?

Lehner 5 million, retain 2.1 million on Fleury. Trade Fleury get something. Pay only 100k more for better and younger goalie while sorting the spot for three extra years. Three extra years where the retention goes away and you save money.

Fleury at 4.9 would interest someone for a fourth rounder or something.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Crazy list of players out available for trade, MAF may be a pretty ugly deal to get it done. Few buyers and lots of sellers. Unless Pens are really interested and can make it happen VGK might have to send him to a place they would rather not.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Crazy list of players out available for trade, MAF may be a pretty ugly deal to get it done. Few buyers and lots of sellers. Unless Pens are really interested and can make it happen VGK might have to send him to a place they would rather not.

I don't know if they're in a huge hurry to move him yet. Vegas would be at the cap ceiling now, but there's still the offseason bonus cushion should they want to spend it on a UFA...

Fleury would have more value after the rest of the goalie UFAs have signed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad