Speculation: VGK thwart Kraken plans

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It would make more sense to use that cap space to re-sign Martinez, for example. Any team without concerns about using up a protection slot can make those trades as well.

Teams are going to find it hard to flip players a month before training camp opens.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Something that looks quite like the OP suggested happened about 30 years ago. The Flyers wanted to shield two veterans from the waiver draft (Pete Peeters and Keith Acton), so they sent them to the Jets for future considerations.
A few days later and after the waiverdraft, they reacquired Peeters and that other guy for a 6th rounder.

The NHL fined both teams as a result. 10K fines, apparently. Should this happen in 2021, I'd expect some significant inflation.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Besides, the expansion draft is overblown online and at these Boards

Expose a bunch of guys, lose one, move on

If Vegas was paying attention, they saw, that the teams that tried to 'game the system,' or buy a better outcome, like Panthers, Jackets, Ducks, well, it didn't work out that way

There will be fun, distracting threads here, leading to the announcement of exposure lists, and the drafting,

but this will again be 'much ado' about not much..

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The problem with Vegas as a whole is that they have too many big contracts on that team. And they're not in any way shape or form easy to move, unless it's to the preferred location of the player(s).

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Vegas being the only team exempt from the expansion draft can greatly affect Seattle's leverage.

How? They can take on contracts/players/player rights from teams that either don't want to lose a player or want to protect players. Obviously they would have a handshake deal with other teams whereas they would trade the player back to the same team or through another team to get around any CBA limitations.

Reason VGK would be motivated to do this would be to keep assets away from SEA in the form of good players or picks/prospect because not only is SEA in the same conference but the same division. It would be in VGK best interest to weaken direct competition. VGK could also deal only with Eastern conference teams since they will have limited amount of contracts they can take and probably wouldn't want to help out the rest of the Western conference.

Just thinking outside the box. What do you think?

you can’t stash players on vegas. Any player traded to vegas and Thrn is moved within a year later will be blocked and all teams seriously punished by forfeiting multiple draft picks

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
So how does trading a player to Vegas who has no cap space help a team out. Vegas wouldnt pay much and you just lose the next player on the list

D for F trade where team has F space to protest the player but don’t want to lose a D prospect. The theoretical cost to do this is less than Seattle cost yo not pick the player.

this move woukd be illegal if pkayer got sent back

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
No tradebacks. But there will be situations where Vegas can say, "Seattle will take this player from you. We will give you a 4th rounder so you walk away with something."

Also by keeping Fleury and Lehner this season, they can look to deal one to a team that loses a goaltender to Seattle.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Vegas being the only team exempt from the expansion draft can greatly affect Seattle's leverage.

How? They can take on contracts/players/player rights from teams that either don't want to lose a player or want to protect players. Obviously they would have a handshake deal with other teams whereas they would trade the player back to the same team or through another team to get around any CBA limitations.

Reason VGK would be motivated to do this would be to keep assets away from SEA in the form of good players or picks/prospect because not only is SEA in the same conference but the same division. It would be in VGK best interest to weaken direct competition. VGK could also deal only with Eastern conference teams since they will have limited amount of contracts they can take and probably wouldn't want to help out the rest of the Western conference.

Can not trade a player back within one calander year

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
And Vegas is going to do all this with their insane amount of cap space? As of now, they have 4.9 once the offseason begins and you only get 10% cushion. Also, pretty sure handshake trade back deals would definitely by cap circumvention.

In any case, Vegas has next to no cap space to be in a "driver seat" to hurt Seattle.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It would be pretty funny to trade a player to Vegas and have them traded back after the draft.

It would be even funnier to see a player a player traded to Vegas - and then the team doing the trading expecting to get the player traded back after draft but Vegas saying "Nah sorry, we'll keep him!"

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What if a young promising player who only counts 975K to the cap that a team knows it'll lose to Seattle is offered to Vegas in exchange for a draft pick ? The team tried exploring other trade options to not lose the player for nothing and ends up settling for a 2nd or 3rd from Vegas.

Vegas could even move said player to their AHL team if 975K salary is too much.
Would probably only be something like a 2nd round to 3rd round pick.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
The VGK can have the once in a lifetime opportunity of taking Tyler Johnson for absolutely free. Call in the next 10 minutes and we'll throw in a draft pick
Tampa will need to trade their 1st round pick and possibly more to Seattle to get rid of Johnson. That contract is bad.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Tampa will need to trade their 1st round pick and possibly more to Seattle to get rid of Johnson. That contract is bad.

I don't know about that much but it might be something. Expansion rules are too damn favorable these days. Used to be you could protect like 10 forwards, 5 defenders and 2 goalies and for that one teams would just throw out some dude you never heard of to qualify him

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
What if a young promising player who only counts 975K to the cap that a team knows it'll lose to Seattle is offered to Vegas in exchange for a draft pick ? The team tried exploring other trade options to not lose the player for nothing and ends up settling for a 2nd or 3rd from Vegas.

Vegas could even move said player to their AHL team if 975K salary is too much.
Would probably only be something like a 2nd round to 3rd round pick.
It boils down to, is the next player they are going to lose worth more or less than 2nd or 3rd round pick. Every team is going to lose a player. Vegas can perhaps pry a better player away with a good draft pick, but needs to be worth more than the next player in line. Because the original team loses 2 players and gains 1 pick/package

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I don't know about that much but it might be something. Expansion rules are too damn favorable these days. Used to be you could protect like 10 forwards, 5 defenders and 2 goalies and for that one teams would just throw out some dude you never heard of to qualify him

If I was Seattle I'm taking a Dman from Tampa Bay in the expansion draft and I'd have it in pen. Nobody took Tyler Johnson for free when he hit waivers. I would take him as a Washington native son for your 1st round pick but but trade protection could become an issue.

If you protect 4 & 4 with Stamkos (NMC), Point, Cirelli, Kuch and then Hedman, Serg, Cernak and Foote than I'm taking McD but he has a full NTC like Johnson so I need to take him in the expansion draft. If Tyler Johnson would waive to come to Seattle we could work out a trade afterwards. Or potentially a deal where you trade me one of Serg, Cernak or Foote + your 1st round pick and I take Johnson in the expansion draft so he can't block it with his trade protection.

Either way I'd be getting a Defenseman. Just a Dman if you don't want to deal or traded a Dman + your 1st if you want me to take Johnson.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017

Textbook Collusion.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
A team that trades away a player cannot hive him on his roster again for a full calendar year.

Plus, cap space. Even if we dumped our couple of UFAs, it wouldn't open a lot of space.

There is no such restriction on trades.

I stopped following all of these rules, but there used to be a rule stating that if a two teams traded the same player back and forth in the same season, that player would not be eligible for the playoffs with the team he was traded from and then back to. Not sure if that was only during the season, or if the off season counted as well.

Either way, I don't think any team does this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad