Confirmed with Link: VGK re-signED the Panda to long-term extension; 5x5

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The sooner the better. Right now cap is very tight, which would make 5-6m a reasonable offer before the draft.

Then they can move forward...

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Kypreos says Vegas might have already signed him in the ballpark of 5x5, but that the paper isn't submitted to the NHL yet. Which... Would make me ecstatic.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010

Kypreos says Vegas might have already signed him in the ballpark of 5x5, but that the paper isn't submitted to the NHL yet. Which... Would make me ecstatic.

Before the playoffs many seemed to think he'd get something along those line, maybe up to 6 mill depending on the team he end up with. Will be interesting if playoff performance would change anything, all Lehner has said afaik is that he wanted a longer contract with fair value. In that line of thought he might accept that even if he could get some inflated contract if he goes on to win the cup as a starter.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
giphy.gif

Reactions: CBJ VGK goalie

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Given that he's very comfortable and successful playing with the Golden Knights (in that he's had a chance to scope out the city/region, meet with and get to know the guys on the team -- and bubble life has magnified that), he may have decided he doesn't have to look for greener grass.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
This news probably made the rounds a few weeks ago among the inner circle of agents, which most likely lead to the tweet from Allen Walsh. From a human aspect, it sucks that Flower has to be the one to go, but it's the correct hockey decision if true.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Lehner is 29 and still in his prime. Flower is about to turn 36. Both good, but organizationally with no one in the pipelines is very clearly the right choice to go with Lehner.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
If true, I'll miss Flower. He'll forever be a Golden Knight. :cry: But, if we want a healthy, long-term goaltender at a reasonable price, plus, one that we won't have to worry about retiring in the next few years, then the Panda is our man. I just hope that if MAF is traded, he goes to a good team. Would hate to see him have to waste his last few years being miserable.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If they can really pull off a 5x5 contract and trade MAF without having to give up much, that's executive of the year type stuff. Lower your cap hit on goalies by $2m, get a guy that's six years younger and be able to keep most of your resources would be amazing. Color me skeptical though until we see how it all plays out.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
If they can really pull off a 5x5 contract and trade MAF without having to give up much, that's executive of the year type stuff. Lower your cap hit on goalies by $2m, get a guy that's six years younger and be able to keep most of your resources would be amazing. Color me skeptical though until we see how it all plays out.

I wouldn't surprised if the team exercises a buy out as a last resort. I can't see MAF on the team under any circumstances after this season ends. That tweet pretty much guaranteed that outcome.

Reactions: Ciao

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
Would be kinda hilarious if it turned out it was Lehner's agent that leaked this information. ;)

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

If he signs at 5 million they could retain 30%, 2.1 million and it would still be a wash to what they would have had with Fleury.

Fleury at 4.9 probably has enough value to get a pick.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If he signs at 5 million they could retain 30%, 2.1 million and it would still be a wash to what they would have had with Fleury.

Fleury at 4.9 probably has enough value to get a pick.

Wouldn't be bad, but I think they could do better. Maybe retain $1m to create a little extra space, and spruce it up by trading off a low-need asset.

Might be interesting to see what PDB thinks of the defense going forward. Gallant seemed to like the 1 offensive minded/1 stay at home pairings, seems PDB doesn't care for the stay at home partner much. If so Holden and Merrill (if he's even signed) become very tradeable in the org's mind, might even consider moving McNabb if the right deal comes. Then move up young players to take on regular roles and try to extend Martinez for a lot less than $4m.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
After stopping by The Armory yesterday, they've got a lot of inventory cost caught up in both goalies. :laugh:

More Panda than Flower, if that's a clue. I don't personally think it is, but it's a message board.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Wouldn't be bad, but I think they could do better. Maybe retain $1m to create a little extra space, and spruce it up by trading off a low-need asset.

Might be interesting to see what PDB thinks of the defense going forward. Gallant seemed to like the 1 offensive minded/1 stay at home pairings, seems PDB doesn't care for the stay at home partner much. If so Holden and Merrill (if he's even signed) become very tradeable in the org's mind, might even consider moving McNabb if the right deal comes. Then move up young players to take on regular roles and try to extend Martinez for a lot less than $4m.

Selling high on McNabb makes sense, especially if they can replace him with Dillon (Deboer connection). Then they could either have a top pair of Dillon-Theodore or even Theodore-Whitecloud next season. Either way, I think Hague-Theodore or Theodore-Whitecloud is the future (4 years from now).

Or maybe take a chance on a discount Barrie at 3.5m x 3?...

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Selling high on McNabb makes sense, especially if they can replace him with Dillon (Deboer connection). Then they could either have a top pair of Dillon-Theodore or even Theodore-Whitecloud next season. Either way, I think Hague-Theodore or Theodore-Whitecloud is the future (4 years from now).

Or maybe take a chance on a discount Barrie at 3.5m x 3?...

Dillon would be a great add to this roster. I'm ok with Barrie in a 3rd pair role, playing limited minutes. He would certainly help the power play.

Reactions: CupInSIX

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
May have to "overpay" for Dillon as many teams would like to sign him. But being in an income tax free state might help, all things considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad