Confirmed Trade: [VGK/TBL] Nikita Gusev, '17 2nd, '18 4th to select Jason Garrison

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think McPhee had Yzerman in a tough spot. Not only did Yzerman want to keep his two young D, but this was his only opportunity to move Garrison, thanks to Garrison's NTC. McPhee made him pay for it. If Yzerman had said no, there would be no other options for getting Garrison off the books, which really could be a make or break factor for the Lightning this year.

A Garrison buyout would have been $1.53m cap, $830K cash for two years if Tampa was pushed. I wouldn't think that is going to break a Tampa. This comes down to saving the two young D.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
A Garrison buyout would have been $1.53m cap, $830K cash for two years if Tampa was pushed. I wouldn't think that is going to break a Tampa. This comes down to saving the two young D.

Probably going for a FA.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Dumba isn't there if there's no deal in place. Fletcher would have traded him away rather than lose him for nothing.
What I'm saying is, if I was McPhee, I wouldn't have accepted Minnesota's deal. I would go aggro and select Dumba anyway.

In my opinion, what Minnesota gave was no where near what other teams gave up in order to protect certain players.

You could tell from many of the draft picks that the VGK were very passive with their selections. I don't think they wanted to rock the boat too much by taking every team's most valuable unprotected player. And that is where I think they made a mistake.

I think this is fair from both team's perspective.

Garrison is imo good enough to just select without any compensation. He will probably want both term and money to stick around but at least a year, maybe more of a solid 2nd pairing dman is pretty solid so grabbing some picks are a nice bonus for a new team. We drafted Kucherov late and Palat really late so who knows.

From Tampa's perspective you shed a contract with a high caphit to make room to sign a free agent or two. The picks are more likely to not turn out to be anything so it's not a major loss, really.
One year of Garrison, versus the untapped potential of Dotchin?

Yeah, no. Dotchin would have been selected for sure if no deal was in place. Vegas could have even flipped Dotchin for picks.

The difference between the selections for Minnesota and Tampa Bay couldn't be more different. McPhee was passive with one, and aggressive with the other. Just look at the trade returns and you can see it plainly.

Last edited:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
One year of Garrison, versus the untapped potential of Dotchin?

Yeah, no. Dotchin would have been selected for sure if no deal was in place. Vegas could have even flipped Dotchin for picks.

Not sure you understand what I'm trying to get to here. Would they select Dotchin or Koekoek? Maybe but it's not like Vegas got a garbage player instead. The only bad thing about selecting Garrison from Vegas' perspective is that he might leave no matter what and not even consider resigning even if he gets a good offer. He will not get much money from a contender.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
I really like this deal for both teams.

Tampa trades extra picks and a guy who probably won't play for them and gets to keep their two young defensemen while dumping some cap so they can go after some big fish in free agency.

Vegas gets some picks, a solid defenseman whose salary doesn't really impact them, and a lottery ticket. Plus, Vegas can probably give some things up to Gusev that Yzerman couldn't/wouldn't, like more money and a one-way contract.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think this is fair from both team's perspective.

Garrison is imo good enough to just select without any compensation. He will probably want both term and money to stick around but at least a year, maybe more of a solid 2nd pairing dman is pretty solid so grabbing some picks are a nice bonus for a new team. We drafted Kucherov late and Palat really late so who knows.

From Tampa's perspective you shed a contract with a high caphit to make room to sign a free agent or two. The picks are more likely to not turn out to be anything so it's not a major loss, really.

I'm surprised you're saying that, considering Tampa has a great scouting team. Dotchin, Gusev, Paquette, Erne, Gudlevskis, Point, Stephens, Joseph, etc.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I'm surprised you're saying that, considering Tampa has a great scouting team. Dotchin, Gusev, Paquette, Erne, Gudlevskis, Point, Stephens, Joseph, etc.

I rather lose picks than proven players in general.

On a side note the only player I am excited about is Point.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I really like this deal for both teams.

Tampa trades extra picks and a guy who probably won't play for them and gets to keep their two young defensemen while dumping some cap so they can go after some big fish in free agency.

Vegas gets some picks, a solid defenseman whose salary doesn't really impact them, and a lottery ticket. Plus, Vegas can probably give some things up to Gusev that Yzerman couldn't/wouldn't, like more money and a one-way contract.

Depends on Gusev. If he becomes the next Panarin this trade will look awful.

Steve Y must know something we don't about Gusev. Because based on what he did this year in Europe, and what i've seen from him, you'd be crazy to give up a player like that AND 2 draft picks just to shed some salary and not lose an okay defenseman.

It's certainly a possibility that Tampa is going after something big as well though. Maybe Shattenkirk. They could use a 2nd pairing RHD.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
And then waiting for the end of the NHL season to trade Drouin and get Sergachev and then sign Shattenkirk, who we wanted to trade Drouin for directly at the deadline, is a great deal in my book.

That's how I see this deal. What you said, but then also Drouin for Sergachev and Shattenkirk in free agency due to the amount of cap space we've cleared in moving Garrison and Drouin.

Yes this is a case where on their own you could say Yzerman 'lost' his last two moves, but looking at the bigger picture its all smooth sailing for the ship. That's the sign of a great GM, and something people often miss when just focusing on the individual moves.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Gusev is likely to resign with SKA. I know we have tried and tried to get him over here and if he doesn't want to join all of our Russians on a winning team he sure is not going to Las Vegas. It is really a 2nd and 4th for a salary dump.

1.Gusev is not likely to resign with SKA. He is only staying away from the NHL becase of Gary.

2.You tried to get him over to play in the AHL. Why would he want that?

3.Winnning team?

4.He is not going to Las Vegas. He is going to the NHL, obviously also to be reunited with Shipachyov and Dadonov.

I can easily see him in Vegas after the next season.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
1.Gusev is not likely to resign with SKA. He is only staying away from the NHL becase of Gary.

2.You tried to get him over to play in the AHL. Why would he want that?

Please tell me you have a source, or is this your opinion?

3.Winnning team?

Yes. You are on a very small island if you don't agree

4.He is not going to Las Vegas. He is going to the NHL, obviously also to be reunited with Shipachyov and Dadonov.

I can easily see him in Vegas after the next season.

So he is not going to Vegas, but is going to Vegas? :huh: The point that I think you are trying to make is moot, the Lightning are also an NHL organization and he chose not to come over.

Las Vegas has not signed Dadonov yet, and last word was that he wanted to sign in the east. Hard to conceive that Gusev would forego playing with his superstar best friend Kucherov on a competitive team with a need in the top 6 so that he can play for a team which isn't looking to win anything in the foreseeable future.

Now that he is LV's property, I don't see him coming over until he gets past the age restrictions and can become a UFA, which should be soon.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

Your choices of examples are rather weird since there's guys like Kucherov and Palat who you didn't mention. But I agree that our drafting has been great (after the first round).

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Please tell me you have a source, or is this your opinion?
Gusev always wanted to go at some point. But why would he go now, after Gary shoots hockey in the leg by pulling out of the Olympics?

The case of Gusev is simple. He is obviously not one of the guys ready to bolt to NA to carry the bags but be in the NHL. He wanted to prove his worth in the KHL first. And he did by now. What is there left to do for him with SKA after his contract expires? He has won the Cup, he is on the NT. Of course SKA will try to throw a lot of money at him and of course things change in a year(there is always a Gary out there). But the way things are now, he is ready to move on. The only obstacle ist that Gary robs him of a chance to participate in the Olympics if he goes to NA now.

Yes. You are on a very small island if you don't agree
18th in the league is winning? One trip to the finals then a major drop off to 18th place in 2 years is not a winning team.

So he is not going to Vegas, but is going to Vegas? :huh: The point that I think you are trying to make is moot, the Lightning are also an NHL organization and he chose not to come over.

I get it, you are a fan, but you try to argue that somehow TB is much more enticing than Vegas. My point is he wants to play in the NHL someday, not in Las Vegas or Tampa Bay. And you (purposedly?) throw the time factor out of the window. He did not want to come in the past as a late round pick who is playing on a KHL team most people in NA don't even know about. He would be most definitely sent to the minors(probabaly to get lost there). He is now a mature player with a different resume. And he has earned some money with SKA too. Let's not forget about that. He is a whole lot different position now if he wants to come over to the NHL.

Las Vegas has not signed Dadonov yet, and last word was that he wanted to sign in the east. Hard to conceive that Gusev would forego playing with his superstar best friend Kucherov on a competitive team with a need in the top 6 so that he can play for a team which isn't looking to win anything in the foreseeable future.

Everybody seems to go nuts about that friendships thing. Even the NT coaching staff. We've seen at the WC that friendship and pro-sports are very different animals.

Yes, Vegas hasn't signed Dadonov yet, but they have Shipachyov, they trade for Gusev and there are rumors about Dadonov. It think it is a good guess GMGM at least gave it a thought, right?

Both cases are speculative. Wheteher Gusev seriously wanted to play with Kuch or if he is lured by the option of being reunited with his SKA mates.

It is an even better guess though that he knows a whole lot more about the situation from Shipachyov and Dadonov, especially about what Dadonov actually wants.

What we do know is that hs agent anounced a visit to the team.

Now that he is LV's property, I don't see him coming over until he gets past the age restrictions and can become a UFA, which should be soon.

Why? Because Vegas is so much worse than Tampa? I don't think he cares much about that. He would get a much bigger role with the Knights obviously than he'd ever get with the Lightning btw.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Possibly the best deal from Vegas. I knoe that we’re not sure about Gusev being a NHLer soon, but I figure that he will transfer a day or another. With Shipashiov like the brand mark, Gusev could be an asset sooner than expected

My choice would be Koekkoek. He’s good but unproven .

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Vegas can still trade his rights. I never counted on Gusev anyway.

Vegas will have a hard time to sign UFA when in competition with other teams.

rights won't matter he can sign with any nhl team at 27 years old after july 1st as a ufa unless he has a opt out after one year ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad